Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping dogs warm this wibter

• 08-12-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I hope I'm not repeating a thread. I've tried searching but can't find an answer.
    I'm worried about my dogs this winter. They stay in our house during the day but have their own shed at night.
    I'm worrying that they will get cold this winter and want to know how the keep your dogs warm?
    Their bed is raised off ground so they are away from breeze, they have dog beds pillows and duvet as bedding. Their shed isn't insulated though. We tried to put insulation on the walls a couple of years ago but dogs dug at it until they bled,
    We also tried electric radiator, they cried all night as it was strange. Same with infa red light.
    We used the snuggle safe microwave pad last year but one dog bit through it so it leaked.
    I was looking at the warming beds but am afraid as they are electrical.
    Are there any non electrical alternatives or what else could I do?
    More blankets??
    Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hi all,
    I hope I'm not repeating a thread. I've tried searching but can't find an answer.
    I'm worried about my dogs this winter. They stay in our house during the day but have their own shed at night.
    I'm worrying that they will get cold this winter and want to know how the keep your dogs warm?
    Their bed is raised off ground so they are away from breeze, they have dog beds pillows and duvet as bedding. Their shed isn't insulated though. We tried to put insulation on the walls a couple of years ago but dogs dug at it until they bled,
    We also tried electric radiator, they cried all night as it was strange. Same with infa red light.
    We used the snuggle safe microwave pad last year but one dog bit through it so it leaked.
    More blankets??
    Thanks,

Cattle matting maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Cattle matting maybe?

Is that the rubber thing? Does that help keep them warm? I'll look into that !! Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is that the rubber thing? Does that help keep them warm? I'll look into that !! Thanks

Ya its an inch or two thick, but really holds the heat. Should really keep them warm when they lie on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Would it be possible to "Outsulate" like they do with some houses - apply the insulation to the outside of the walls so the dogs can't get at it?

Gulliver wrote: »
    Would it be possible to "Outsulate" like they do with some houses - apply the insulation to the outside of the walls so the dogs can't get at it?
    I would say possibly in the future but cost would be a big consideration especially being so close to Christmas. I'm kinda hoping to find a quicker, less expensive fix for the moment m
    It is something we should look into though at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is there a reason they can't stay in at night? Why if they are in the house during the day can't they stay in at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Cattle matting maybe?

About 40 euro a mat.

As long as they don't get wet.

I've used for horses but can't see how warm they d be for dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Quickest and least expensive way to keep them warm at night is to leave them in the house. If you're worried about them chewing, then crate train them maybe, so yes, you would have the expense of one or two crates, but that's not a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Dont laugh because I did.... neighbor has an old electric blanket under a thin mat for his dog, to be fair the dog howls if locked in the back kitchen and is pushing on in years. As said above cow mats are handy but if dogs are together, off the ground and no wind they are usually happy enough. Straw is an option some people find it great I dont (too messy), if you do try using it make sure you spray it before hand to eradicate any little visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Keep dog house floor well up off the ground insulate the roof and I use cow mat on top of their floor. Dogs are hardy animals, but every bit helps. Maybe in the colder evenings bring him/her in or if you have a few dogs let them all sleep together in one pin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I know someone with a red light thing for his dogs. He has thick rubber mats down too. The rubber would absorb the heat so if they don't want to sleep under the light they'd still benefit.

He had to take the blankets out because one of them would pull them out, muddy them up then sleep on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Hi all,
    More blankets??
    Thanks,

Have you tried buying insulated kennels and then putting them in the shed they are really warm you can also line them with hay and fleece blankets, duvets tend to get damp I also use a good sleeping bag and line the walls and floor of the kennels but you can get some really good kennels in a place in Kildare not too expensive either. They have a wall of wood, a layer of insulation and another wall of wood and are off the ground.

Thanks for the replies. We don't keep them in at night because there's 3 of then and theyd howl the place out of it. Also it's nice to get the housework done n place hoovered etc in mornings without them under your feet.
    I like the sound of the insulated kennels but they probably wouldn't fit in their shed. The 3 dogs sleep together in the one big bed. I think we may look into insulation or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I have a similar dilemma in relation to a neighbour's dog. We were going to insulate the kennel but it is concrete so we can't do any work inside it. It would have to be an "outsulate" job too :( Anyone know where the cattle mats can be bought? I heard straw is good too for retaining heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I have a similar dilemma in relation to a neighbour's dog. We were going to insulate the kennel but it is concrete so we can't do any work inside it. It would have to be an "outsulate" job too :( Anyone know where the cattle mats can be bought? I heard straw is good too for retaining heat.

Any Corp. Store. Dear enough but we'll worth it, floored my van with one as well, easy take out and clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Had the same issue with in-laws dog he was in an old concrete shed and sometimes they'd put a bit of straw under him (but not often!), my husband built a bed out of pallets, so a pallet underneath him so he was raised up off the floor then a pallet on top and a pallet on one side (the other side was the concrete wall, then he put carpeting all around the inside of the pallet and underneath and then I put various bits of bedding down underneath him (I had spare dog beds from my two plus some spare dog blankets, I also had a single duvet that I didn't need so I cut it in half and stitched it up so I could put it in the washing machine), all the bedding was washable, lastly a boardsie recommended one of those heat pads you can get them from Zoo plus and they stay warm for about 10 hours and don't leak (thanks DBB for that one!).

Don't even start me off on the initial cleaning out of the shed....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Had the same issue with in-laws dog he was in an old concrete shed and sometimes they'd put a bit of straw under him (but not often!), my husband built a bed out of pallets, so a pallet underneath him so he was raised up off the floor then a pallet on top and a pallet on one side (the other side was the concrete wall, then he put carpeting all around the inside of the pallet and underneath and then I put various bits of bedding down underneath him (I had spare dog beds from my two plus some spare dog blankets, I also had a single duvet that I didn't need so I cut it in half and stitched it up so I could put it in the washing machine), all the bedding was washable, lastly a boardsie recommended one of those heat pads you can get them from Zoo plus and they stay warm for about 10 hours and don't leak (thanks DBB for that one!).

Would you have a link for that? I checked zooplus but they only seem to have mains powered mats. Looking for ideas to keep my outdoor rabbits warm this winter.

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Would you have a link for that? I checked zooplus but they only seem to have mains powered mats. Looking for ideas to keep my outdoor rabbits warm this winter.

I think they are called snugglessafe microwave pads. Theyd suit rabbits. Got one for my dogs but one chewed through it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I think they are called snugglessafe microwave pads. Theyd suit rabbits. Got one for my dogs but one chewed through it :(

Thanks! Tbh rabbits might chew it too but I could hide it under their bedding.

Aww they're out of stock till the 17th :( Won't be getting one this side of Xmas anyway it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

what about hot water bottles? give them old duvets and wrap the hot water bottles in them. i think straw will give them mites.

also, I should add, your post made me smile. if only there were more people who go to such lengths to keep their pets nice and warm in this terrible weather :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thanks! Tbh rabbits might chew it too but I could hide it under their bedding.

Aww they're out of stock till the 17th :( Won't be getting one this side of Xmas anyway it seems!

I just got one a few weeks ago and it's a brilliant job :) It's very hard plastic and a good inch thick in a disc shape with rounded edges so I don't think a rabbit would actually get any grip on it to chew. There's one little nobbley bit on the edge obviously the way it was filled, that'd be the only dodgy part. Stays warm for at least 10 hours. I should've bought one years ago.

Try amazon for them, think it was working out just slightly dearer than zooplus when I was ordering it.

Edit: Actually just had another look at the snugglesafe, there is actually a seam around the whole edge of it that a rabbit could chew. So unless it could be hidden it may not be suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Hay or straw is the best bedding for dog houses because it is absorbent and warm, blankets and fabrics get wet and damp.

As long as no wind gets in, they would be fine with hay bedding.

What kind of dogs are they?

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Had the same issue with in-laws dog he was in an old concrete shed and sometimes they'd put a bit of straw under him (but not often!), my husband built a bed out of pallets, so a pallet underneath him so he was raised up off the floor then a pallet on top and a pallet on one side (the other side was the concrete wall, then he put carpeting all around the inside of the pallet and underneath and then I put various bits of bedding down underneath him (I had spare dog beds from my two plus some spare dog blankets, I also had a single duvet that I didn't need so I cut it in half and stitched it up so I could put it in the washing machine), all the bedding was washable, lastly a boardsie recommended one of those heat pads you can get them from Zoo plus and they stay warm for about 10 hours and don't leak

Sounds good. We can't get into the kennel as the roof doesn't come off (although it could with a bit of force...) *waits until they've gone to mass then sneaks up for a bit of DIY* :D
    Might try those pads, are they big? If we put a flap on the opening (it's quite small), the heat would stay in better. The base of the kennel is boards and up off the ground so not too bad. At the moment she has a duvet in there, but I guess straw would be better.

berger89 wrote: »
    what about hot water bottles? give them old duvets and wrap the hot water bottles in them. i think straw will give them mites.

also, I should add, your post made me smile. if only there were more people who go to such lengths to keep their pets nice and warm in this terrible weather :)

Feck hadn't thought of that. Logistical nightmare :( They have hay there alright, but I was going to buy some as these people are so cheap they would begrudge me using a bit of their hay. I suppose shop bought stuff would eb ok -the kind used in hutches and that. She is a chewer though, so I'd be worried about a hot water bottle, unless the water was just warm and we put a few in.

http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I was having a look at those SnuggleSafes on Amazon last week. They are still in stock there:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA/

I'm a bit wary of getting one for my own dog. Everything we put into the kennel to keep it cosy gets pulled out and chewed and the remains are scattered all over the garden. We had to staple a blanket into the kennel floor when the cold snap started.

If insulating the roof or outside walls before Christmas isn't a goer, more blankets are probably the quickest and cheapest option OP. Or wrap up a hot water bottle / heating pad in a large blanket so it's harder for them to get at to chew.

Advertisement