Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot size.

• 08-12-2014 10:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I have a bmw 5 series. and the boot space is 520 litres.

Herself was looking at a qashqai and I checked the boot space and surprised to find out the boot is only 430 litres.

now I know the 5 series is a big machine with a decent boot. but I thought the qashqai would have a similar size boot if not bigger - due to boot being taller etc.

how are there boot sizes measured ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Generally below the window line or luggage cover. The more important thing however is the size of the opening, even a humble fiat panda with the back seats down will carry a washing machine, a 5 series saloon will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Generally below the window line or luggage cover. The more important thing however is the size of the opening, even a humble fiat panda with the back seats down will carry a washing machine, a 5 series saloon will not.

You might get the washing machine into the Nissan but will the weedy 1.5 Dci be able to pull it?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Qashqai despite it's SUV appearance is really only a medium sized hatchback with higher ground clearance and beefed up wheel arches. It was never designed to be anything else.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Qashqai despite it's SUV appearance is really only a medium sized hatchback with higher ground clearance and beefed up wheel arches. It was never designed to be anything else.

That describes a lot of irish "jeeps" as their owners like to call them. Terrible vehicles...

• Advertisement

In fairness, they have done well on the sales chart for Nissan. People like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

One of the big downside of suv types is for all the outside appearence,usable boot space is relatively small.Saloons like the passat have thespace but are handicapped by not being able to carry high sided stuff.The octavia which I have has 590 litre boot but is a liftback and swallows everything.Toyota used do the liftback-saloon shape on outside but hatch opening-in the corolla and avensis back arond 1997 to 2003 and its ideal.Estates a good alternative nowadays as they are stylish and no longer the boxy shpes of years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Thanks for all the replies. yeah, there suv type vehicles, despite their size seem to have small boots.

The Ford C Max on the other hand has a boot size of 666 litres and is cheaper than most suvs.

and the reason she is looking for suv = she has bad back so bending down putting children in and out of car on lower type vehicles is painful......... she has tested with the slightly higher elevation of suv and all good. plus need a boot for a double buggy and bags, toys etc to need a decent size boot.

Can anyone think of another vehicle that suits ?

jca wrote: »
    You might get the washing machine into the Nissan but will the weedy 1.5 Dci be able to pull it?:D

My wife has a grand Scenic with a 106bhp version of the 1.5dci. It's no race car, a little bit of turbo lag, but it pulls just fine, surprisingly well when you consider the size of the engine and the car.

My wife has a grand Scenic with a 106bhp version of the 1.5dci. It's no race car, a little bit of turbo lag, but it pulls just fine, surprisingly well when you consider the size of the engine and the car.

The only thing I can agree with you on your post is about the turbo lag, and it's more than a little.... Sorry I'm just not a fan of that engine irrespective of what vehicle it's shoehorned into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks for all the replies. yeah, there suv type vehicles, despite their size seem to have small boots.

The Ford C Max on the other hand has a boot size of 666 litres and is cheaper than most suvs.

and the reason she is looking for suv = she has bad back so bending down putting children in and out of car on lower type vehicles is painful......... she has tested with the slightly higher elevation of suv and all good. plus need a boot for a double buggy and bags, toys etc to need a decent size boot.

Can anyone think of another vehicle that suits ?

Considerably more expensive, but the Volvo XC60 is what we have. Double buggy doesn't even come close to getting in the boot of my 5 Series, but fits in the XC60 no problem, and much easier to load the kids in than a Saloon/Estate car. Boot is very wide in the XC60, but not especially deep and we can't put the load cover over when the buggy is in.

Not as much boot space left in the XC60 as we had in the previous V70, once the massive buggy is in, but the XC60 is a damn sight more manoeuvrable than the Estate.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Considerably more expensive, but the Volvo XC60 is what we have. Double buggy doesn't even come close to getting in the boot of my 5 Series, but fits in the XC60 no problem, and much easier to load the kids in than a Saloon/Estate car. Boot is very wide in the XC60, but not especially deep and we can't put the load cover over when the buggy is in.

Not as much boot space left in the XC60 as we had in the previous V70, once the massive buggy is in, but the XC60 is a damn sight more manoeuvrable than the Estate.

Yeah, Volvo XC 60 is way too expensive for me.

Any other options ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yeah, Volvo XC 60 is way too expensive for me.

Any other options ?

Nissan X-Trail, but in very, very short supply.

Mazda CX5 - not 100% sure on boot size, starts around 30k

Peugeot 3008 - again, not sure on boot size.

Rav4 has a decent sized boot, also starts around €30k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I saw a new-ish stoating great LWB Land Cruiser the other day. The luggage space behind the seats was noticeably limited, much smaller than the oul' Mk. I Mondo I had years ago. As for the 5-Series, the boot in them is absolutely cavernous.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I saw a new-ish stoating great LWB Land Cruiser the other day. The luggage space behind the seats was noticeably limited, much smaller than the oul' Mk. I Mondo I had years ago. As for the 5-Series, the boot in them is absolutely cavernous.

Dosent seem to fit a double buggy though :)

Dosent seem to fit a double buggy though :)

No, it's more of a golf-clubs sort of setup! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Any other options ?

Most 7 seat MPV's (or FUV's as some are calling them now, family utility vehicle), either small/Mini or Compact/Medium MPV's have a boot of 600+ litres, some over 700 litres with seat 6+7 not in use. Very versatile and practical for families, and most modern ones are easy on the eye, new C4 GP, Facelifted 5008, Zafira Tourer for example. They are as high up as most SUV's in a similar class, but much better suited to families. For similar practicality in an SUV you need to look at larger SUV's, Santa Fe etc, even the new X-Trail is smaller and less practical than a proper MPV.

Most 7 seat MPV's (or FUV's as some are calling them now, family utility vehicle), either small/Mini or Compact/Medium MPV's have a boot of 600+ litres, some over 700 litres with seat 6+7 not in use. Very versatile and practical for families, and most modern ones are easy on the eye, new C4 GP, Facelifted 5008, Zafira Tourer for example. They are as high up as most SUV's in a similar class, but much better suited to families. For similar practicality in an SUV you need to look at larger SUV's, Santa Fe etc, even the new X-Trail is smaller and less practical than a proper MPV.

Yeah, I was thinking of buying one of these 7 seater things and not using seats 6 and 7, just leaving them folded down for the increased boot size they offer.

People like them.

And that's what counts! People talk about weedy engines and the like. Most people in these cars are probably coming from 1.4 petrol's or similar, so its a non issue.

We recently changed from a 520d M Sport to a 5008. You will hear some of the following

Automatic Box = Dog
    1.6 eHDI 115 = Weedy Engine
    MPV = Horrible looking Bus

Fact is my Wife loves it, massively prefers it over the BMW, loves the automatic, loves the high up seating position (which sorted her hip pain), plenty of power for her, buckets of space with flexible seating everywhere, and what's more, the kids love it too!

I cant argue with that.

• Advertisement

We recently changed from a 520d M Sport to a 5008. You will hear some of the following

Automatic Box = Dog
    1.6 eHDI 115 = Weedy Engine
    MPV = Horrible looking Bus

Fact is my Wife loves it, massively prefers it over the BMW, loves the automatic, loves the high up seating position (which sorted her hip pain), plenty of power for her, buckets of space with flexible seating everywhere, and what's more, the kids love it too!

I cant argue with that.

good to hear. is this a 7 seater ?
    whats the boot like ?
    any issues with it ? electrical, engine etc ?

good to hear. is this a 7 seater ?
    whats the boot like ?
    any issues with it ? electrical, engine etc ?

Yes its a 7 seater, Peugeot 5008, with no permanent need for the back two seats. TBH, in a compact MPV (which is a medium MPV), in all 7 seaters, seat 6 & 7 are occasional adult use or for kids.

Boot is pretty big as you would expect (think mine is circa 700L up to the window line, but you can take out the cover for extra space.) and you should have no problem there, albeit when seats 6 & 7 are folded away. Not much Boot space when in use. This is normal for all MPV's, some offer very little space with all seats in use, some offer a small bit more, but nothing major. Even most large MPVs would not take a double buggy with all 7 seats in place.

Any issues, now there's a question, not yet, its a 14 registered car. But look, there are quite a few options, maybe test drive a few and see what you think. Each had their advantages and disadvantages. I drove them all, nearly drove me mad!

Nissan Qashqai +2 has a third row of seats which can be folded down if not needed, to extend the boot space.

Nissan Qashqai +2 has a third row of seats which can be folded down if not needed, to extend the boot space.

Probably a good choice, albeit if the new X-Trail is anything to go by, not as practical, but less utilitarian.
    In the end wasn't a runner for me, I could not get three child seats in the second row. From what I remember the +2 certainly hold their value quite well.

Yes its a 7 seater, Peugeot 5008, with no permanent need for the back two seats. TBH, in a compact MPV (which is a medium MPV), in all 7 seaters, seat 6 & 7 are occasional adult use or for kids.

Boot is pretty big as you would expect (think mine is circa 700L up to the window line, but you can take out the cover for extra space.) and you should have no problem there, albeit when seats 6 & 7 are folded away. Not much Boot space when in use. This is normal for all MPV's, some offer very little space with all seats in use, some offer a small bit more, but nothing major. Even most large MPVs would not take a double buggy with all 7 seats in place.

Any issues, now there's a question, not yet, its a 14 registered car. But look, there are quite a few options, maybe test drive a few and see what you think. Each had their advantages and disadvantages. I drove them all, nearly drove me mad!

yeah, I wouldn't really be using seats 6 and 7, only an odd time like.

Thats the problem in all this, there is so much bloody options in this suv/mpv etc segment : sportage, ix35, c-max, c4 picasso, 5008, qashqai, qashqai+2, rav4, zafira, kuga, Cr-V

Im looking for something that is reliable
    with a bit of height due to her selves bad back
    a 600 litre + boot
    that dosent cost an arm and a leg

But am perplexed by all the choice

Probably a good choice, albeit if the new X-Trail is anything to go by, not as practical, but less utilitarian.
    In the end wasn't a runner for me, I could not get three child seats in the second row. From what I remember the +2 certainly hold their value quite well.

just looked at a few pics there on carzone. so the pug 5008 seems to have 3 individual full size seats in the back, whereas the Qashqai+2 dosent have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The thing is though, that a simple capacity measurement doesn't tell the whole story. Shape, loading height, intrusion of wheel arches, size and shape of opening etc. etc. all come into play combined with the obvious one of what exactly what kind of things you're going to be loading it with. If it's buggies, pushchairs etc. then the only real way to tell is to go along to a dealer and try it out by trying to pack a typical (for you) load.

Just search for 2012, diesel, manual

Qashqai +2 : price ranges are 17,900 - 25,995

Peugeot 5008 : price ranges are 16,975 - 21,000

Now I didn't really take into account mileage and engine sizes etc, but still, high level, bit of a price difference

just looked at a few pics there on carzone. so the pug 5008 seems to have 3 individual full size seats in the back, whereas the Qashqai+2 dosent have

MPV v SUV. MPV is more utilitarian, SUV might look better
    Alun wrote: »
    The thing is though, that a simple capacity measurement doesn't tell the whole story. Shape, loading height, intrusion of wheel arches, size and shape of opening etc. etc. all come into play combined with the obvious one of what exactly what kind of things you're going to be loading it with. If it's buggies, pushchairs etc. then the only real way to tell is to go along to a dealer and try it out by trying to pack a typical (for you) load.

Spot on!

How many kids have you OP? Im not sure I'd buy a 7 seater with two kids or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Pretty much nails it. The boot on the 159, for example, is big enough to easily carry an adult body with space to spare, in case you also need to store a rifle and/or a shovel :D:

66768754_bb62a70139.jpg

Last July, however, I struggled to make a 50x50x50 box go through the access hole. In the end I had to push it down diagonally and apply some force. Luckily enough, it didn't contain crystals. Nor human organs.

Generally, contrary to popular belief all 4-door saloons have bigger boots than 3 or 5 doors hatchbacks, but getting stuff in is a right b1tch.

Unless it's bodies. They bend.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Pretty much nails it. The boot on the 159, for example, is big enough to easily carry an adult body with space to spare, in case you also need to store a rifle and/or a shovel :D:

Last July, however, I struggled to make a 50x50x50 box go through the access hole. In the end I had to push it down diagonally and apply some force. Luckily enough, it didn't contain crystals. Nor human organs.

Generally, contrary to popular belief all 4-door saloons have bigger boots than 3 or 5 doors hatchbacks, but getting stuff in is a right b1tch.

Unless it's bodies. They bend.

I had a Mustang as a rental in the US about 10 years ago, the last model before Ford went all retro with it. On the inside of the bootlid, there was an emergency release handle :eek:

MPV v SUV. MPV is more utilitarian, SUV might look better

Spot on!

How many kids have you OP? Im not sure I'd buy a 7 seater with two kids or less.

Ive got 2

but maybe in a year or 2, might go for 3, so just forward thinking

Ive got 2

but maybe in a year or 2, might go for 3, so just forward thinking

No point in being forced to change car again. We did something similar when our second arrived nearly 5 years ago. My wifes Micra had to go back then so we future proofed with a Grand Scenic which we still have.

No point in being forced to change car again. We did something similar when our second arrived nearly 5 years ago. My wifes Micra had to go back then so we future proofed with a Grand Scenic which we still have.

How do you find the grand scenic for reliability and boot space ?

How do you find the grand scenic for reliability and boot space ?

The boot is huge for a start with the rearmost seats down. With the middle row of seats out, I've managed to get three 8'x4' sheets of plasterboard into it with the boot closed.

Reliability wise, the curse of modern diesels, the Dual Mass Flywheel, failed about 3 years ago. If you're buying a diesel, any diesel these days, it's pretty much pot luck as to whether this will happen to you.

The electric parking brake does not disengage automatically, it engages automatically when you stop the engine and it engages and disengages just fine with the manual control on the dash. We've never bothered to get it checked.

Other than that
    -the turbo whistles, it always has, it's not getting any worse
    -when the original battery was on the way out, all manner of electrical gremlins were popping up, a new battery made them all go away
    -it's been to the body shop a few times for minor scrapes by both me and my wife but also for a rear ending, none of which are inherent problems with the car

• Advertisement

...-when the original battery was on the way out, all manner of electrical gremlins were popping up, a new battery made them all go away...

Jags do that as well when its Battery Time, chief. It's like Borley Rectory. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They usually give the boot space with seats up/down on Parkers.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/ford/grand-c-max/estate/comfort/
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/volkswagen/touran/estate/comfort/

The squarer the shape the bigger it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Best descriptions I've ever heard in regard to Qashqai (from people that owned them) are:

Qashqai - Hatchback that needs to go to weightwatchers.

Qashqai+2 - Qashqai with a boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Get an estate if you need space. I love estates, wouldn't buy a saloon or faux-by four.

herself is awful fond of the qashqai.

do people think a standard Qashqai is a big enough vehicle for TWO children under 2 year of age ?

EDIT :

Do people think a standard Qashqai is a big enough vehicle for TWO children under 2 year of age and 2 adults to go off on weekends. So add in luggage, car seats, pram, toys maybe

• Advertisement

do people think a qashqai is a big enough vehicle for a young children under 2 year of age ?

Yes but it's unlikely to be big enough for 3 under 5 if you know what I mean.

do people think a qashqai is a big enough vehicle for a young children under 2 year of age ?

sorry. .I asked that wrong. also, forget what I said earlier in thread.

here is correct question

do people think a 2012 standard qashqai is a big enough vehicle for
    TWO children under 2 years of age ?

sorry. .I asked that wrong. also, forget what I said earlier in thread.

here is correct question

do people think a 2012 standard qashqai is a big enough vehicle for
    TWO children under 2 year of age ?

I don't think either of them should be driving, to be perfectly straight with you chief! :)

I don't think either of them should be driving, to be perfectly straight with you chief! :)

good sneer but not the answer I was looking for ; )))

good sneer but not the answer I was looking for ; )))

What answer are you looking for - an artic? How big are the two-year-olds??

What answer are you looking for - an artic? How big are the two-year-olds??

just looking for an answer from someone with real world experience of lugging around 2 young kids and all the stuff associated with that ( car seats, full size prams, toys etc ) and how the Qashqai does with all of this.

just looking for an answer from someone with real world experience of lugging around 2 young kids and all the stuff associated with that ( car seats, full size prams, toys etc ) and how the Qashqai does with all of this.

Any big-ish estate will wipe the floor with any of those stupid things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Anyone I know with a Qashqai loves it. I always thought the space was a bit tight myself. Much prefer a MPV like a S Max, Touran, Grand Scenic. More room, more flexibility. Always end up bringing a grand parent or two, extra child, or going to the park with scooters, bikes etc.

Any big-ish estate will wipe the floor with any of those stupid things.

but we need the height of the qashqai due to her bad back.

Double buggies are big, have you.tried putting yours in the Qashqai? Are you likely to travel to stay with friends or family? Will a travel cot or two fit in there with the double buggy and luggage? Do you ever need to bring a grandparent with you and the tribe on journeys?

• Advertisement
Advertisement