Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Basel - 7:45 - TV3

• 09-12-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The first of 3 big fixtures that could really decide Liverpool's season.

Our defence is better but we cannot score...2 of our strikers are injured, one is the wrong side of 30, isn't very mobile and has played 90 minutes of the last 3 or 4 matches.

Borini is missing. Last seen heading towards the site where the redevelopment of Anfield is taking place. Rodgers probably pushed him into a pit and poured cement over him.

Unfortunately I fear this will be the first of a disastrous set of results for Liverpool. Hopefully not though, the crowd should help and we might have another "what a hit son" moment.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It'll be depressing, and not in a Lyons tea mispronounciation type of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Some papers reporting Ojo or Sinclair could be in the squad. If one of them is they will be a big loss to the next gen team. While Borini is most likely not in the squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

We can't score goals and we need to score goals hahaha!

****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd assume Liverpool will win (not a L'Pool fan). Hard to see any other result.

Basel have been horrible away from home so far in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It'll be either a draw or a one-nil defeat. I don't see where the goals will come from.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'd assume Liverpool will win (not a L'Pool fan). Hard to see any other result.

Basel have been horrible away from home so far in this.

I think they've won their last 5 in the Swiss league so they have some form at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

0-0 up until the end, where Basel will score, as Liverpool press for a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think they've won their last 5 in the Swiss league so they have some form at least.

Form in that league is irrelevant to this match in my opinion, as is Liverpool's form coming into this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I won 8 quid on a 1 euro all-cash, putting it on Borini to score and liverpool to win. I expect to increase my winnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Think Liverpool will lose this in a less than stellar 0-1. But am Hoping they go all out and win this one..

and lose their following game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game also on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Game also on ITV

Tv3 or itv? It's like a poke in the eye or a psionic blast to the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Heading off to catch the boat soon.

Any sort of win will do and i think it will be 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Tv3 or itv? It's like a poke in the eye or a psionic blast to the mind.

My trick is to watch it on the Uk station for the first half and Irish station for the 2nd.

It worked a few times but more importantly in May 2005.

Dudek gets most of the credit though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A dour 1-1 draw with Basel equalising late on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If recent games are anything to go by,the first half won't be worth watching and the second half will be slightly better but still hugely disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

While previous experiences would tell me to predict Liverpool going through, I just can't see it tonight. Bar Sterling, the team looks devoid of any ideas and passion. Two shots on target against Sunderland at home says it all.

If I was Rodgers i'd start Lallana - Gerrard - Sterling behind Lambert. Those three behind any striker gives you a chance of goals. Lallana and Lambert must be on the pitch together, as Lambert has a very different style of play from a striker that LFC haven't had in a while and with Lallana on the wing atleast someone knows his play inside out.

As a Chelsea fan I'm hoping Liverpool do fail as I enjoy seeing Rodgers eat his words out about how "Defending is easy to teach" and how it was difficult to do what we did last April. As a Chelsea fan I also know how dangerous Basel can be first hand.

Should be an interesting night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not sure what I would prefer here. Liverpool going out might be another dent to their already shaky confidence going into the game on Sunday but going through means a couple of extra tough games in the new year which may come in handy should their fortunes change for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not holding out much hope for this, I stupidly think that Rodgers has his eye on a pride victory on Sunday....

Biggest game of the season for Liverpool.

Need to win at home to stay in the competition. I would have settled for this scenario at the start no question. If they don't they don't deserve to be in it.

Should be an incredible atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Calm down OP with the optimism! Sure we are in a bad moment (as the Spanish put it) but this is Basel in a make or break Champions League game. If we're up for it half as much as I am we'll smash them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Not sure what I would prefer here. Liverpool going out might be another dent to their already shaky confidence going into the game on Sunday but going through means a couple of extra tough games in the new year which may come in handy should their fortunes change for the better.
    Unless Real lose to Ludo, Liverpool will have a couple of Europa League games in the new year if they lose so either way I think you can relax :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Pool to come out swinging.
    2-1 Basel.

Camera to shoot to Rodgers' face when we let them walk in the winner.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Unless Real lose to Ludo, Liverpool will have a couple of Europa League games in the new year if they lose so either way I think you can relax :(

Yeah, suppose that would be ideal. I doubt they would play a weakened team in the Europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Game also on ITV
    Thank God!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Prefer TV3 myself all things considered but it is like asking would you rather have no hands or no body parts beneath the chest.

Prefer TV3 myself all things considered but it is like asking would you rather have no hands or no body parts beneath the chest.

Wow. Didn't think I'd ever hear that.

How anyone can watch TV3 knowing ITV HD is available is unfathomable.

I hate the ITV commentary, but TV3 is the worst out there. When you throw in the fact that the picture is like something from 1992 compared to the HD available with ITV it's a no brainer if you have the choice. Even if you can't get ITV HD TV3 is still only a last optino as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

5starpool wrote: »
    I hate the ITV commentary, but TV3 is the worst out there. When you throw in the fact that the picture is like something from 1992 compared to the HD available with ITV it's a no brainer if you have the choice. Even if you can't get ITV HD TV3 is still only a last optino as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own though ;)

Whilst the quality of picture will be better on ITV, that will only make it look/seem worse.
    With a grainy picture Liverpool might not look as woeful,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

4-4

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Biggest game of the season for Liverpool.

Need to win at home to stay in the competition. I would have settled for this scenario at the start no question. If they don't they don't deserve to be in it.

Should be an incredible atmosphere.

You'd have settled for being 2 points behind Basel and level with Ludogorets? Bull****.

One win in 5 games is awful, albeit two of those we're against Real Madrid, but still, Liverpool should have walked to second place in this group.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    You'd have settled for being 2 points behind Basel and level with Ludogorets? Bull****.

One win in 5 games is awful, albeit two of those we're against Real Madrid, but still, Liverpool should have walked to second place in this group.

As 3rd seeds it was a blessing of a group. 2nd place was almost a given at the time the draw took place.

I wonder how bad the weather will be come KO time, the wind could be quite a feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hoping for a hard fought draw here, would be a small advantage to United if liverpool get dumped in the Europa league

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

How did you come up with this conclusion?

• Hoping for a hard fought draw here, would be a small advantage to United if liverpool get dumped in the Europa league

In the short term I would prefer the loss, confidence will be lowered coming into Sundays match.

However I can agree that Europa league games would add more strain on the pool squad long term so hard know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

As 3rd seeds it was a blessing of a group. 2nd place was almost a given at the time the draw took place.

Really? Basel have beaten alot of decent teams in the last while

The Mig wrote: »
    How did you come up with this conclusion?

How? Because Liverpool has a team full of internationals, they nearly won the league last season and because usually Premiership opposition would get top 2 in any Champions League group. Most Premiership midtable teams would beat Basel and Ludogorents would probably be lucky to be in the Premiership.

Its a sad sign of a team who draw the worst second seed and the worst fourth seed, and only for a goal in injury time at home against a team that no one heard of before the Competition they'd be out.

Are you really saying Liverpool shouldn't be finishing second?

naughtb4 wrote: »

It was still the best draw in terms of 2nd/4th seeds we could have got really, although Ludogorets have generally impressed more than I expected except for their game in Switzerland.

If a good performance can't be coaxed out of the team for tonight, or at least a solid one, then there is little hope if improvement in the next few weeks I think. This and the game on Sunday should be enough motivation for any player so if the same lethargy is still there for both and results are not positive, things really could go to a dark place in coming months.

• Advertisement

They were a much better them in the last year fews though. When they played Chelsea they were able to sit deep and nail them on the break with Stocker and Salah, two lightening quick wingers. Obviously Salah went to Chelsea and Stocker also left for Gladbach in Germany. Didn't really get the quality back into the side after losing two key players.

It was still the best draw in terms of 2nd/4th seeds we could have got really, although Ludogorets have generally impressed more than I expected except for their game in Switzerland.

If a good performance can't be coaxed out of the team for tonight, or at least a solid one, then there is little hope if improvement in the next few weeks I think. This and the game on Sunday should be enough motivation for any player so if the same lethargy is still there for both and results are not positive, things really could go to a dark place in coming months.

I agree. But it is hard to see where the improvement comes from to be honest.

I agree. But it is hard to see where the improvement comes from to be honest.

It is indeed. I pray to God that we'll recover form the slump, but so far Robbie hasn't answered my prayers :(

Don't really understand the predominantly negative views from fellow Liverpool fans.

We have a decent striker in Lambert, he's not in bad form, Gerrard in the advanced role is most certainly decent. Sterling & Henderson are great players. The defence has tightened up over the last 3 games since Lucas and Toure have come in, Lucas being the major factor imo, no disrespect to Toure.

Must win CL match at Anfield, it's an occassion for the players to rise to, Basel won't be coming over brimming with confidence.

Can see nothing but a Liverpool win, Gerrard & Lambert both scoring :D

Augeo wrote: »
    Don't really understand the predominantly negative views from fellow Liverpool fans.

We have a decent striker in Lambert, he's not in bad form, Gerrard in the advanced role is most certainly decent. Sterling & Henderson are great players. The defence has tightened up over the last 3 games since Lucas and Toure have come in, Lucas being the major factor imo, no disrespect to Toure.

Must win CL match at Anfield, it's an occassion for the players to rise to, Basel won't be coming over brimming with confidence.

Can see nothing but a Liverpool win, Gerrard & Lambert both scoring :D

I thnk we were spoiled a bit last year with the amount of movement from the team and the excitement the performances generated but what we have seen so far has been awful.

I struggle to name a good goal we have scored in the last 2 months that hasnt involved Sterling, whom we seem happy to place all responsbility on.

----
    I struggle to name a good goal we have scored in the last 2 months that hasnt involved Sterling, whom we seem happy to place all responsbility on.

Lallana's lovely pass for Lambert to score v C'Palace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think all my negativity comes from seeing most of this season's results and performances.

I'm almost positive that's what's doing it.

On the back of the season Liverpool just had, very much so. Basel are not the team they were in the last few years.
    Liverpool fans in here were delighted with the draw and from what I've read the general consensus was that they really should be qualifying from that group without too much hassle. I said it myself then too. They still have a very good chance tonight but it's been a lot tougher than anticipated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

How? Because Liverpool has a team full of internationals, they nearly won the league last season and because usually Premiership opposition would get top 2 in any Champions League group. Most Premiership midtable teams would beat Basel and Ludogorents would probably be lucky to be in the Premiership.

Its a sad sign of a team who draw the worst second seed and the worst fourth seed, and only for a goal in injury time at home against a team that no one heard of before the Competition they'd be out.

Are you really saying Liverpool shouldn't be finishing second?
    That still doesn't give them a divine right to be walking to 2nd place in the group. It was always going to be between ourselves and Basel for 2nd place. And I think Ludo have shocked everybody and exceeded their expectations.
    Most Premiership midtable teams would beat Basel and Ludogorents would probably be lucky to be in the Premiership.
    Pure speculative horsesh!te that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement