Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sold car - found spare key

• 09-12-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

So I traded in my car with only one key and now, months later, I've found the spare key.

But it gets slightly more complicated from there. After trading in the car, I'm pretty sure it went to auction and was then sold on again, as I saw it on donedeal. Unfortunately, there's no longer any trace of the donedeal ad so I can't even contact that seller.

Are there any means by which I can get the key to the new owner (without appearing like I'm trying to find the whereabouts of a car I have a key for so I can rob it) or is it even worthwhile?

Keys, these days, are quite expensive and I know I'd rather have a spare than not have one or have to fork out for one. So there's someone out there without a spare key to their car and here I am with the spare key to someone else's car and it's useless to me. What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With data protection rules you won't be able to find out the current owner, your only hope will be to spot it for sale and offer up the key to the seller. If it was me I would run a search on the car on Donedeal and Carzone, if if was on neither I would throw the key in to the sea and forget about it, you tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hmmmmm. Post it to the dept of transport with a brief explanation. With any luck, maybe the festive cheer will encourage some civil servant to do something outside of their usual zombie brain work list and post the key to the new owner. Either way, the key is no longer your problem/concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Tie a label to it, with the registration of the car on it.
    Then take it to the Guards.
    Tell them you found it in the street.

They'll do the rest. Simples...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

i would have thought maybe the Gardai should be able to get it back to the owner. Worth a try!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Maybe stick up an ad on adverts or done deal? "Are you the owner of......" etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had the same one time, met the new lady owner on the street by the car and stated I had a spare key for the car.
    I asked did she want it, No was the answer.
    It was a little strange but I just stuck it on the keyring of mystery keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

roadsmart wrote: »
    " Are you the owner of, or do you wish to steal...." more like :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

roadsmart wrote: »

You really didn't think that through did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So I traded in my car with only one key and now, months later, I've found the spare key.

But it gets slightly more complicated from there. After trading in the car, I'm pretty sure it went to auction and was then sold on again, as I saw it on donedeal. Unfortunately, there's no longer any trace of the donedeal ad so I can't even contact that seller.

Are there any means by which I can get the key to the new owner (without appearing like I'm trying to find the whereabouts of a car I have a key for so I can rob it) or is it even worthwhile?

Keys, these days, are quite expensive and I know I'd rather have a spare than not have one or have to fork out for one. So there's someone out there without a spare key to their car and here I am with the spare key to someone else's car and it's useless to me. What to do?
    What type of car was it I bought a car off a dealer on donedeal with only 1 key. He was supposed to get back to the original owner as he bought it from a main dealer but of course he didn't bother his arse :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What type of car was it I bought a car off a dealer on donedeal with only 1 key. He was supposed to get back to the original owner as he bought it from a main dealer but of course he didn't bother his arse :mad:

It's a Mazda 6. I told the guys I traded it to that I was sure I had it somewhere but at the price of the car they weren't overly bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I think I'll try this route. But I suspect (depending on the guard) that they might just not be arsed (in fairness they do have more important things to do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I still have the spare for my old focus. Was on my wife's keychain when I returned the car, and I never got around to dropping it off. There ought to be an amnesty for old keys. Must be a pain in the arse having only one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

" Are you the owner of, or do you wish to steal...." more like :P
    djr15 wrote: »
    You really didn't think that through did you?

Of course I did, and it's a perfectly viable idea, with a small bit of caution and sense. The only problem was that I didn't allow for the "everyone's evil and out to rob you" tinfoil hat brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

We could make a spare key thread. I also have one from a Clio I sold not that long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

This might not be a good idea. If the person owns the car asks where was it found and is told somewhere they have never been it could end up with gardai calling to your door asking what are you up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

The most a lot of them will do is throw it in the lost & found, and the key will never see the light of day again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This might not be a good idea. If the person owns the car asks where was it found and is told somewhere they have never been it could end up with gardai calling to your door asking what are you up to?

that's if you give your nane when you hand it in which you are not obliged or required to do and even if you did give your name and they did call out, you tell the truth, there's no crime or offence committed, you simply took the only route available to get the spare key to the new owner because this country is so far up its own arse in terms of data protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

that's if you give your nane when you hand it in which you are not obliged or required to do and even if you did give your name and they did call out, you tell the truth, there's no crime or offence committed, you simply took the only route available to get the spare key to the new owner because this country is so far up its own arse in terms of data protection.

You are not telling the truth about how you aquired the key. I dont know if thats legal.

Also, a lot of people like data protection. I certainly dont want any tom, dick, harry, rapist or murderer to get my address or any other personal details because they know my numberplate .

Advertisement