Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Undertaker Reportedly In WWE’s Wrestlemania 31 Plans

• 08-12-2014 10:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

PWInsider

"Sources indicate that The Undertaker is currently slated for Wrestlemania 31 plans. His image has been used for Wrestlemania marketing materials, including wraps WWE has placed on their production buses and trucks.

As noted by PWInsider.com last month, we were told the Sting debut (which we broke) was to set the stage for an eventual Undertaker-Sting showdown"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    PWInsider

"Sources indicate that The Undertaker is currently slated for Wrestlemania 31 plans. His image has been used for Wrestlemania marketing materials, including wraps WWE has placed on their production buses and trucks.

As noted by PWInsider.com last month, we were told the Sting debut (which we broke) was to set the stage for an eventual Undertaker-Sting showdown"

Hmmm. Will an Undertaker-Sting match get any story besides an in-ring staredown into a crook of the head to the Wrestlemania sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

So Sting in potentially his one and only fight in WWE is going to lose? No way in a match that will be billed as the best of WCW vs the best of WWE is sting going to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Prolly have just gotten him to agree that if he's not up to taking part that he'll headline the hall of fame inductions.

Alternatively, an external entity assisting Sting (i.e. to give Sting an absolute f*ckton of smoke and mirrors) for his feud with Hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Could be photo-shoped could be real.

image_13.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sorry just spotted this thread on the front page. Sting is in the wwe now? That's amazing but isn't he ancient like older than undertaker old, late 50 ' s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

rob316 wrote: »
    Sorry just spotted this thread on the front page. Sting is in the wwe now? That's amazing but isn't he ancient like older than undertaker old, late 50 ' s.

He made a surprise appearance doing a walk-in during the Survivor Series main event. He is in his 50's and looks every day of it going by his thinning hairline.

There's been rumours of a Sting v Taker match all year even stoked up by Sting himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think Sting would still be able to put on a good enough match. Did he ever have any major career-altering injuries? The character would carry the crowd through it, like WrestleMania XVIII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think Sting would still be able to put on a good enough match. Did he ever have any major career-altering injuries? The character would carry the crowd through it, like WrestleMania XVIII.

Last time I saw him he's in incredible shape for his age, you couldn't say the same about taker though. Sting could still do a pretty good match I'd say. Moves alot better than hogan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Character v Character, this would no doubt be a hit, apart from Austin and Hogan Sting v Undertaker probably doesnt get any better then that.

As an actual match, it could stink the place out of it, sting has been floundering around in TNA for 10 years, he is not HBK, Punk or Edge who could step up and put on a show that we've seen from taker in the last few Manias, 10-15 years ago, i probably would have liked to have seen these 2 in the ring, now both in their 50's, i couldnt be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The most recent episode of the Monday Night Wars, posted after Survivor Series, was about Sting and Taker being the cornerstones of WWE and WCW throughout the years and their loyalty to their companies through all of it making them the iconic figures of each company. If it goes ahead it would be a lot of hype to try and live up to for a pair of guys in their 50s, even Sting and Taker.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Last time I saw him he's in incredible shape for his age, you couldn't say the same about taker though. Sting could still do a pretty good match I'd say. Moves alot better than hogan anyway.
    That is what I'm saying. What I have seen of him suggests that he's in better shape than other guys his age. I believe that he has looked after himself and didn't fall into some of the same traps that his peers did by going hard on the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

If this is to be a match, you'd need a full program. I'm tired of seeing Taker come in for two weeks and it's actually really an affront to his character because Taker can tell good stories when he gets the opportunity. Chances are the match itself won't be great so real emotional investment is crucial. Sometimes I question how much the Undertaker still enjoys wrestling or how much he should even be there because he only works a short program and fecks off again.

Anyway the match should really be Taker v Wyatt.

I thought that if anyone would have been suited to end the streak this year it would have been Bray Wyatt. They could have made him a career heel on that one if they had done it right. As it stands, the Brock Lesnar thing has made more and more sense to me over time. But it is going to feel a bit too soon when he loses the championship now (to Roman Reigns probably).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

If anyone should have ended the streak it should have been Orton or Edge way back when. Failing that, Punk last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    So Sting in potentially his one and only fight in WWE is going to lose? No way in a match that will be billed as the best of WCW vs the best of WWE is sting going to win it.

Maybe Sting will beat Triple H at the rumble to build some momentum for Mania. Anyway Sting could beat Undertaker; the streak is over and it could also be a retirement match where the loser has to retire - could go either way then.

I don't think the audience (I include myself in this) would be too invested in a stipulation like that for a Sting match. He hasn't ever wrestled a match for the company so retirement is no loss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

briany wrote: »

Anyway the match should really be Taker v Wyatt.

One thing that always stuck with me was a conversation I had on the boards podcast way back with Moneymaker iirc where it was suggested that due to their age and the fear that the match might not be able to live up to the hype it be turned into a tag match with

Taker and Sting vs The Wyatts

obviously at this stage Wyatt would need to recruit some new members (Ascension) have been rumoured but it's still allow for the epic Sting/Taker promos before being swerved into the set up for this match and Bray would fit in with this dynamic plus neither Sting nor Taker would then have to lose.

A good thing about Sting/Taker working together like this is it would mean we don't have HHH vs Sting which although it could be decent would free up HHH to put over an up and coming face like Dean Ambrose at Maniafor example

Hell you could even have it worked into the HHH / Sting angle where Wyatt and Co have been set on Sting by Hunter before Taker surprises them by actually siding with Sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Did i read somewhere on the dirt-sheets that Sting has sign a 6 appearance (including match's) contract?

Sting vs Taker would be unreal to see but with two ageing guys the match could stink a little!

Ps. Am i the only one that thinks Brock wasn't meant to end the streak? I was there that night and the image for 21-1 didn't seem to appear till 2mins after the match was actually over! Spoke with a few people outside in the smoking area and many of them agreed that they thought taker was knocked out after the F-5 or something happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I always thought he would be back for at least 1 more. How he reacts to losing the streak is one big storyline they have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Am i the only one that thinks Brock wasn't meant to end the streak? I was there that night and the image for 21-1 didn't seem to appear till 2mins after the match was actually over! Spoke with a few people outside in the smoking area and many of them agreed that they thought taker was knocked out after the F-5 or something happened!

No there was a few people around who thought that, but think it no more. Vinny Mac said the streak ends, so it ended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

No there was a few people around who thought that, but think it no more. Vinny Mac said the streak ends, so it ended

I duno, I still think it was a false finish!

What if it was a false finish tho? WWE aint gonna to come out and admit that there was a false finish in a match on the grand stage of them all involving 2 of their biggest superstars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Imagine the Rumble, sting comes in mid 20s, clears the ring, possibly HHH or not, but 30 & the gong goes off

I'd pay to see that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I thought that if anyone would have been suited to end the streak this year it would have been Bray Wyatt. They could have made him a career heel on that one if they had done it right. As it stands, the Brock Lesnar thing has made more and more sense to me over time. But it is going to feel a bit too soon when he loses the championship now (to Roman Reigns probably).

WWE would be paying these guys crazy money to come in, they're only going to be putting these guys in with people who will make this match sell, previously PPVs, now the network.

The only 2 non-veterans you could sell this with are Rollins and Ambrose and with the latter even that would require a compelling build-up program.

Obviously I'm talking present tense now for Undertaker or Sting, rather than a year ago when the only permanent members of the roster suitable for the role would have been Cena, Bryan and Punk, and people would have HATED Cena doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ageyev wrote: »
    If anyone should have ended the streak it should have been Orton or Edge way back when. Failing that, Punk last year.

no it should have been cena in cowboy stadium. perfect opportunity straight after to make cena the most hated heel since vince in 1997

anyway its incredible how slow pwinsider are on this story. those buses with taker painted on the side have been reported for months. http://www.wrestlingforum.com/general-wwe/1423273-undertaker-truck-wrestlemania-31-a.html it doesn't mean anything btw given bryan was advertised all over the place during the mania 31 ticket launch and he isn't really being considered for any mania storylines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Imagine the Rumble, sting comes in mid 20s, clears the ring, possibly HHH or not, but 30 & the gong goes off

I'd pay to see that!

Then one of them will have to be in the title match at Mania.

Pretty terrible idea.

You could have Stinger cleaning house like you suggested, but still with a few people left.

Lights go out, gong, lights come back and Sting gets eliminated while he's distracted.

Immediately sets up the match at Mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I'd guess it to be Sting vs HHH at the Rumble. Sting wins and gathers momentum for Mania.

I think Taker and Sting can put together a good match. Taker was concussed last year after an F5 or something which I think went a long way to the match not being on the same level as previous Streak matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Ps. Am i the only one that thinks Brock wasn't meant to end the streak? I was there that night and the image for 21-1 didn't seem to appear till 2mins after the match was actually over! Spoke with a few people outside in the smoking area and many of them agreed that they thought taker was knocked out after the F-5 or something happened!

I was there too and I remember thinking the same thing, but then again when 75 odd thousand people collectively go into shock I don't think that they're really thinking clearly directly afterwards :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Taker vs Sting. Is it something I really want to see. I don't know. Part of me is excited for it. But, Taker and Sting both move horribly now. I'd genuinely love to see Taker finish up at this stage. He's given enough of his body. Nobody can expect any more from him than he's already given.Same goes for Sting.

I feel the build and video packages WWE are capable of producing will be far better than any match these 2 could have together

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sting, Taker and Ziggler v Triple H, Rollins and Wyatt

Something like that where you mix part timers with current stars who may not have an obvious and important place on the card this year. It could give Ziggler a mania moment tagging with two elite level heros of wrestling. Rollins as Mr MITB could be kept in a prominent match and ready for a possible cash in. Wyatt gets to mix with two mysterious superstars and in particular taking on the Undertaker would be very good for him and possibly last chance to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I have always felt that Taker-Lesnar II has been what they are working towards. Heyman once again mentioned Taker in his Raw promo a few weeks back.. to me it's the obvious way to go. Bill it as Taker's last match, can he avenge last years loss and go out on a high with his reputation restored. You could have Taker cost Lesnar the title at RR, or less likely have their WM match for the title, giving Taker the chance to retire as Champion.

Advertisement