Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo County Council Meetin in Knock

Options
  • 09-12-2014 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Anybody at this yesterday or hear about it?

Shocking allegations here for the authority.

I hope they are not true.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its Frank Durcan, you can't be surprised at anything he brings up. A shock jock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Durcan is a waste of space. You'd think, as a councillor, he would want to use the meeting to see what can be done about the airport but instead he is too busy engaging in political point scoring. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Frank has been making serious allegations against the county manager of the day over the last thirty odd years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nuac wrote: »
    Frank has been making serious allegations against the county manager of the day over the last thirty odd years.

Now he could have bitten off more than he can chew.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Durcan is fantastic........If there were more Frank Durcans the country wouldnt be in the state its in today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I don't know the ins and outs of this. The problem is that the county manager is not accountable to anyone. The councillors can't piss him off or else he won't facilitate their pet projects and plans.

Which begs the question - what is Frank Durcan delivering for his constituents?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Mayo Co Co has bought a share in Knock airport, €7.3M I think or 17%.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21132:historic-deal-saves-knock-airport&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Hopefully nothing holding them back now from expanding (except that buck that objects to everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Good news

Hope they are getting as good a deal as Shannon is getting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

nuac wrote: »
    Good news

Hope they are getting as good a deal as Shannon is getting

Not quite as good a deal as Shannon. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) but the government (taxpayer) bailed out Shannon airports debts of about €200M which wiped the slate clean for them.

Apologies for going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Some investment is needed although I don’t know if they’ll get the €36 million they are looking for in the above linked article.
    I fly a good bit and often spend more in the airport than on the flights itself. Problem with Knock is everyone goes straight through security for fear of getting delayed going through it. What they need to do is move and develop more retail and restaurant area after security. That way when people are waiting they will spend more and get the last few coins out of people. Only one carvery type restaurant and bar are past security. You could have a dedicated coffee shop, sandwich and juice bar, fast food restaurant like Supermacs as well as retail outlets for people to browse. The rent and income from these can bring in more than cheap flights. That's what I'd look at first and you could probably do that with €2-3 million instead of €36. I really can't see them getting €36 million or anywhere close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Dudda - terminal/retail expansion is probably part of the plan, but the investment is required for vital airside infrastructure and you can see how the costs add up:

Extended Apron
    Current apron has 3 "Cat C" parking stands (737/A320)
    - Restricting handling more than 4 concurrent movements (aircraft queuing on the runway/holding on cargo apron and delays in Summer months).
    - Restricting larger aircraft slots (Cat D/E taking up 2 stands).
    - Restricted push-back manoeuvring area for larger aircraft.
    - Restricted handling services areas
    - Restricting use of cargo apron area

Plan is to provide additional 6 stands
    Pier from extending terminal (developed in 2 phases as growth allows).
    Allows for Air-bridges in the future.

This requires:
    Moving/rebuilding the Fuel Farm and Water Tanks.
    Moving the Car Hire compound.
    Extensive earthworks.
    New handling compounds and equipment.

Runway overlay
    Current runway is nearing point where it needs resurfacing. (Standard runway maintenance every 10-20 years)
    Includes lighting/electrics upgrades, drainage, new friction course etc.

Looping Taxiway
    Second taxiway from Apron A to turn-pad on runway 27.
    This would prevent queuing, and allow better circulation between arriving and departing aircraft entering/exiting the runway via a single taxiway currently.

Land side roads and parking
    Moving and extending the Car Hire compound.
    Long-term Carpark area.
    Covered walkways.
    Improved road layout and parking areas.
    New access road with drop-off, taxi and bus stands directly outside terminal.

Along with all that are plans to relocate Fire Station, improve arrivals area , bigger baggage hall + belts, more space for customs ....
    Not sure half those projects are even included in the current plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I can see how that (impressive list wherever you got it) would add up to €36 million but let’s be realistic. That’s a wish list. I’d love to see it happen but I can’t see and wouldn't trust a government to deliver that size a project to the west of Ireland. It will probably be a watered down version that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Mayo Co Co has bought a share in Knock airport, €7.3M I think or 17%.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21132:historic-deal-saves-knock-airport&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Hopefully nothing holding them back now from expanding (except that buck that objects to everything)

Who actually owns Knock Airport though? i.e. who has always been the largest shareholder?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Community Trust structure:

The airport is run by CADCO (Connacht Airport Development Company Limited).

CADCO is delegated (sub-contracted) to run the airport legally by the Horan International Airport Trust (the sole shareholder) which is made up of eight voluntary trustees whose role is to ensure all profits are reinvested in developing the airport and region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Community Trust structure:

The airport is run by CADCO (Connacht Airport Development Company Limited).

CADCO is delegated (sub-contracted) to run the airport legally by the Horan International Airport Trust (the sole shareholder) which is made up of eight voluntary trustees whose role is to ensure all profits are reinvested in developing the airport and region.

Who are the 8 voluntary trustees?

I bet none are politicians.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

finisklin wrote: »
    Who are the 8 voluntary trustees?

I bet none are politicians.:D

Hopefully :D

Advertisement