Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot size.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Double buggies are big, have you.tried putting yours in the Qashqai? Are you likely to travel to stay with friends or family? Will a travel cot or two fit in there with the double buggy and luggage? Do you ever need to bring a grandparent with you and the tribe on journeys?

no. yes. doubt it. Might do.

so space in Qashqai could be tight enough so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The other thing is a MPV is often shorter than an estate, for parking. Also the big SUV's are very tight in car parks. Though for some thats not an issue.

beauf wrote: »
    The other thing is a MPV is often shorter than an estate, for parking. Also the big SUV's are very tight in car parks. Though for some thats not an issue.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

do people think a qashqai is a big enough vehicle for a young children under 2 year of age ?

No

Being in the same situation as yourself, and having driven practically everything that is available in the sectors you are looking at, I doubt a Qashqai would suit. A Qashqai +2 would do the job - that was rejected by herself on the grounds of it being a bit ugly :rolleyes: (extra length does look a bit out of perspective).

Most of the MPV's mentioned do have seat heights more or less the same as a "jeep", so it's move the kids across rather than putting them down in to the seats. Worth having a look at all the 7 Seat versions - generally a massive boot when they are in 5 seat mode, and also gives the option of carrying friends / grandparents on occasion.

Grand C-Max
    C4 Picasso
    Touran
    Zafira

if the height of any of these is acceptable, they are probably a better option than an SUV for you. Rejected by herself, as she didn't want a mammy wagon....

It's worth measuring your buggy in it's folded state, and doing research on the dimensions of the boot - don't bother with the load volume as that doesn't tell you whether it will actually fit in. You may well be able to strike some models off the list if the buggy won't fit.

R.O.R wrote: »
    No

Being in the same situation as yourself, and having driven practically everything that is available in the sectors you are looking at, I doubt a Qashqai would suit. A Qashqai +2 would do the job - that was rejected by herself on the grounds of it being a bit ugly :rolleyes: (extra length does look a bit out of perspective).

Most of the MPV's mentioned do have seat heights more or less the same as a "jeep", so it's move the kids across rather than putting them down in to the seats. Worth having a look at all the 7 Seat versions - generally a massive boot when they are in 5 seat mode, and also gives the option of carrying friends / grandparents on occasion.

Grand C-Max
    C4 Picasso
    Touran
    Zafira

if the height of any of these is acceptable, they are probably a better option than an SUV for you. Rejected by herself, as she didn't want a mammy wagon....

It's worth measuring your buggy in it's folded state, and doing research on the dimensions of the boot - don't bother with the load volume as that doesn't tell you whether it will actually fit in. You may well be able to strike some models off the list if the buggy won't fit.

Thanks R.O.R. - good input. Are you baing your answer on TWO young kids ?

I get what your saying, herself just has an awful grá for Qashqai and Sportage.

I showed her the 5008 and C-Max last night and she was having none of it, didnt like them.

I told her that the boots were ****e in the ones she like.

Must do that with the buggy.

Just did a bit of googling there on boot capacity and price

Nissan Qashqai, 410 litres, 21,950 - 13,550

Nissan Qashqai +2, 450 litres, 22,250 - 17,650

Kia sportage, 564 litres, 24,900 - 16,950

Hyundai ix35, 591 litres, 23,900 - 16,495

Citroen C4 Picasso, 632 litres, 16,750 - 11,900

Peugeot 5008, 679 litres, 17,950 - 11,950

All above prices are 2011, diesel and manual ranges.
    And yes I know the litre capacity of a boot is not a true measure of things but at least it gives some idea as to the rough boot size. 7 seater's capacity is based on seats 6&7 being folded down,

The SUV's are a fair chunk more expensive than the MPV's

Thanks R.O.R. - good input. Are you baing your answer on TWO young kids ?

I get what your saying, herself just has an awful grá for Qashqai and Sportage.

I showed her the 5008 and C-Max last night and she was having none of it, didnt like them.

I told her that the boots were ****e in the ones she like.

Must do that with the buggy.

Sounds like she doesn't want a Mammy Wagon either.

Eldest was 3, 2 weeks ago. Youngest is 2 in January. We've Jane Powertwin buggy - one in front of the other, that's 112cm in length when folded, about 55cm high, and roughly 50cm wide.

If we are heading anywhere overnight or a few days, the buggy has to stay behind and the boot gets filled with luggage and kids stuff (2 x travel cots, nappies, toys). We may just about have space for the single travel buggy and the eldest guy has to walk.

Even doing the weekly shop, there's only just about room for 4 or 5 shopping bags, when the buggy is in the boot of the XC60.

Eldest was 3, 2 weeks ago. Youngest is 2 in January. We've Jane Powertwin buggy - one in front of the other, that's 112cm in length when folded, about 55cm high, and roughly 50cm wide.

If we are heading anywhere overnight or a few days, the buggy has to stay behind and the boot gets filled with luggage and kids stuff (2 x travel cots, nappies, toys). We may just about have space for the single travel buggy and the eldest guy has to walk.

Even doing the weekly shop, there's only just about room for 4 or 5 shopping bags, when the buggy is in the boot of the XC60.

no, she dosent like the mammy wagons much. Maybe when she sees teh actual size of these feckin double buggys, she will realise she needs a massive boot. Jaysus, that Jane powertwin buggy is a fair aul contraption, sure that alone on most cars would ruin most boots. and probably would not fit in most boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Check the buggies two. We had a 360 nipper double and you could pop off the wheels easily and then it would go flat on the floor of the boot. Of course then everything had to be put on off it. The pop off wheel were handy for going through tight doorways. Check for good foot well space in the middle row. Always ends up being used for bags and such. Lots of pockets too for long trips. Secure pockets out of sight for kids electronics etc. Be handy to have USB power in the rear.

Might be worth looking at the Roof Box/Rack options. You can put a buggy up there on long trips. But its a lot harder to reach up there on a SUV than a MPV. Things like bike racks on a rear tow bar might not be possible on a SUV with a spare wheel hanging off the back.

Lots of MPV's don't have a spare wheel. They have a can of foam and a compressor. This is true of the Touran 5+2. The Touran 5 (no +2) has a spare wheel in the space where the 2 seats go. If you are mainly city based this is not an issue. If you regularly do long trips a spare might be a bigger deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Two places to visit for testing if you can;

Gowan Navan Rd
    Airside (lots of dealerships all beside each other)

Between the two, they had every MPV & SUV you could want to try. Bring everything and anything you like, Buggies, Child Seats etc. Give them a go. Purchasing a Car that'll cost thousands should not be done on Boards, merely some research. Sales people should be taken with a massive pinch of salt also. You and your Partner can then make an informed decision.

Let us know how you get on if you do try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I found seeing MPV in the flesh made a big difference. Especially when judging boot space, or shoulder space in the back. Some Saloons are very tight on shoulder space in the rear. Which effect how many baby seats can go in.

BostonB wrote: »
    I found seeing MPV in the flesh made a big difference. Especially when judging boot space, or shoulder space in the back. Some Saloons are very tight on shoulder space in the rear. Which effect how many baby seats can go in.

Yeah, I think seeing them in the flesh, especially for herself will be the real test, these double buggies are just massive and demand a really big boot, but she has to see it to believe it.

I, myself am swaying towards the Peugeot 5008

- massive boot with seats 6&7 down.
    - even bigger with all seats down.
    - 3 full size back seats.
    - Seems an ok car to drive.
    - id be buying 3 or 4 years old so alot of depreciation gone at that stage.
    - PRICE is a lot cheaper than sportages etc
    - its higher than a standard car ( back issues etc)

Only thing im concerned about is reliability, I suppose I still have the old school mindset of French cars of old that had a lot of issues.

How are modern Peugeot's for reliability ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

herself is awful fond of the qashqai.

do people think a qashqai is a big enough vehicle for a young children under 2 year of age ?

We have a Qashqai and there never seems to be enough room in the boot when we are going away for the weekend (2 adults and 2 kids). There is a lot of wind noise at motorway speeds too so not that nice to drive. If you are tall there is not much headroom. Around town its fine and the version we have is fully specced electric everything etc.

I know herself would go back to a Zafira in a heartbeat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

but we need the height of the qashqai due to her bad back.
    I have a Qashqai at the moment, and previously had a C-Max. Of the two, I'd say the C-Max had the larger boot space and slightly more accessible.

*Kol* wrote: »
    We have a Qashqai and there never seems to be enough room in the boot when we are going away for the weekend (2 adults and 2 kids). There is a lot of wind noise at motorway speeds too so not that nice to drive. If you are tall there is not much headroom. Around town its fine and the version we have is fully specced electric everything etc.

I know herself would go back to a Zafira in a heartbeat though.

Thanks, you see, this is my issue, we buy a Qashqai and it turns out to be not big enough even for 2 adults and 2 children and luggage , prams etc. and we are constantly struggling trying to fit stuff in the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Only thing im concerned about is reliability, I suppose I still have the old school mindset of French cars of old that had a lot of issues.

There's a lot of threads on Boards on the engine. The Peugeot 1.6 diesel is in BMW/Mini Volvo Ford and many others.

Whilst I don't see the 5008 on the reliability index, the shorter (Qashqai like) 3008 is on it. Pretty similar Car, see for yourself and maybe check others;

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/261

New Zafira Tourer in SE spec is a fine car IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Can you get more Mammy Wagon or more to the point Soccer Mom Irish Style than a Qashqai?

Yeah, I think seeing them in the flesh, especially for herself will be the real test, these double buggies are just massive and demand a really big boot, but she has to see it to believe it.

I, myself am swaying towards the Peugeot 5008

- massive boot with seats 6&7 down.
    - even bigger with all seats down.
    - 3 full size back seats.
    - Seems an ok car to drive.
    - id be buying 3 or 4 years old so alot of depreciation gone at that stage.
    - PRICE is a lot cheaper than sportages etc

Driver collected a 5008 from me a couple of weeks, ago - looked like a very nice car, but this was loaded (DVD, Leather, HUD, NAV, Reverse Camera, Tinted Windows, 18" Alloys). Seats 6&7 were down when he collected, but it didn't look there would be that much space behind them when they were up - doubt you'd get a double buggy in behind them. With seats 6&7 down, there is a massive amount of boot space.

We've 3 other 5008's on the fleet. Quick look at the history on them all (oldest is 2011) and there's nothing really out of the ordinary. A 2012 had a blocked fuel filter at 35,000km. Others are all standard servicing/tyres - checked a couple of 508 1.6Hdi's as well, and they seem to be pretty reliable too.

Driver collected a 5008 from me a couple of weeks, ago - looked like a very nice car, but this was loaded (DVD, Leather, HUD, NAV, Reverse Camera, Tinted Windows, 18" Alloys). Seats 6&7 were down when he collected, but it didn't look there would be that much space behind them when they were up - doubt you'd get a double buggy in behind them. With seats 6&7 down, there is a massive amount of boot space.

We've 3 other 5008's on the fleet. Quick look at the history on them all (oldest is 2011) and there's nothing really out of the ordinary. A 2012 had a blocked fuel filter at 35,000km. Others are all standard servicing/tyres - checked a couple of 508 1.6Hdi's as well, and they seem to be pretty reliable too.

mmmm, good to know, thanks again ROR.

we would be using the 5008 95% of the time with seats 6 and 7 down - for the bigger boot. looks like the boot space is more a less useless with seats 6 and 7 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

herself is awful fond of the qashqai.

do people think a standard Qashqai is a big enough vehicle for TWO children under 2 year of age ?

EDIT :

Do people think a standard Qashqai is a big enough vehicle for TWO children under 2 year of age and 2 adults to go off on weekends. So add in luggage, car seats, pram, toys maybe
    Bit late to this but we have a Civic tourer.. Fits the bill nicely for us, 2 adults and two kids one under ten the other nearly 12, 1.6 diesel has surprising power and is mega economical to run.. Some not mad on the shape of the car but each to their own as they say :)

• Advertisement

Bit late to this but we have a Civic tourer.. Fits the bill nicely for us, 2 adults and two kids one under ten the other nearly 12, 1.6 diesel has surprising power and is mega economical to run.. Some not mad on the shape of the car but each to their own as they say :)

not late at all Mick. Thanks.

Advertisement