Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 TI Race Calendar

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if you thought this was announcing it's release, but just a mini rant

This time last year we had the calendar a month already. This year TI said they wanted to get it out earlier, so obviously it's December and we're still waiting.

Our esteemed mod of three characters asked on SM and was told released end of this week.

Pretty sure early bird for one race at least has already closed, which is a little unfair, especially given it's likely to be a NS race.

Here's hoping we see it this week, cause the closer we get to xmas the less chance we'll see it this side of 2015.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

TI National Series Calendar released today - no lack of choice with 29 NS races on age groupers circuit! Any idea what has happened to Joey Hannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's here!!!!
    http://triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=2055

National Championships
    • Sprint: Pulse Port Beach Triathlon 29/09/2015
    • Standard: Vodafone Dublin City Triathlon 23/08/2015
    • Middle: triAthlone 04/07/2015
    • Aquathlon: Galway Aquathlon Festival 11/07/2015
    • Mixed Team Relay: JustTri Club Relay 20/06/2015
    • Duathlon: TBC
    National Series
    • Sligo Triathlon Club Pool Sprint 19/04/2015 (Sprint)
    • Liam Ball Triathlon 03/05/2015 (Sprint)
    • Valentia Island Sprint Triathlon 16/05/2015 (Sprint)
    • TRI 795 CARLOW 17/05/2015 (Sprint)
    • Lough Cutra Castle Triathlon 24/05/2015 (Standard)
    • TriAthy Sprint 2015 30/05/2015 (Sprint)
    • Crooked Lake Triathlon 06/06/2015 (Sprint)
    • Westport Sprint Traithlon 06/06/2015 (Sprint)
    • Fastnet Triathlon 07/06/2015 (Sprint)
    • Tri An Mhi CXIII Middle Distance Triathlon 13/06/2015 (Middle)
    • firmus energy city of derry sprint triathlon 14/06/2015 (Sprint)
    • Hook or By Crook 13/06/2015 (Sprint)
    • Hell of the West 27/06/2015 (Standard)
    • triAthlone (Middle NC) 04/07/2015 (Middle)
    • Sligo Tri Club Lissadell Standard 19/07/2015 (Standard)
    • I-TRI Ennis Sprint 25/07/2015 (Sprint)
    • King of the Hill 25/07/2015 (Sprint)
    • Belfast Titanic Triathlon 26/07/2015 (Standard)
    • Tri The Lough 01/08/2015 (Sprint)
    • Predator Sprint Triathlon 02/08/2015 (Sprint)
    • Caroline Kearney 08/08/2015 (Standard)
    • Lough Neagh Triathlon 15/08/2015 (Sprint)
    • Vodafone Dublin City Triathlon 23/08/2015 (Standard)
    • Lakeside Triathlon 29/08/2015 (Sprint)
    • Mourne Triathlon - Olympian Triathlon Club 29/08/2015 (Sprint)
    • The Lost Sheep 05/09/2015 (Middle)
    • Lough Key Tri 06/09/2015 (Sprint)
    • Blacksod Point Challenge Triathlon 19/09/2015 (Standard)
    • Pulse Port Beach Triathlon 26/09/2015 (Sprint)
    Cat 1 Super Series: See other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    TI National Series Calendar released today - no lack of choice with 29 NS races on age groupers circuit! Any idea what has happened to Joey Hannon?

It could be still on but looks like its not a NS event this year, any word on when other non NS races will be released or will it be done in a piecemeal way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

How come Dublin 70.30 isn't there as Long Distance Championship?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Any idea what has happened to Joey Hannon?

i'm sure will still be running, just not an NS race this year, wasn't last year either was it?

• Advertisement

posted this in other thread but more relevant here

7 in munster, but 3 in the one month in june, 2 on the same day in july,another 1 of them a middle distance race. i know it's too easy to complain about these things, and people give out too much, but that's a poor spread

that said, i may end up with 4 NS races this year, not by intent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Any knowledge of Carlow sprint (obviously a pool one)

Now to pick races. Never done Valentia. Tempted but the cold water in May...... Actually thats not a problem, sure the swim will be cancelled if they see a wave or have to put on a jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Any knowledge of Carlow sprint (obviously a pool one)

Glad to see this back. If its the same as previous, a 25m outdoor pool in Bunclody, twisty backroads bike with some hills, and a hilly out and back run.

There can be a lot of hanging around if you're in one of the faster swim waves!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

No Two Provence's on the list. That's disappointing, great race on closed roads and gets better and better every yr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Glad to see this back. If its the same as previous, a 25m outdoor pool in Bunclody, twisty backroads bike with some hills, and a hilly out and back run.

There can be a lot of hanging around if you're in one of the faster swim waves!

It's not the same this year. It's in Carlow as opposed to Wexford (geography not your strongest point Kurt ;)) and it's a river swim. After that not sure, I'm not involved in the organisation of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

catweazle wrote: »
    It could be still on but looks like its not a NS event this year, any word on when other non NS races will be released or will it be done in a piecemeal way?

It wasnt a NS race either last year

tunney wrote: »
    Now to pick races. Never done Valentia. Tempted but the cold water in May...... Actually thats not a problem, sure the swim will be cancelled if they see a wave or have to put on a jumper.

Still Swimming in the Sea it nice, not as cold as last year. Sea Temp is still around 9-10
    Pros ..... No JellyFish and a big plus is no sh*t talk from people telling you they are a Triathlete, as by now they are all wrapped up in there Christmas jumpers for the winter and hitting the pools.

Cons.. Brain Frezzee and big waves to swim

Still Swimming in the Sea it nice, not as cold as last year. Sea Temp is still around 9-10
    Pros ..... No JellyFish and a big plus is no sh*t talk from people telling you they are a Triathlete, as by now they are all wrapped up in there Christmas jumpers for the winter and hitting the pools.

"The swim portion may be cancelled if the official water temperature is lower than 15ºC"

That's the problem right there, at those sort of temps you won't be hearing any sh*t talk from any wetsuited Triathletes in Valentia. Very risky to have it in May, given the current ITU temperature rules. Pity, because its a great part of the world for a swim.

Given the Dublin 70.30 will be "bringing so many into the sport" you can expect a much higher rate of swim cancellations this year.

never knew about that Rule of the Sea Temp having to be 15ºC

how come the Castle Tri in Galway was left off last year in May water was meant to very cold.

never knew about that Rule of the Sea Temp having to be 15ºC

how come the Castle Tri in Galway was left off last year in May water was meant to very cold.

Because the Castle Tri people are more enlightened! It was cold, but a great swim (and well within the reach of the many 8-10 year olds who swam there too). ITU water temp rules are too strict for our shores and climate: TI should adapt the BTU rules on temps for these isles, and so less swims would be canceled (and people would not have to travel long distances in uncertainty that the swim might be canceled).

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

griffin100 wrote: »
    It's not the same this year. It's in Carlow as opposed to Wexford (geography not your strongest point Kurt ;)) and it's a river swim. After that not sure, I'm not involved in the organisation of this one.

Part of bunclody is in Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Have mine picked provided I am fit by May 30th. Many of them are the ones I had to pull out of last year so hopefully I can stay injury free for them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i think this is improvement and maybe once in a while we should talk about the postive rather than nitpiking about thinks that can go wrong.

Well done T1 its never going to be prefect for everybody but its a huge improvement
    higher quality fields more nat sieres races so everybody should be happy cmpared to the last few years .

• Advertisement

a big plus is no sh*t talk from people telling you they are a Triathlete, as by now they are all wrapped up in there Christmas jumpers for the winter and hitting the pools.

better off avoiding all the races listed there so. there is a good chance there could be some of those sh&te talking triathletes at those.

peter kern wrote: »
    i think this is improvement and maybe once in a while we should talk about the postive rather than nitpiking about thinks that can go wrong.

Well done T1 its never going to be prefect for everybody but its a huge improvement
    higher quality fields more nat sieres races so everybody should be happy cmpared to the last few years .

Point taken Peter- its a fair geographical spread, lots of choice for the four scoring NS races, and I guess races in May or Sept you pays your money and takes your chances, but they are a better option than no race at all in those months.

Carlow, Lough Cutra, HOBK, CK, and Pulse are going in my Calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Anybody managed to view the full calendar including the non-NS races? I went for a peek yesterday but got a website error under the "Enter Races" link. Hoping to see some personal favourites Tri an Mhi and Beast of the East back on the calendar.

Looks like they've listened to some of the moans at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Can anyone answer the following questions?

Has the age group national championships (at standard and sprint) been now replaced by the Category 1 National championships? ie. No competition in the age groups ?

And the only competition for the other 95% is defunct National Series were you can cheat your way to the top by racing obscure races were no one else turns up?

Forward thinking at its best.

Can anyone answer the following questions?

Has the age group national championships (at standard and sprint) been now replaced by the Category 1 National championships? ie. No competition in the age groups ?

And the only competition for the other 95% is defunct National Series were you can cheat your way to the top by racing obscure races were no one else turns up?

Forward thinking at its best.

Just call yourself an AG champ.
    I was 30-34 AG NS champ last year*

*No one cares so no will check

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They weren't 'let off'. The temperature rules apply to everyone however due to the black rock / soil in Lough Cutra and it being a man made lake it stays warmer for longer and warms up quicker than most other bodies of fresh water.

Probably one of the few early races that are unlikely to be shortened or cancelled.

ok, thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm assuming there'll be promotion to division 1 in 2016 based on the NS next year. The criticism of the National Series for a good few years was that it was too easy to pick easy races to score in. I thought this had been tightened up over the last few years. Whatever one's thoughts on the fairness of draft legal racing, at least for the top guys in category 1, with such a small number of races in the super series, there'll be no avoiding the stronger athletes. This won't be the case in the new expanded NS. Depending on who turns up I think some very cheap points could be picked up in certain races. Whether this is the way qualification for Division 1 in 2016 works or not, the final standings in the NS next season will more than likely not be an accurate reflection of the talent within that category.

I think TI are right to introduce the super series, but there was no need to introduce it at the expense of the National Series. If racing NS appeals to you, you should be prepared to travel. Having an equal number of races spread out across the country takes the competition out of it. Somebody who picks four races in Ulster has not been competing against someone who races four times in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    Just call yourself an AG champ.
    I was 30-34 AG NS champ last year*

*No one cares so no will check

LOL when do i pick up my medal

Everyone that knows me knows my gripe is the best races is were you have the best competition accross all the age groups. This has always been the National Championships. Now its the 5% National Champs unless im wrong ;)

• Advertisement

LOL when do i pick up my medal

Everyone that knows me knows my gripe is the best races is were you have the best competition accross all the age groups. This has always been the National Championships. Now its the 5% National Champs unless im wrong ;)

Putting an order in for 8001 medals from Bright Promotions so all 8000 members can be winners too.

Anyways the NC and NS is so last year, next year is all about Dublin 70.30 and the tattoos.

Advertisement