Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost cctv and weather station

Options
  • 09-12-2014 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Up to a few days ago I was able to see my cctv and weather station on the internet.
    Now it has disappeared. Can some one advise me....is it a modem/router problem.
    I had disconnected the weather station to re position it and when reconnected I have nothing.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Check your port forwarding rules. You may have picked up a different ip addresse when you reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

had a look at the modem settings in "games"....settings seem ok.....I notices that I sometimes have to switch off the router to get my desktop to connect to the internet. Is there a conflict between my modem and router.
    Any help appreciated.
    Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

From a PC on the home network, see if you can get to the CCTV on the local network. I've had a few of these and you usually connect to them through the browser using the http://<IP Address>:<port>, for example http://192.168.1.40:3000

If you can establish that it is still working on the local area network, you then need to confirm whether it is working from the outside.... For it to be working from the outside.. 1. Internet must be up 2.Port forwarding rule must be working on the router and 3. IP address of your router must be the same (if using a static IP)

Check the ip address from the local LAN by going to whatismyip.com which will return the public IP that you are using. If this is correct, go to one of the online port scanning sites like http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/ and check that the correct ports are open from the Internet.

CountyHurler....many thanks for your detailed reply. I will do the checks and let you know the result.
    Thank you

external internal protocol enabled
    cctv 80 80 TCP YES
    ALARM 1001 1001 TCP YES
    Weather stn 22222 22222 TCP YES

following your instruction I was able to see the cctv screen....but could not do anything with it....could not connect to see view. No luck with Alarm or weather station.
    Can you advise anything. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

garroff wrote: »
    I was able to see the cctv screen....but could not do anything with it....could not connect to see view. No luck with Alarm or weather station.

Is this when you are using internal (LAN) or external (WAN/internet) connection?

How are you connecting? Is it from a browser or from an application?

just used browser...entered http://192.168.1.30:80.. for cctv

If you have't tried yet, you could reboot your router and see if you can reconnect afterwards.

rebooted modem.....could not connect to internet at desktop....mobile devices ok...phone and tablet.
    Had to disconnect router and reboot modem to get back on internet at desktop.

rebooted modem.....could not connect to internet at desktop....mobile devices ok...phone and tablet.
    Had to disconnect router and reboot modem to get back on internet at desktop.

Ouch, I'm glad you got connectivity back, normally a router reboot should be seamless! Anyhow, it appears you have a separate modem & router? Assuming that after the router reboot you had only wifi connectivity to the internet, there is something funky going on with the wired connections.

Assuming you have a fixed IP address on your cctv system, you could connect a laptop with another fixed IP address in the same range (192.168.1.X) directly to the cctc system to confirm if you can browse to the system using port 80. This is just to rule out some potential config problems.

• Advertisement

Have a separate modem and router. But up until last week everything worked ok. These has been no change to wiring....how can I check router to see if settings are correct?....what are the correct settings.
    It is a Linksys wireless router ....two cables are connect to the ports....none is connected to the interned port....is this the correct configuration....I think the cables are from the weather stn and house alarm.

Do you have a cable going from the modem to the router?

the router has 5 connections....internet and ports 1,2,3 and 4.
    There is no cable in the internet position and cables in ports 2 and 3.

Because it is a wireless router is there a need for a cable in the internet post.
    The leds are lighting in the front of the router but should there be a blinking light at the cabless connected to ports 2 and 3?

What type of internet service are you using adsl, upc, fixed wireless? Normally you would have a cable going from the modem to the internet connection of the router. The router would then provide internet access via the ethernet LAN ports and via WiFi if wireless. You MUST have some some sort of connection from modem to router.

What model modem and router do you have? Specific model numbers would help, they are normally printed on a sticker on each device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Garoff,

I have two main points that I would be looking at:

POINT ONE

I'm not sure what the exact result of connect to the http://192.168.1.30:80 was? Can you clarify? 192.168.1.30 looks like it might be a DHCP assigned address...

Back to brass tacks, you need to establish the following :
    1. What IP the camera is on. Is it wired or wireless?
    2. Is it statically assigned or DHCP(dynamically) assigned?
    3. Is there any possibility of there being an IP address conflict.. i.e. where two devices are being assigned the same IP address?
    4. Can you ping the IP address consistently over a reasonable period of time... Open command prompt and type PING 192.168.1.30 -T and see if it responds on a consistent basis...

And I would forget about the port forwarding / router/ internet etc until you establish the above..

POINT TWO
    Also, I've just noticed from your second post that the CCTV is on port 80.... This can be a bit of a nightmare, because particular routers just dont like forwarding port 80 because they expect to be using that port for configuring themselves...

I had a vodafone router once that I was forwarding port 80 to a CCTV system. It worked perfectly for about three weeks... Then there was a power cut and low and behold the Vodafone router had grabbed port 80 all for itself again (even though the setup still looked good in the router configuration)....

I would connect to the CCTV system and change the IP used from 80 to 8000 or something.... this is usually pretty easy to do from the CCTV management interface... Moving it off port 80 makes it less likely to be hacked also..

1) camera on ip 192.168.1.39....it is wired
    2) static
    3)unlikely....need to check...(in modem?)
    4) pinged...and got result...package sent 4....returned 4....no lost...max 2ms.

When I accessed the cctv system the first think I saw was "HDD MISSING"

Has my HDD gone faulty and could this be the cause of my problem?....How can I check it?

Many thanks everyone.

just used browser...entered http://192.168.1.30:80.. for cctv
    1) camera on ip 192.168.1.39....it is wired

So, which is it?

Can you get to the management page for the cctv system. Is there a status or diagnostic screen? You maybe want to get an installer to have a look for you.

Got into setup page....it told me "no HDD"....HDD gone missing

Got into setup page....it told me "no HDD"....HDD gone missing

Maybe take that discussion over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1366

You might get advise from the experts :)

Many thanks degsie...just to bring you up to speed....when I disconnected the cctv unit from the tv, I checked in my desk top and can now see live cctv pictures!!!!.
    But I still don't know if HDD is working.
    But it is progress and again thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭coillcam

Power it down the unit, open it up and re-seat the HDD. If there's a CMOS (coin-cell) battery remove and re-seat it also. See if that helps.

If you have a USB to HDD adapter it might be no harm taking the HDD out and connecting it to a computer with this. From there you can run diagnostics or see if its even detected in the first place. Quick way to find out if you have HDD problems.

Advertisement