Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Basel - 7:45 - TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

On the back of the season Liverpool just had, very much so. Basel are not the team they were in the last few years.
    Liverpool fans in here were delighted with the draw and from what I've read the general consensus was that they really should be qualifying from that group without too much hassle. I said it myself then too. They still have a very good chance tonight but it's been a lot tougher than anticipated.

Maybe you are right, the events of the last two months have made me forget :pac:

Basle are a decent team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

A loss tonight, A loss Sunday and a loss to Arsenal and Rodgers is under immense pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The Mig wrote: »
    That still doesn't give them a divine right to be walking to 2nd place in the group. It was always going to be between ourselves and Basel for 2nd place. And I think Ludo have shocked everybody and exceeded their expectations.

Pure speculative horsesh!te that is.

I never said it was Liverpool's divine right to walk to second in the group. But with the Manager of the Year last season and, granted you lost Suarez, but invested over £100m in new players in the summer you should be finishing above Basel and Ludogorents.

Arsenal, who finished lower then Liverpool last season made it through a group of Napoli and Dortmund last season.

As for the last bit, not really speculative. Most Premiership clubs would beat the smaller sides in the Champions League.

Did you expect Liverpool to be 2 points behind Basel going into the last game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Stevie G to smash one in from 25 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm gonna go with a win for Penaltypool tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

TimRiggins wrote: »

As for the last bit, not really speculative. Most Premiership clubs would beat the smaller sides in the Champions League.

Yeah, that's definitely speculative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Apparently Ojo will be on the bench. I can see us needing a goal late on and him being gambled on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Basle beat Chelsea home and away in the Champions league last season and have only lost once in the last 9 occasions they have played English teams in the Champions league so some of the comments about them being some sort of cannon fodder are pretty off the wall to be honest.

I personally always saw it coming down to the last game with Liverpool being in the position that as long as they avoided defeat they would go through rather than the other way around.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, that's definitely speculative.

As nearly all of the Premiership teams have more internationals and higher paid wages (I know this doesn't automatically make them better), Along with the fact that the Bulgarian league isn't exactly the best in the world (Its ranked below Scotland on the UEFA coefficient).

Its an extremely well educated guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

you should be finishing above Basel and Ludogorents
    A win tonight sorts that out
    You said mid-table 1st and now it's most teams. Again it's pure speculation based on your opinion
    Did you expect Liverpool to be 2 points behind Basel going into the last game?
    Nope. I expected them to be neck and neck both on 6. The 2 games against each other were always going to be the pivotal games in the group.

As nearly all of the Premiership teams have more internationals and higher paid wages (I know this doesn't automatically make them better), Along with the fact that the Bulgarian league isn't exactly the best in the world (Its ranked below Scotland on the UEFA coefficient).

Its an extremely well educated guess.

That does seem extremely well educated, in fairness...

The Mig wrote: »
    A win tonight sorts that out

You said mid-table 1st and now it's most teams. Again it's pure speculation based on your opinion

Nope. I expected them to be neck and neck both on 6. The 2 games against each other were always going to be the pivotal games in the group.
    That does seem extremely well educated, in fairness...

Okay lads. Best of luck with tonight, atleast if ye do go out ye'll have the memories of a famous famous win against Ludogorets at Anfield.

What a night.

Okay lads. Best of luck with tonight, atleast if ye do go out ye'll have the memories of a famous famous win against Ludogorets at Anfield.

What a night.

Any betting tips for the other games? I'm too lazy to get my blackboard, calculators and protractors out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What a night.

Go read up about exactly where the Chelsea millions and success has come from like a good chap.

Any betting tips for the other games? I'm too lazy to get my blackboard, calculators and protractors out.

Just did a Basel and Ludogorents double. 950 back off a 10er. Seems big odds for two of Europes heavyweights

• Advertisement

Just did a Basel and Ludogorents double. 950 back off a 10er. Seems big odds for two of Europes heavyweights

Wow, some small teams really do turn into big clubs overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

A loss tonight, A loss Sunday and a loss to Arsenal and Rodgers is under immense pressure.

A loss tonight, A loss Sunday and a loss to Arsenal - and in each case - little or no effort being shown - I would say Rodger's has lost the players, the board, the fans and ultimately his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

bet you didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

How? Because Liverpool has a team full of internationals, they nearly won the league last season and because usually Premiership opposition would get top 2 in any Champions League group. Most Premiership midtable teams would beat Basel and Ludogorents would probably be lucky to be in the Premiership.

Its a sad sign of a team who draw the worst second seed and the worst fourth seed, and only for a goal in injury time at home against a team that no one heard of before the Competition they'd be out.

Are you really saying Liverpool shouldn't be finishing second?

Even though Basel last two trips to England were a 3-3 draw with Man United and 1-2 win V Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Better be no loss to Arsenal or your paying for my match ticket :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No matter how good Basle are, if we cannot beat them in a one off game at home, we do not deserve to go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I backed it at a 5r. 475 back. Dead cert :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

brevity wrote: »
    Borini is missing. Last seen heading towards the site where the redevelopment of Anfield is taking place. Rodgers probably pushed him into a pit and poured cement over him.

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

3-1 , Gerrard with a last with a last minute screamer after a knockdown from Lambert.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I think all my negativity comes from seeing most of this season's results and performances.

I'm almost positive that's what's doing it.

You're focusing way to much on those 21 rubbish performances we put in and not enough on that one game against Spurs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Any word on on lineups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Ojo and Sinclair were rumoured to be on the bench but both are playing for the u21's today.

Surely Borini will be on the bench.

Its a shame we have no proper striker.

I heard that Rodgers was spotted asking around Anfield Road school if any of the kids fancied playing instead of Borini

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Anybody but Borini it seems. The ****ing catering lady will be getting a game ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Augmerson wrote: »
    Any word on on lineups?

Most likely not words like; exciting, threatening, pace, decisive, pressing, movement, solidity, assurance, composure and Borini or two strikers.

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really? Basel have beaten alot of decent teams in the last while

The Premier league is great remember. Best league in the world bla bla bla.

The Champions league is a tough ask when a team is out for a while. Ask City the last few years.

People see a team they don't recognise and immediately think it's a dead cert win. I find it a very blinkered view from some EPL fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Here's the team I'd like to see:

Mig
    Manquillo--Skrtel--Toure--Johnson

Can--Lucas
    Markovic- Sterling

Borini--Lambert

Would like to see Markovic get a start in place of Coutinho and Lallana who haven't been up to much lately. Also fancy Johnson on the left as Moreno has made some important mistakes in games this season, we don't need that tonight. Borini up front might give some mobility and movement.. But realistically he probably won't even be on the bench. When is Balotelli back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

A win tonight, a win Sunday and a win against Arsenal and Brenny is riding high again!

A win tonight, a win Sunday and a win against Arsenal and Brenny is riding high again!

Focus on losses and defeats and stop being so optimistic!

newcard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Augmerson wrote: »
    Anybody but Borini it seems. The ****ing catering lady will be getting a game ahead of him.

Well the former travel arrangements one has already been given a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

I can't remember, but didn't Borini do alright against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu? Worked his ass off I'm not mistaken.

Rodgers treatment of him, coupled with the transfers the summer gone, and general bewildering tactics is just bizarre compared to the man in the dugout last season and at Swansea.

As for tonight, 2-1 home win sadly I reckon, but hopefully Basel at least give them more than a scare until the very end, and thus tire them out for the weekend :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Biggest game of the season for Liverpool.

Need to win at home to stay in the competition. I would have settled for this scenario at the start no question. If they don't they don't deserve to be in it.

Should be an incredible atmosphere.
    The Premier league is great remember. Best league in the world bla bla bla.

The Champions league is a tough ask when a team is out for a while. Ask City the last few years.

People see a team they don't recognise and immediately think it's a dead cert win. I find it a very blinkered view from some EPL fans

Sounds like deflection from the question you were asked. You still sticking to the statement above? How likely do you think the win is tonight?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Sounds like deflection from the question you were asked. You still sticking to the statement above? How likely do you think the win is tonight?

What's your question, you quoted me twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

bleach94 wrote: »
    Here's the team I'd like to see:

Mig
    Manquillo--Skrtel--Toure--Johnson

Can--Lucas
    Markovic- Sterling

Borini--Lambert

Would like to see Markovic get a start in place of Coutinho and Lallana who haven't been up to much lately. Also fancy Johnson on the left as Moreno has made some important mistakes in games this season, we don't need that tonight. Borini up front might give some mobility and movement.. But realistically he probably won't even be on the bench. When is Balotelli back?

Whatever Lallana and Couthinho have or havnt shown, they're still way ahead of Markovic in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Kharrell wrote: »
    I can't remember, but didn't Borini do alright against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu? Worked his ass off I'm not mistaken.

Rodgers treatment of him, coupled with the transfers the summer gone, and general bewildering tactics is just bizarre compared to the man in the dugout last season and at Swansea.

As for tonight, 2-1 home win sadly I reckon, but hopefully Basel at least give them more than a scare until the very end, and thus tire them out for the weekend :P

Borini wasn't too bad away to Madrid. Considering Liverpool set up not to concede too many he was as expected, by and isolated.
    When no striker is ahead of him selection wise it doesn't bode well for him.

What's your question, you quoted me twice?

Someone took you up on the statement in bold saying it was bolocks. Which it is but you'll likely defend it anyway

''Need to win at home to stay in the competition. I would have settled for this scenario at the start no question.''

Someone took you up on the statement in bold saying it was bolocks. Which it is but you'll likely defend it anyway

''Need to win at home to stay in the competition. I would have settled for this scenario at the start no question.''

To have it in your own hands going into the last game, and the game is at Anfield ? What am I missing here?

To have it in your own hands going into the last game, and the game is at Anfield ? What am I missing here?

Liverpool are very slight favorites to qualify tonight over Basel. They were massive favs before the group started. A simple search back to the pool thread on the draw date shows everyone delighted with the draw, including yourself. Funny how now that its very tight, people suddenly rate Basel highly. Any Pool fan saying they'd have taken this scenario at the start is talking nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Heading off to catch the boat soon.

Any sort of win will do and i think it will be 2-1.

Why anyone would want to go fishing when there's a match on is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any Pool fan saying they'd have taken this scenario at the start is talking nonsense

Pool fans also said it would more than likely come down to the last game as well. To have qualification in your own hands going into the last group game? Every team would take that, no matter what the opposition.

Be sadder, rarnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Reading this thread makes me wish Utd had qualified for the champions league this year :(

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Pool fans also said it would more than likely come down to the last game as well. To have qualification in your own hands going into the last group game? Every team would take that, no matter what the opposition.

No they wouldn't. On the draw date posters were beside themselves with how nice a draw it was. One prominent poster said they had 'done a man united on it' it was so easy. In numbers terms, Liverpool are 4/5 generally to qualify tonight. At the start they were 1/4. Yet for some, this is a good scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Shouldn't be too many problems for Basel here. Rest a few players, get the draw they need and enjoy their winter break.

1-1 with Basel pulling up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement