Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove not giving off heat...

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

We have had a Hunter Herald 8 flat top installed over 5 years but as we didn't live in the house the first couple of years ourselves we didn't realise how badly it performs (if we did we would have asked shop/installers to come back out to have a look at it and we can't now as the shop is gone).

The draft is generally good but you could keep holding your hand on the top of it without burning your hand and the heat output is minimal even with a blazing fire. It is not connected to radiators but should be warming the room only.
    Sometimes it also lets out smoke when we open the door to put in more timber or nuggets.

Do you think that it is not installed properly, or is it a really bad stove that we would be better off trying to change for another model?

We have a much cheaper and smaller Chinese make stove in another room in the house which is soooo much better as the heat output is very good and the stove itself heats up really well (compared to the hunter stove that I could sit on top of without burning!).

Any ideas of how to fix this, or have other people had similar experiences with this stove?

PS. we have had to change the throat plate as the original one broke, and replaced it with a metal plate
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

beatle wrote: »
    PS. we have had to change the throat plate as the original one broke, and replaced it with a metal plate

When you say you replaced with a metal plate, was this plate made to the same shape and dimensions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

No, they sold us a metal plate that was especially made for the Hunter stoves as they said that the material of the old one keeps breaking, so better with a metal one. The original plate was just square and rested on the 'ledges', whereas the new one has a curve on the front and fits in at the back (hard to describe it).

Do you think the throat plate is to blame? As far as I remember, I don't think that the stove performed much better before that was replaced...

It is so strange to me that I can hold my hand firm on the stove when a fire is blazing less than a foot below... It will heat up a bit after a couple of hours, but not as much as I'd like it to. I feel that we are wasting our timber by burning it in that stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Just thinking... At the time of the installation, I remember seeing a silver flexible thing (flu liner? not sure of the terms) and thought it looked a bit flimsy but said nothing as I trusted the installer to know what he was doing.

The thing is, it was first installed very close to the wall, but we then decided we wanted stonework behind the stove, where the old open fireplace was. The stove then had to be brought out further from the wall to allow this, and was then connected again with some extension part, and that's when I thought the flexible silver thing looked a bit flimsy (apologies for the silly names due to my lack of knowledge in the stoves business!) I can honestly not remember if we ever had the stove lit between installing it the first time and before bringing it out to allow for the stonework.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Advertisement