Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship and leaving for a while query

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi, quick question guys....
    Currently going through the citizenship process, hope to be complete in early 2015.
    Looks like in the not too distant future, maybe 18 months, will need to return home for a few years, not sure if we'll be returning to oz anytime soon after that. Could be 5+ years.
    Anybody any recent experience or tips about things that should be done before leaving such as speaking to tax office, super funds, electoral office etc.
    Don't want to come back in 5 years and find we're in all sorts of bother that could have been avoided with a simple email or phone call.
    For example just found out last year that had we got on to Irish tax office before or just after leaving 4 years ago we could have arranged to keep contributing into pension. Would have been good to know, even to just pop in a few euro a week. Sadly that boat has sailed and will need to start the clock again on return. Stuff like that would have been handy to know then to keep options open.
    Any similar things worth looking into before leaving Oz for a few years?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Do you know any aussies who have gone to the UK? Or even what you had to do when you left Ireland?
    Pretty much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

One other thing I got done when I left was get a letter from my car insurer saying what my No Claims Discount was. Not all companies would accept the letter but some would so might be worth getting one. Apart from that, you've mentioned most things. Super fund to reduce fees as much as possible, bank, tax office etc. Can't think of anything else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

hussey wrote: »
    Do you know any aussies who have gone to the UK? Or even what you had to do when you left Ireland?
    Pretty much the same thing.

That's a good idea actually, might chase some Aussie expats for info.
    Thanks.
    The voting and fines for not voting is one thing I must chase down, that's a new one over the Irish system.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

One other thing I got done when I left was get a letter from my car insurer saying what my No Claims Discount was. Not all companies would accept the letter but some would so might be worth getting one. Apart from that, you've mentioned most things. Super fund to reduce fees as much as possible, bank, tax office etc. Can't think of anything else really.

Thanks, that's good about the car insurance, not looking forward to going back to zero no claims in Ireland.

Advertisement