Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent grammar help as usual....

Options
  • 09-12-2014 11:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭

Which is correct?

1. .....that this is the first job description that I have read......

2. .....that this is the first job description which I have read......

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

ALso - is it 'bear with me' or 'bare with me'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Sclosages wrote: »
    ALso - is it 'bear with me' or 'bare with me'?

That would depend on whether you want me to tolerate you, or for us to get undressed together!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Eirien

Which is correct?

Unless you want to provide some extra, non-essential information which is not actually required to understand which job description we are talking about (as in “the first job description, which I only read because I had nothing better to do“), either 'that' or 'which' are fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Eirien wrote: »
    Unless you want to provide some extra, non-essential information which is not actually required to understand which job description we are talking about (as in “the first job description, which I only read because I had nothing better to do“), either 'that' or 'which' are fine.

oops - the sentence did continue and I went with 'that'. Ah well. Hopefully they're not grammar pedants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Which is correct?

On this side of the Atlantic, which and that are used interchangeably in such constructions. In the USA, they lean more strongly towards that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

On this side of the Atlantic, which and that are used interchangeably in such constructions. In the USA, they lean more strongly towards that.

...and Canada.....

tac

Advertisement