Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Basel - 7:45 - TV3

Comments

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Liverpool are very slight favorites to qualify tonight over Basel. They were massive favs before the group started. A simple search back to the pool thread on the draw date shows everyone delighted with the draw, including yourself. Funny how now that its very tight, people suddenly rate Basel highly. Any Pool fan saying they'd have taken this scenario at the start is talking nonsense

Not really sure what your angle is. Aren't you a pool fan? Did you think we were dead certs to go through?

Basel have beaten Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea to name a few teams in the last 4 years. People dismissing them as a handy win are pretty much not clued in. Factor in a liverpool team without a striker and who are very average this season .

ld have taken this scenario hands down at the start if offered. I'm struggling to understand how you can't compute this statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No they wouldn't. On the draw date posters were beside themselves with how nice a draw it was. One prominent poster said they had 'done a man united on it' it was so easy. In numbers terms, Liverpool are 4/5 generally to qualify tonight. At the start they were 1/4. Yet for some, this is a good scenario?

I remember this. They were literally creaming their pants at how "easy" the group was. It was generally assumed that both themselves and Madrid could just shake hands at that point and go through to the knockout stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

BELIEVE

quarryman wrote: »
    I remember this. They were literally creaming their pants at how "easy" the group was. It was generally assumed that both themselves and Madrid could just shake hands at that point and go through to the knockout stages.

Cool, you just made that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

No they wouldn't. On the draw date posters were beside themselves with how nice a draw it was. One prominent poster said they had 'done a man united on it' it was so easy. In numbers terms, Liverpool are 4/5 generally to qualify tonight. At the start they were 1/4. Yet for some, this is a good scenario?

Of course a lot of Liverpool fans were happy with the draw. We were third seeds and got into a group which gave a third seed a good chance of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mignolet
    Johnson Srktel Lovren Enrique
    Lucas Allen
    Hendo Gerrard Sterling
    Lambert

is the team I have seen. Looks like like a 4-2-3-1. Can't see what other formation it can be.

Be interesting to see if Lovren can fare better with a proper DM in front of him. Performances can't get worse tho.

Lovern?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Since its pantomine season...Ohhhhh yes they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Lovern?

Lovern?

I think was more in reference to getting an easy draw but ultimately being shite.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

quarryman wrote: »

I see what you're doing here.

Real Madrid in the group aside, do you think any of the other EPL clubs in the CL in recent years supporters would have not thought similar in similar circumstances? If you say no, that's a flat out lie. Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs fans by the majority would have been chuffed with this group after a hiatus. Two lesser teams on paper and a glamour tie of Real Madrid, the defending champions.

Speaking for myself, I know if United were in Liverpool's spot, given the injuries so far this season to the United squad, my opinions and projections very well could have changed.

And credit to Ludogorets who've looked anything but minnows in this group despite their point tally. From what I heard and saw in highlights, they even gave Real Madrid a tough game, with a late goal settling the game 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oh champions league. It's what it's all about. My utd friends have to do without out. Oh poor poor them. Oh poor them. Something else than ryhmes with them.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Oh champions league. It's what it's all about. My utd friends have to do without out. Oh poor poor them. Oh poor them. Something else than ryhmes with them.

Beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I see already that this thread will be one to avoid later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Is any Liverpool fan even remotely confident of a win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lose - unfollow and forget about it.
    Win - come back and gloat.

I find that works well for me. I don't understand people that hang around to be offended and cry about what others are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I find that works well for me. I don't understand people that hang around to be offended and cry about what others are saying.

Bingo bango

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Liverpool to win 2-1. I think Gerrard experience will drag them through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

This Basel team have alot more European experience than this Liverpool team and a trip to Anfield where they need just a point wont faze them IMO.

13-14: UCL Group & Europa Quarters.
    12-13: Europa Semis.
    11-12: UCL Last 16.
    10-11: UCL Group.

Thats alot more European games than Liverpool have managed in that period, will this extra experience pull them through?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Liverpool to win 2-1. I think Gerrard experience will drag them through.

Irrelevant enough when you consider Basel as a club are more experienced in Europe recently than Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

This is the way the thread goes.
    Liverpool win - Everyone else (bar a few hardcore argumentative types) leave. The odd dig at United here and there but overall LFC celebrate their win in peace.

Liverpool Draw - (Or whatever result combo to get them EL) Some rival fans stay to talk about how this is great, Pool have more games. Some Liverpool fans cling to the hope of winning it and getting CL "It's always great to be in more comps etc"

Liverpool Lose and it all goes to ****. We'll get the Eastenders lines, "AT LEAST WE WERE IN IT THIS YEAR" United fans talking about the five years Pool spent out of the comp. League form comes into it. Something will catch fire, someone will puke on the rug and the immersion will be left on. Absolute mayhem.

LFC team to face FC Basel: Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Lovren, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Lambert

subs v Basel: Jones, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic

Pitty about Kolo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Kharrell wrote: »
    I see what you're doing here.

Real Madrid in the group aside, do you think any of the other EPL clubs in the CL in recent years supporters would have not thought similar in similar circumstances? If you say no, that's a flat out lie. Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs fans by the majority would have been chuffed with this group after a hiatus. Two lesser teams on paper and a glamour tie of Real Madrid, the defending champions.

Speaking for myself, I know if United were in Liverpool's spot, given the injuries so far this season to the United squad, my opinions and projections very well could have changed.

And credit to Ludogorets who've looked anything but minnows in this group despite their point tally. From what I heard and saw in highlights, they even gave Real Madrid a tough game, with a late goal settling the game 2-1.

Don't you know this is a match thread? Common sense need not apply ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charlie19 wrote: »
    LFC team to face FC Basel: Mignolet, Johnson, Enrique, Lovren, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling, Lambert

subs v Basel: Jones, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic

Pitty about Kolo

Kolo knock? No Borini as tweeted by his girlfriend (!), if Lambert goes down in the first minute then what?

Timmyctc wrote: »
    This is the way the thread goes.
    Liverpool win - Everyone else (bar a few hardcore argumentative types) leave. The odd dig at United here and there but overall LFC celebrate their win in peace.

Liverpool Draw - (Or whatever result combo to get them EL) Some rival fans stay to talk about how this is great, Pool have more games. Some Liverpool fans cling to the hope of winning it and getting CL "It's always great to be in more comps etc"

Liverpool Lose and it all goes to ****. We'll get the Eastenders lines, "AT LEAST WE WERE IN IT THIS YEAR" United fans talking about the five years Pool spent out of the comp. League form comes into it. Something will catch fire, someone will puke on the rug and the immersion will be left on. Absolute mayhem.

Mods will hopefully step in to quench the fire at least

• Advertisement

Out of our starting back four tonight, in an ideal world, I'd start none of them.

WTF !

Lovren back in ?

Lambert won't last the 90 !?

Gerrard will try to do it all and if we're not winning around 70 mins everything we do will go through him.

Atleast Sakho is on the bench

I am not optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Looks like a 4231 with Henderson on the right, very defensive looking team. I can see us being very conservative for the first half, hopefully keeping it tight and then trying to push on. Hopefully Gerrard will have another good game further forward, him and Sterling are probably our best hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That lineup distills me with no confidence at all.

If we lose tonight the mods will have a busy night

Kolo knock? No Borini as tweeted by his girlfriend (!), if Lambert goes down in the first minute then what?

Yeah thigh strain for Kolo and another stubborn call by Rodgers to leave out Borini.
    I dont see why any fan wouldn't want Borini on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Another game with all the attackers dropping deep and no one making runs behind the back four, and no Borini on the bench if we need another striker. Not looking forward to this game at all.

Looks like a 4231 with Henderson on the right, very defensive looking team. I can see us being very conservative for the first half, hopefully keeping it tight and then trying to push on. Hopefully Gerrard will have another good game further forward, him and Sterling are probably our best hopes.

Conservative? Can we be any more conservative that we have up to this point in the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Is any Liverpool fan even remotely confident of a win?

I wasn't aware it was an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Borini not even on the bench is just baffling. What if Lambert gets injured?

Not hopeful about this at all. Could see us limping out with a 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on Basel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

mosstin wrote: »
    Conservative? Can we be any more conservative that we have up to this point in the season?

I never said we would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not too optimistic. The team is lacking pace. I would have started Markovic even though he hasn't done great as he does have pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

efb wrote: »
    Come on Basel!

Expected

_879875_basilbrush_300.jpg

B4byJVwIgAAN17l.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    I wasn't aware it was an option.

Its an option now after see the starting xi.

Good to see Gerrard and Henderson playing further forward with the Allen and Lucas doing the dog work.

And a mention for the Enrique.

• Advertisement

I never said we would be.

I never said you said we had. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Lovren in, Borini not even on the bench. Dig your own grave Brendan.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Lovren in, Borini not even on the bench. Dig your own grave Brendan.

If needs be, perhaps we could wait for the burial afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm going to be honest here, are Liverpool actually better off in the Europa? They won't win the CL anyway and this year the Europa gives them a chance of a CL spot which looks as if it's slipping away from them in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We won't be winning the Europa, either.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest here, are Liverpool actually better off in the Europa? They won't win the CL anyway and this year the Europa gives them a chance of a CL spot which looks as if it's slipping away from them in the league.

Europa will be welcomed should we fail to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Expected

_879875_basilbrush_300.jpg

Boom boom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A nervous 2-1 win i think! (hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Everyone pessimistic here including myself as I don't see where the goals will come from and our defence is awful.
    No doubt Liverpool will win 3-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

A nervous 2-1 win i think! (hope)

Nah I think Basel will ultimately be comfortable enough. :pac:

Advertisement