Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So where are you travelling to for the festive period

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

burglars will love your announcing you will be away on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

braddun wrote: »

Eh..only if they know the anonymous people on here :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Dublin.

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm coming home to have my first Christmas in 9 years in Ireland, and my brother's wedding too.

Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

So where are you travelling to for the festive period.

Back to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ditto back to Ireland, a 3 stopper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

braddun wrote: »

See my post on the first page!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Getting wasted and making my family regret being related to me, that's what Christmas in Ireland is about, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Flyin home from Canada for a few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Flying from Vancouver to Dublin on Wednesday night on a one way ticket :D and me mother hasnt got the slightest clue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I'll be making the pilgrimage back from the exciting world of European finance in Frankfurt to drab and dreary East Galway.

I always initially like my visits home. Hearing how people are doing, letting them know how well I've done. Inevitably though I grow bored of listening to how Frankie Muldoon bought a 12 Ford Mondeo or Theresa Gibbons got an extension on the house and most of the people in my hometown couldn't begin to understand what it is I do. Each year I come back I realise how little I have in common with small-town Ireland.

I can imagine the conversation...

Local Paddy: Glad to have the christmas upon us now, few days off, get tired of trek up and down to dublin. Hows the internet start up ted?

Local Ted: Not bad, might be launching an IPO next year..... oh god look who's in? Aongus.

Local Paddy: Oh god, whats he at now? Working in a bank is it?

Local ted: Ya, or more like it, sits at a computer and runs programmes that tell what buttons to push. Oh god he's coming over, I'll start the conversation before he tries to explain what version of excel he's using.

Aongus: Hello boys...

Ted: Aongus, oh sure looka who tis, tis Aongus back from Germania, Did you hear Mary got a new mondeo, a 12, no recession there yak yak yak...

Paddy: Well done ted, that got rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Flying from Vancouver to Dublin on Wednesday night on a one way ticket :D and me mother hasnt got the slightest clue :D

Not to freak you, but a friend of mine was living in NY and decided to do this. His family also decided to surprise him in NY. Hilarity ensued. Between the four of them they spent nearly 7000 on flights alone to surprise each other. :pac:
    They all met eventually in Sligo on the 27th. He had to return to NY on the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm staying at home with my family....have some decent time of work this year so looking forward to a few days putting my feet up, indulging in seriously unhealthy foods (and drink!) and generally being idle!

Not to freak you, but a friend of mine was living in NY and decided to do this. His family also decided to surprise him in NY. Hilarity ensued. Between the four of them they spent nearly 7000 on flights alone to surprise each other. :pac:
    They all met eventually in Sligo on the 27th. He had to return to NY on the 30th.

Ahh jesus that would be a nightmare if that happened! Lucky enough my sister knows im back so no need to panick :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Nice! Are you moving home for good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

London -> Dublin on Sunday 21st. Home for 10 days, and will be down in Limerick visiting OH's family for some of that.

Nice! Are you moving home for good?

Thats the plan! See how it goes back home for a few months and if its not working out then might move over to London!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'll be in Cork with the baby and herselves family. (I'm from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Back to Trim for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't know if that actually counts as being away from home.....

To clarify, I'm staying five minutes away from "home" home, i.e. my parents' home! I don't live anywhere near there, so it's actually a proper holiday for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Thats the plan! See how it goes back home for a few months and if its not working out then might move over to London!

Good luck with your plan.Would love to see your mam's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Dun Laoghaire->Dundrum->Dun Laoghaire

'Tis some life I tell yer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Deco99 wrote:
    Is that bog-ar*e of nowhere called home before you went to college joined a society full of people who like you know have travelled and totally seen the world?

No, born and only lived in Dublin, if you must know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Ireland :) 9 days to go, cannot wait!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I believe I shall be moving from the bedroom to the sitting room this festive season.*

*excluding nights out, etc,etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Home for the night. Some of us don't get two weeks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

We stay put over Christmas. We have 4 dogs and Christmas is a difficult time to arrange someone to look after them so it's just easier to stay at home. Plus, it wouldn't really feel like Christmas if it was spent away from our dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I live in North Cork but I'm heading to Achill for two weeks from the 20th - can't wait.

We stay put over Christmas. We have 4 dogs and Christmas is a difficult time to arrange someone to look after them so it's just easier to stay at home. Plus, it wouldn't really feel like Christmas if it was spent away from our dogs.

I'm excited about getting the doggy stocking !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'll be making the pilgrimage back from the exciting world of European finance in Frankfurt to drab and dreary East Galway.

I always initially like my visits home. Hearing how people are doing, letting them know how well I've done. Inevitably though I grow bored of listening to how Frankie Muldoon bought a 12 Ford Mondeo or Theresa Gibbons got an extension on the house and most of the people in my hometown couldn't begin to understand what it is I do. Each year I come back I realise how little I have in common with small-town Ireland.

Jays you sound like a barrel of laughs. Germany has really rubbed off of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Oh and I'm doing Warsaw to Galway. 1 week :D
    Can't wait to come home. This contracting ****e is getting on my nerves with being away from home for so long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well thats my flights booked, off in the 23rd to Edinburgh on route to Dundee and then Dunblane, will probably take in Glasgow, Bridge of Allan and Stirling too and then back to Dublin on the 5th. I wish Shannon still done the flights to Edinburgh, was just an hour and a half from Galway, still the Citylink and Gobus are a pretty fast commute to Dublin airport.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Tunisia, as far away from Xmas as I can get TBH

The festive period starts this weekend for me. OH coming home from Scotland and will be here for over 3 weeks. Daughter No.2 finishes uni on Friday and apart from a couple of exams is off till near the end of Jan.

Only one missing will be my eldest daughter who is in Oz so a huge thank you goes out to the inventor of Skype. :) x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Well thats my flights booked, off in the 23rd to Edinburgh on route to Dundee and then Dunblane, will probably take in Glasgow, Bridge of Allan and Stirling too and then back to Dublin on the 5th. I wish Shannon still done the flights to Edinburgh, was just an hour and a half from Galway, still the Citylink and Gobus are a pretty fast commute to Dublin airport.

Aer Lingus fly Shannon Edinburgh and Ryanair have it on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Getting home on the 21st but back to Belgium in time for work Christmas eve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Chucken wrote: »
    Aer Lingus fly Shannon Edinburgh and Ryanair have it on again.

How much though, I got a return for 89 euros with a checked in bag each way so not too bad. I had to wait till I got date confirmations before I could book otherwise I would've have booked last Thursday as it was 39 euros cheaper. I checked Shannon on Ryanair and there was no flights going on Thursday for the December and January calender.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Home with the family but my one fear is that the odious in laws will call to us as they are a nasty bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

SMJSF wrote: »
    Down the bog-ar*e of nowhere down the country on Xmas eve.... going to be extremely bored by about 12pm Xmas day!

Your family take after you then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

mosstin wrote:
    Your family take after you then?

my family take after me? Who ever said that there's anybody younger than me in "my family"? and did I say I was going to relatives?
    For all you know I could be minding a house, or working...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Festive Period? A tampon with tinsel???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I'm going 2000 miles, its very far through the snow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Flying from London to Cork on the 22nd, back on the evening of the 1st. Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

You'll be bored within 48 hours.

Lol no I won't! Isn't that for teenagers or people with no imagination! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Travelling from the midlands up to Donegal for Christmas to spend it with the outlaws. It's the first Christmas in all of my 30 years that I won't be spending it with my own family. It's gonna be strange, good, but strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

About five miles up the road on Christmas Day to my brother's for dinner. There'll be a job lot of us - 10-14 depending on which of his inlaws has to be elsewhere or not. Other than that, I don't have to be anywhere which is a blessed relief as "Me Time" has been a bit short on the ground the past six months.

This year my mother has cancelled her usual "Everybody *must* come to mine and be ordered about in nagging tones while I moan about how hard it is to heat up bought-in 'meh' on a plate and then drop large hints about when can ye all feck off again so I can watch Coronation Street.", err, wholesome family gathering. Re-fecking-sult.

Advertisement