If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to boost the impact of my Canton DM 50 via external sub.....suggestions?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Been very happy with the performance of my Canton DM50 soundbase for the 9 or so months i've had it, but I really want to take advantage of the subwoofer output just to get that big rumble and was wondering what you would recommend? the budget option seems to be the Yamaha one you're selling for £74 but are there other options worth considering? (want to keep it below £200 @ my budget) all suggestions are welcome, cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Aryn86 wrote: »
    Been very happy with the performance of my Canton DM50 soundbase for the 9 or so months i've had it, but I really want to take advantage of the subwoofer output just to get that big rumble and was wondering what you would recommend? the budget option seems to be the Yamaha one you're selling for £74 but are there other options worth considering? (want to keep it below £200 @ my budget) all suggestions are welcome, cheers.
    Aryn86,

£200 will buy you a decent sub !  that Yamaha at £74/ €99.99 ( yoyo price includes shipping!)  https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10571-ystfsw050.aspx  is actually quite good and will indeed boost your Bass response, but to be fair the canton is a decent piece of kit so it probably deserves to be partnered with a really super sub - To keep you on budget I'd probably recommend the - it's under budget at £179.95 / €229.99 and is a pretty fast and powerful sub - it would transform your Canton..
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12468-sx120.aspx

Add in a decent Sub cable to link the two up at around £20 an you are still on budget!

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10545-aud500-75m.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Aryn86

Aryn86,

£200 will buy you a decent sub !  that Yamaha at £74/ €99.99 ( yoyo price includes shipping!)   is actually quite good and will indeed boost your Bass response, but to be fair the canton is a decent piece of kit so it probably deserves to be partnered with a really super sub - To keep you on budget I'd probably recommend the - it's under budget at £179.95 / €229.99 and is a pretty fast and powerful sub - it would transform your Canton..

Add in a decent Sub cable to link the two up at around £20 an you are still on budget!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks for the reply, could you possibly give me some more info on how the sub would work in conjunction with the Canton? would simply connecting it up via the sub cable and turning it on allow the Sub to take over the lower end duties from the Canton? or would you need to adjust settings somewhere? also would it be possibly to use this with some PC speakers? as i'm going to be getting a new pair of Ruark Audio MR1's speakers soon which also contain a sub out port and since I use my pc a lot more than my TV and Canton I thought maybe i'd keep it in my PC audio setup but just connect it up to the canton whenever I watch a movie.

Cheers.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Aryn86,

£200 will buy you a decent sub !  that Yamaha at £74/ €99.99 ( yoyo price includes shipping!)   is actually quite good and will indeed boost your Bass response, but to be fair the canton is a decent piece of kit so it probably deserves to be partnered with a really super sub - To keep you on budget I'd probably recommend the - it's under budget at £179.95 / €229.99 and is a pretty fast and powerful sub - it would transform your Canton..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks for the reply, could you possibly give me some more info on how the sub would work in conjunction with the Canton? would simply connecting it up via the sub cable and turning it on allow the Sub to take over the lower end duties from the Canton? or would you need to adjust settings somewhere? also would it be possibly to use this with some PC speakers? as i'm going to be getting a new pair of Ruark Audio MR1's speakers soon which also contain a sub out port and since I use my pc a lot more than my TV and Canton I thought maybe i'd keep it in my PC audio setup but just connect it up to the canton whenever I watch a movie.

Cheers.
    HI Aryn86.

Yip it really is as simple as that.  Just connect it to the sub out via a sublink cable (Single audio cable) and away you go.
    You will have to go into the Canton audio settings in its menu:
    SUB – Analogue output
    Use this output when you want to connect an external active subwoofer. SUB OUT
    is not active in the basic setting and needs to be activated using the remote control.
    See page 34 Extended functions.

PC speakers may be something similar where you may need to go into to settings and turn sub out put on.

Aryn86,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Cheers.
    HI Aryn86.

Yip it really is as simple as that.  Just connect it to the sub out via a sublink cable (Single audio cable) and away you go.
    You will have to go into the Canton audio settings in its menu:
    SUB – Analogue output
    Use this output when you want to connect an external active subwoofer. SUB OUT
    is not active in the basic setting and needs to be activated using the remote control.
    See page 34 Extended functions.

PC speakers may be something similar where you may need to go into to settings and turn sub out put on.
    Hi Kenny I got a little delayed earlier but i'm still in the market for a sub to pair with the DM but my budget is a little higher now so i'd really like your thoughts on other (maybe more expensive?) subs that you'd recommend, i'd go a touch above 300 or so for an exceptional sub, something meaty and powerful so all suggestions are welcome even the pricier ones. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Aryn.

I have an awesome deal for you.

This is an excellent subwoofer with a lot of style, control and power to cope in medium to large rooms. It sounds brilliant !

This subwoofer normally sells for £600 in most places. We have it at £499.95 normally but we have a slight over stock on these so I could clear one for you at just £399.95.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius/radius-390

This would come in the piano black finish and delivery would be just £6.99.

This is very hard to beat by way of a deal but if you wanted something closer to the budget then the Tannoy TS2.10 is a brilliant sub also.

It operates differently by using 2 drivers so it doesn't reach the depths that the Radius sub reaches but it's fast and accurate.

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200886-ts210.aspx

Let me know what you make of either of these.

ATB

Dave

• Advertisement

Hi guys sorry for pestering but i've got a real problem, so I got the Cambridge audio sub as a gift (lucky me!) but for the life of me I can't get the sub to work with the soundbase! i've done eveything from the Canton side of things and selected the sub 'on' option which I know has worked properly as the sub has dropped it's bass response but using a sub cable from the sub output on the canton into the port on the sub I get NOTHING in terms of connection, yes I do get the buzz to let me know everything has connected properly but outside of that there's no actual connection with the sub meaning the sub isn't doing what it's supposed to, i've checked everything and i'm sure it's all spot on do you guys know what could possibly be wrong?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Sorry for the delay getting back to you - could you do the highly technical standard subwoofer test for us to try to determine where the issue lies ( ie just pop your finger into your mouth for a second then take the sub lead out of the Canton and touch the tip of the lead with the damp finger - the Sub should buzz!!)

If this doesn't make the sub buzz then there may be a sub issue,

Keep us posted - after that we will start to panic!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew  

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.