Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 TI Race Calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

tunney wrote: »
    Putting an order in for 8001 medals from Bright Promotions so all 8000 members can be winners too.

Anyways the NC and NS is so last year, next year is all about Dublin 70.30 and the tattoos.

You getting a 70.3 Tattoo ??

Speaking about Tattoos i think i wouldnt get an Ironman one but i would get an Isklar Norseman tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

tattoos.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Ti had driven the nat series in the ground and nobody in their right frame of mind would have cared about it anyway in the last 2-3 years ( as 300 finsiher in 2014 suggest it was just a joke)
    so the nat sereies will not lose importance if you know what I mean ... and the draft legal races will be good for juniors etc.
    for people that cant/ wont swim there is duathlons and middle distance champs. so nobody really loses out.
    i would agree to that every 2nd year the oly nat champs should be non draft legal but given the fact that we did not have draft legal champs for so long its fair to have both sprint and oly drafting next year.

i guarantee you that kilkee will still be the strongest field outside the nat champs like every year so you wanna race a good field go there.
    zico10 wrote: »
    I'm assuming there'll be promotion to division 1 in 2016 based on the NS next year. The criticism of the National Series for a good few years was that it was too easy to pick easy races to score in. I thought this had been tightened up over the last few years. Whatever one's thoughts on the fairness of draft legal racing, at least for the top guys in category 1, with such a small number of races in the super series, there'll be no avoiding the stronger athletes. This won't be the case in the new expanded NS. Depending on who turns up I think some very cheap points could be picked up in certain races. Whether this is the way qualification for Division 1 in 2016 works or not, the final standings in the NS next season will more than likely not be an accurate reflection of the talent within that category.

I think TI are right to introduce the super series, but there was no need to introduce it at the expense of the National Series. If racing NS appeals to you, you should be prepared to travel. Having an equal number of races spread out across the country takes the competition out of it. Somebody who picks four races in Ulster has not been competing against someone who races four times in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

How many people in Cat one will swim 20 mins and under in the National OlyChamps...i would guess 6 or 7... put that 6 or 7 together on the bike and thats your first seven home...everyone else fighting for scraps no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You getting a 70.3 Tattoo ??

Speaking about Tattoos i think i wouldnt get an Ironman one but i would get an Isklar Norseman tattoo

Yup.

Much like people don't seem to need to swim to do the Dublin 70.30 I reckon I don't actually need to do the race to get a "Dublin 70.30" tatoo.

Reckon that swim might suit you alright.

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    i guarantee you that kilkee will still be the strongest field outside the nat champs like every year so you wanna race a good field go there.

Yeah but what if someone doesn't want to do draft legal racing?

How many people in Cat one will swim 20 mins and under in the National OlyChamps...i would guess 6 or 7... put that 6 or 7 together on the bike and thats your first seven home...everyone else fighting for scraps no?

Nope, you'll have the 22-23 minute uber bikes who will drag others back to the first back swimmers.

i assume for the sprint there will be quite a few sub 20 min level juniors.

and there will also be enough cyclists that can form a team and catch up and trust me the stong cyclists will still do well and it will be a bit like gomez against mola in Itu or spirig againt the rest of the filed.

Yeah but what if someone doesn't want to do draft legal racing?
    well nobody has to . its their choice if they want to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

In a championship race that would more or less be the case whether it's draft legal or not. I really don't get your gripe with the whole thing. All it does is devalue a defunct competition, and should raise the profile of the (somewhat) meaningful championship races.

• Advertisement

Nope, you'll have the 22-23 minute uber bikes who will drag others back to the first back swimmers.

I disagree......the top swimmers..o brien,mintern,thornton,sexton,bolger will not be caught on the bike unless BMC is planning on doing a few races and its been a long time since he swam 22-23 mins

BTH wrote: »
    In a championship race that would more or less be the case whether it's draft legal or not. I really don't get your gripe with the whole thing. All it does is devalue a defunct competition, and should raise the profile of the (somewhat) meaningful championship races.

My only gripe is i love competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Whether you think it's a joke or not Peter, I can assure you some people do care about the NS. Whatever level these people are at and whether they're misguided or not, doesn't matter. TI had a chance to improve the NS and they haven't. They've made it worse, that's my point. The super series should see meaningful races. Why couldn't the same have been done for the NS. People who complained they had to travel the length and breadth of the country to do a NS race shouldn't have been listened to. Have a much smaller number of races evenly spread out over the whole country. Then everybody at some point will have to travel. If you want to complete the NS, you then do all the races, simple as that. If people had issues entering races, TI should have deal with that. There was no need to solve the problem by granting a huge number of races around the country NS status.

and all those guys are pretty good non drafting so it will not change that much
    but since ti has decided not to officiate races
    drafting seems to me a fairaer decision than non drafting without draft marshalls .

There was no need to solve the problem by granting a huge number of races around the country NS status.

Its not a Bad thing having more NS races around the Country somepeople don't have cars or have families and that they cant afford to Travel the Lenght of the Country to do a NS..

300 out of 9500 members speaks clearly that thats less than 4 %
    they listend to people and reduced races and they dodnt have to travel as much.
    so they have not made it worse for 96% of athletes
    Whether you think it's a joke or not Peter, I can assure you some people do care about the NS. Whatever level these people are at and whether they're misguided or not, doesn't matter. TI had a chance to improve the NS and they haven't. They've made it worse, that's my point. The super series should see meaningful races. Why couldn't the same have been done for the NS. People who complained they had to travel the length and breadth of the country to do a NS race shouldn't have been listened to. Have a much smaller number of races evenly spread out over the whole country. Then everybody at some point will have to travel. If you want to complete the NS, you then do all the races, simple as that. If people had issues entering races, TI should have deal with that. There was no need to solve the problem by granting a huge number of races around the country NS status.

For some reason* I dislike agreeing with you wholeheartedly, but here I do.

*Could be the whole power meter versus dream catcher thingy :)

Its not a Bad thing having more NS races around the Country somepeople don't have cars or have families and that they cant afford to Travel the Lenght of the Country to do a NS..

Some people can't afford bikes or wetsuits, what about them? It might seem harsh, but if you can't afford to do something, don't do it.

Imagine the Dublin Senior Football club league.
    Now merge that with the Kerry and Mayo ones.
    Through in Cork too.

Now lets pick a winner based on who gets the most points but crucially never have them play teams from other counties.

Some people can't afford bikes or wetsuits, what about them? It might seem harsh, but if you can't afford to do something, don't do it.

Fine but look at what they are doing they are after Creating a Super Series for CAT 1 Athletes which will force them to race each other more often,

Do away with the NC and just have a CAT 1 Race and a NS race for Age Groupers

• Advertisement

They could have done a 6 race Series with Divisions
    Division 1, 2 , 3, 4.
    Rotate the races each year. Top athletes get promoted from each division each year...bottom athletes get demoted.
    Fairer system. Problems solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out in 2015, TI to be fair have shaken things right up and IMO should be applauded. There'll definitely be things to iron out, but probably not what we're anticipating will/won't work.

As for the NS, it's just a convenient 2nd tier rather than having Cat 1 and nothing else. Winning anything in NS will be a bit like winning the Championship in England, nice but anyone who has any clue knows the real competition is in the Premiership.

Has anyone else wondered why Athlone Middle Distance gets NC in 2015 - has this race ever actually be run (I'm thinking it's triAthlone but they've only run sprint/olympic)? No doubt it'll be well organised but I thought races had to prove themselves at least once to get NC?

They could have done a 6 race Series with Divisions
    Division 1, 2 , 3, 4.
    Rotate the races each year. Top athletes get promoted from each division each year...bottom athletes get demoted.
    Fairer system. Problems solved.[/QUOT

yeah that will work well for donegal and kerry .....
    its just not realistic ( yet ) if ther is 30 000 members than maybe

speedyj wrote: »

Has anyone else wondered why Athlone Middle Distance gets NC in 2015 - has this race ever actually be run (I'm thinking it's triAthlone but they've only run sprint/olympic)? No doubt it'll be well organised but I thought races had to prove themselves at least once to get NC?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

U could not have a more less appealing half IM than above other than Dublin 70.3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out in 2015, TI to be fair have shaken things right up and IMO should be applauded. There'll definitely be things to iron out, but probably not what we're anticipating will/won't work.

As for the NS, it's just a convenient 2nd tier rather than having Cat 1 and nothing else. Winning anything in NS will be a bit like winning the Championship in England, nice but anyone who has any clue knows the real competition is in the Premiership.

Its been called Shadowman and been going for at least 2 years

peter kern wrote: »
    300 out of 9500 members speaks clearly that thats less than 4 %
    they listend to people and reduced races and they dodnt have to travel as much.
    so they have not made it worse for 96% of athletes

So you'll be judging it a success next year when upwards of probably 50% of TI members will have completed their 4 races? That and your statistic aren't relevant to the argument I'm trying to make. Hell with the number of NS races on the calendar, I might even complete the quota of races next year without even trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

EC1000 wrote: »
    Its been called Shadowman and been going for at least 2 years

Ok that makes sense. I was aware of Shadowman, but that was until now a different race to triAthlone and run in August (as you all know).

so anyway what do we have now

we have fast (for ireland) people that have to races each other ( and many will still get beaten by 45 year olds guys )

we have cat 2 people that fight for nat sereis win if they dodnt like it they can train harder to get promoted.

and we have the rest that really does triathlon for the banter or needs a few years to get good to race triathlons close to them where they get a rough idea how do their stand at a national level. ( and lets be far the old system was not good but it was not that far off either for a fun league )

• Advertisement

Fine but look at what they are doing they are after Creating a Super Series for CAT 1 Athletes which will force them to race each other more often,

Do away with the NC and just have a CAT 1 Race and a NS race for Age Groupers

I don't see any need to do away with the National Championships.

They have created a 'national' series for age groupers, the only thing about it, is it's not going to be national. It'll be regional at best. The best age group athletes in the country might top the rankings at the end of the year, but there's no guarantee that they will.

Advertisement