Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 TI Race Calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

speedyj wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out in 2015, TI to be fair have shaken things right up and IMO should be applauded. There'll definitely be things to iron out, but probably not what we're anticipating will/won't work.

As for the NS, it's just a convenient 2nd tier rather than having Cat 1 and nothing else. Winning anything in NS will be a bit like winning the Championship in England, nice but anyone who has any clue knows the real competition is in the Premiership.

Has anyone else wondered why Athlone Middle Distance gets NC in 2015 - has this race ever actually be run (I'm thinking it's triAthlone but they've only run sprint/olympic)? No doubt it'll be well organised but I thought races had to prove themselves at least once to get NC?
    Ok that makes sense. I was aware of Shadowman, but that was until now a different race to triAthlone and run in August (as you all know).
    +1 shadowman might not be a bad call but please not let it be a half im in athlone town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

zico10 wrote: »
    So you'll be judging it a success next year when upwards of probably 50% of TI members will have completed their 4 races? That and your statistic aren't relevant to the argument I'm trying to make. Hell with the number of NS races on the calendar, I might even complete the quota of races next year without even trying.

i dodnt know what arguement you make the competetive people now have to race each other ( thats what you want)
    other the rest are fun atheltes you try yo make competetive when they dont care about it. so whay do you wnat to force them to do something they dont want to do
    so the competeive peole got what they want and the fun athetes get what they want and yes maybe 150 lose out but for really competetive and fun atheltes things got better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

peter kern wrote: »
    so anyway what do we have now

we have fast (for ireland) people that have to races each other ( and many will still get beaten by 45 year olds guys )

we have cat 2 people that fight for nat sereis win if they dodnt like it they can train harder to get promoted.

and we have the rest that really does triathlon for the banter or needs a few years to get good to race triathlons close to them where they get a rough idea how do their stand at a national level. ( and lets be far the old system was not good but it was not that far off either for a fun league )

Or else carefully plan your races and qualify ahead of more able athletes. I don't know how the athletes were chosen for the super series next year, but I imagine this year's (and previous) national series rankings had some bearing on it. The way the NS is structured for next year, the best athletes might no be the ones who get promoted. Division 1 2016 will be weaker as a result.
    i dodnt know what arguement you make the competetive people now have to race each other ( thats what you want)
    other the rest are fun atheltes you try yo make competetive when they dont care about it. so whay do you wnat to force them to do something they dont want to do
    so the competeive peole got what they want and the fun athetes get what they want and yes maybe 150 lose out but for really competetive and fun atheltes things got better

Above is my argument. I think the super series is a GREAT idea. The new NS is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

NS has clearly been diluted by having more races and only four count for NS points - reduces competition. Also, why not stipulate two sprint/two olympic or longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

so anyway what do we have now

we have fast (for ireland) people that have to races each other ( and many will still get beaten by 45 year olds guys )

we have cat 2 people that fight for nat sereis win if they dodnt like it they can train harder to get promoted.

and we have the rest that really does triathlon for the banter or needs a few years to get good to race triathlons close to them where they get a rough idea how do their stand at a national level. ( and lets be far the old system was not good but it was not that far off either for a fun league )

If nothing else it reintroduces an element of racing to aspire to better things.

• Advertisement

and here is the problem you are taking aobut something when you dodnt even know the slection prosess would you mind reading it and then come back to us.
    Or else carefully plan your races and qualify ahead of more able athletes. I don't know how the athletes were chosen for the super series next year, but I imagine this year's (and previous) national series rankings had some bearing on it. The way the NS is structured for next year, the best athletes might no be the ones who get promoted. Division 1 2016 will be weaker as a result.

Above is my argument. I think the super series is a GREAT idea. The new NS is not!

I don't see any need to do away with the National Championships.

They have created a 'national' series for age groupers, the only thing about it, is it's not going to be national. It'll be regional at best. The best age group athletes in the country might top the rankings at the end of the year, but there's no guarantee that they will.

the best age grouper will be racing cat 1 ...
    there might be 5 pros in it but its an age group categorry

and here is the problem you are taking aobut something when you dodnt even know the slection prosess would you mind reading it and then come back to us.

Post the link, bitte.

Don't worry about sharing the link Peter, I found it myself. I had a look and it would appear I was right. Top 20 males and top 10 females in the National Series from both 2013 and 2014 qualify. Then any male who finished top 8 in any 2014 NS race, top 3 for female, also qualify. It was also possible to qualify from last year's Championship races, but these were all part of the National Series anyway. There might be some exceptions, but I'd be pretty certain the vast, vast majority of people who made the cut, made it based on performances in the NS races. At the time I posted, no I didn't know* what the selection process was, but it was reasonable to assume it was based on the NS. I don't see how it could have been any other way.

And yes, I know the super series is an age group competition and I can see the potential it has. Nowhere in this thread have I said otherwise. I'm saying with the new structure, the NS, outside of the super series, has been devalued. Do you agree with this or not? Because you're arguing points I'm not making.

And back to the first point I made about the standard of promoted athlete that will qualify for the 2016 super series. Dare I say the qualifying standards for next year weren't all that high? My understanding of things is that there are about 100 males who are 'mandatory category 1' athletes, 50 females. I don't know whether there's an opt out, but TI shouldn't use the word 'mandatory' if there is. I find it hard to believe all 150 athletes will end up in the super series, but a significant number of faster guys and gals will be taken out of the NS proper. This is going to lower the overall standard. And if the criterion of top 8/3 in any NS race is still in place next year, with a far greater number of races on the calendar (races I think that won't have big numbers), it's going to even easier qualify in 12 months time. And I don't see how that will help develop the juniors or the sport.

*As an aside do you know what you're talking about?

to answer your question i know enough that i know that what you write is still not correct.
    you still leave 2 points out of the selection process.
    your link dosnt work on my computer so iam not sure if the link you are using is an old one ( bad enough ) or you chose toignore facts (even worse)
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=2035

but what you write is still not correct ...

and the slection process is not finihsed yet ....

if you go on TI website the last article they posted .you see that people can apply to race cat 1 if they can show 3 times bellow a min requirement ( off my head this is 1.05 for sprint and 2.09 oly for males and 1.14 2.26 for a females )

and there is also one category called execptional circumstances no idea what that is but i guess if you say you where a pro cyclist that can swim (and prove that with results) they will let you in even if you have never done a tri.
    so really if you cant get in with those times than i hope we agree that you are not cat 1 material .
    but i can t see how you can claim that some that are good enough cant race cat 1 next year or why there is an indication that the field will be weaker in 2016 .
    so really anybody who is decent can race cat 1
    it might be cooler to be selcted than having to apply but i dont think anybody cares aobut that

as for nat series

OVERALL it will be more competeive
    it makes it an easier league to participate in for those atheltes the Ns was designed for ,so for me the nat sereis serves its purpose now better.

most people on boards agree that the Nat series was a joke and to losely use tunneys words it was never meant to be a competetive league .it was designed as a banter for dave and hugh .
    it was never competive if only 300 people finsh it .unless you think getting 80 point per races for 6 races is more competitive than my 117 points average for 4 races ....
    your are right there will be more races to cherry pic from but this was always the case in the nat series.
    HOWEVER there will be more people finishing so it will be more competetive ...
    if you have 5000 people fighting for places as you suggested than this will make it much harder to come 5 th in your age group than if you have 300 people overall finsihng a sereis

i think ther is more than 25 age gorups so an average of 12 athletes per age group is not really competive

so looking at it at the whole there was always many faster atheltes that never got the 6 races done as they do ironman or whatever so there will be in the competition now an d id argue this makes it more compteive nat overall as the guy with 80 points per will not be 12 th in his age group anymore as there are many better people that just never did 6 races .

it likely be a bit less accurate than beofre but roughly it will still be right and i dont think is i sth eend of the worlds if you finsh 234o th but are in reallity no 2325 th as you got beaten by 5 cheery picker.
    but it will defo mean more to sayit you came 1oth in your age group as its likely there will be more than 10 people in you agr group now if oyu are bellow the age of 60 . ( i hope you are not going to make the aruement now that the Ns cant be really competive with the better atheltes racing in cat 1 and therefore is less competeive as you arguee ,,,please dont if you have a valid point please bring it up but dodnt argue for the sake of arguing please)

ps i agree that maybe in the future one can consider to have a leinster munster etc league but then people will again complain they have not enough races to chose from to participate in this one . but that was a good point made in thris thread so far to consider.

cheers
    ps does it really matter if you are 150 th athlete and race cat 1 or nat sereis .
    i don thinkso (this is the nitpicking i talked aobut im my mind)
    and iam sure there will be some pri.ks that thing its specail to be cat 1 but most will know where they are ( and if not they will know when they get laped in dublin) . but I am sure you will see fields will not be to big in cat 1 and let them races cat one if the want and fill the criteria ti set .

Don't worry about sharing the link Peter, I found it myself. I had a look and it would appear I was right. Top 20 males and top 10 females in the National Series from both 2013 and 2014 qualify. Then any male who finished top 8 in any 2014 NS race, top 3 for female, also qualify. It was also possible to qualify from last year's Championship races, but these were all part of the National Series anyway. There might be some exceptions, but I'd be pretty certain the vast, vast majority of people who made the cut, made it based on performances in the NS races. At the time I posted, no I didn't know* what the selection process was, but it was reasonable to assume it was based on the NS. I don't see how it could have been any other way.

And yes, I know the super series is an age group competition and I can see the potential it has. Nowhere in this thread have I said otherwise. I'm saying with the new structure, the NS, outside of the super series, has been devalued. Do you agree with this or not? Because you're arguing points I'm not making.

And back to the first point I made about the standard of promoted athlete that will qualify for the 2016 super series. Dare I say the qualifying standards for next year weren't all that high? My understanding of things is that there are about 100 males who are 'mandatory category 1' athletes, 50 females. I don't know whether there's an opt out, but TI shouldn't use the word 'mandatory' if there is. I find it hard to believe all 150 athletes will end up in the super series, but a significant number of faster guys and gals will be taken out of the NS proper. This is going to lower the overall standard. And if the criterion of top 8/3 in any NS race is still in place next year, with a far greater number of races on the calendar (races I think that won't have big numbers), it's going to even easier qualify in 12 months time. And I don't see how that will help develop the juniors or the sport.

*As an aside do you know what you're talking about?[/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

good point. it will make the number completing the NS much higher, and make it almost transparent for people to do 4 races, 4 i was looking at anyway are NS so i'll probably end up doing the NS unintentionally without giving 2 shi&ts about it

bad point. most likely going to end up with a top 3 who have never faced each other in a single race. at the same time, 2nd and 3rd best racer in the country may end up way down the table cause the number 1 in the country is at all his local races, while lesser racers are winning races in other provinces.

pluses and minuses. tough to get it right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

mossym wrote: »
    tough to get it right

That's the key point. There's no exact way of deciding who is the "best" athlete from four races (of different lengths, entrants, conditions etc.), unless those four races are the same four races. Having the créme race their best 4 of 6 is a step in the right direction. For the majority of us, the NS will remain a highly arbitrary yardstick to measure one's performance against another. Peter's analogy of a pub discussion is an apt metaphor. Something that can't be scientifically quantified has been diluted- no big deal one way or the other.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Having the créme race their best 4 of 6 is a step in the right direction.

can't agree with that. the new arrangement is a step in the right direction in getting more people doing the NS.

for the creme though(not including the SS/Cat1), it's really no different to what it was from last year, in fact more races means it's probably worse.

make the two NC races compulsory, then allow one other oly and one other sprint to count. still not 100% fair,but at least the creme face off a couple of times.

would have made a couple of the ns races have a flavour of the SS then as well, good for those moving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The National Series, in this guise and the former, is like picking Miss Ireland from a Weight Watchers meeting held in the Red Cow Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    The National Series, in this guise and the former, is like picking Miss Ireland from a Weight Watchers meeting held in the Red Cow Hotel.

Spill the beans. Tell the truth now, is that where you lost the pounds? ; )

tunney wrote: »

So wrong yet so right

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Unlike a lot of the ITU racing I'd say there will be a lot of Cat1 athletes refusing to take their turn at the front of the pack on the draft legal bike leg.

Still can't wait to see how it all turns out..

It becomes a strategy game and there is many people that don't do work in itu more than half the field usually. There will be many splintered packs anyway and if the lead pack dosnt work they will be playing in the hands of the cyclists
    What I think is it would be great to have a test event before the nat champs. Something where people can get used to it and each other when nothing is at stake
    shansey wrote: »
    Unlike a lot goodof the ITU racing I'd say there will be a lot of Cat1 athletes refusing to take their turn at the front of the pack on the draft legal bike leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

shansey wrote: »
    Unlike a lot of the ITU racing I'd say there will be a lot of Cat1 athletes refusing to take their turn at the front of the pack on the draft legal bike leg.

Are the Cat 1 races draft legal??? From what I have read it will only be the National Champ races 1 sprint and 1 olympic that will be draft legal.

Yes only nats draft legal and I think that's why it would be good to have a test event before to try it out .
    DaveR1 wrote: »
    Are the Cat 1 races draft legal??? From what I have read it will only be the National Champ races 1 sprint and 1 olympic that will be draft legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Any one know when we should see the Full Calendar on display so far they are only showing us the NS races and 8 local races,

i need to start budgeting for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

It all makes sense from a business point of view. Cat 1 will be much more exciting for spectators and generate a good atmosphere around the events. One lad blitzing a field isn't much of a seller. More exciting = more spectators = more revenue/ more members.

Cat 2/NS will give guys who never had a chance something realistic to aim for, even if it is meaningless. Again might draw or retain members to TI.

Makes sense to me.

I'm going to try this one more time Peter and then I'm done with this thread.
    to answer your question i know enough that i know that what you write is still not correct.
    you still leave 2 points out of the selection process.
    your link dosnt work on my computer so iam not sure if the link you are using is an old one ( bad enough ) or you chose toignore facts (even worse)
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=2035

Or another option, I made a mistake when I posted the link. Lord knows you make enough of them when posting. Then instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt, you come out with the two accusations above. The link I tried to post was the exact same one you have supplied yourself.
    I'm going to assume you looked at the link and you must know everything about the selection process for category 1, if you're coming on here making such authoritative claims on the matter. With that being the case, can you explain the following table to me?

2dm9jxf.jpg

It's taken straight from the link you provided. And below this table there is a list of 93 'mandatory' category 1 athletes! Both you and I are on the list, can you explain that to me? The only way I can see how this is happened is we met some of the criteria set out in the above table.
    You accuse me of ignoring facts.:rolleyes:
    but what you write is still not correct ...

and the slection process is not finihsed yet ....

if you go on TI website the last article they posted .you see that people can apply to race cat 1 if they can show 3 times bellow a min requirement ( off my head this is 1.05 for sprint and 2.09 oly for males and 1.14 2.26 for a females )

and there is also one category called execptional circumstances no idea what that is but i guess if you say you where a pro cyclist that can swim (and prove that with results) they will let you in even if you have never done a tri.
    so really if you cant get in with those times than i hope we agree that you are not cat 1 material .
    but i can t see how you can claim that some that are good enough cant race cat 1 next year or why there is an indication that the field will be weaker in 2016 .
    so really anybody who is decent can race cat 1
    it might be cooler to be selcted than having to apply but i dont think anybody cares aobut that

Yes I know people can apply for the series if they have bettered the times you quote. And my understanding of the 'exceptional circumstances' is the same as yours. I never denied or argued this. But however many people successfully apply based on times, or however many athletes are deemed exceptional enough to be worthy of category 1 status, it is not going to change the fact that the majority of category 1 athletes next year (i.e. virtually all 93 athletes on the list you seem to be ignoring) are going to be drawn from results in the NS over the last two years. If the criteria TI use for 2016's super series is the same as they used for next year, then the standard will almost certainly be lower. I've talked a good few people in the real world about this, and you're the only person who doesn't see my point.
    as for nat series

OVERALL it will be more competeive
    it makes it an easier league to participate in for those atheltes the Ns was designed for ,so for me the nat sereis serves its purpose now better.

most people on boards agree that the Nat series was a joke and to losely use tunneys words it was never meant to be a competetive league .it was designed as a banter for dave and hugh .
    it was never competive if only 300 people finsh it .unless you think getting 80 point per races for 6 races is more competitive than my 117 points average for 4 races ....
    your are right there will be more races to cherry pic from but this was always the case in the nat series.
    HOWEVER there will be more people finishing so it will be more competetive ...
    if you have 5000 people fighting for places as you suggested than this will make it much harder to come 5 th in your age group than if you have 300 people overall finsihng a sereis

i think ther is more than 25 age gorups so an average of 12 athletes per age group is not really competive

so looking at it at the whole there was always many faster atheltes that never got the 6 races done as they do ironman or whatever so there will be in the competition now an d id argue this makes it more compteive nat overall as the guy with 80 points per will not be 12 th in his age group anymore as there are many better people that just never did 6 races .

it likely be a bit less accurate than beofre but roughly it will still be right and i dont think is i sth eend of the worlds if you finsh 234o th but are in reallity no 2325 th as you got beaten by 5 cheery picker.
    but it will defo mean more to sayit you came 1oth in your age group as its likely there will be more than 10 people in you agr group now if oyu are bellow the age of 60 . ( i hope you are not going to make the aruement now that the Ns cant be really competive with the better atheltes racing in cat 1 and therefore is less competeive as you arguee ,,,please dont if you have a valid point please bring it up but dodnt argue for the sake of arguing please)

Oh the irony!

I thought the NS was a joke because the athletes seldom if ever had to face each other, (next year this is even more likely) not because such a small percentage of TI members had completed it. TI need to incentivise people to race the NS. They're not doing that, people will just complete it by default.

Expanding the number of possible races that you can score points in will undoubtedly increase the number of people who complete the series, but it doesn't make it anymore successful in my eyes. By your definition of success TI could have stipulated one only needs to do two races to complete the series, and they would have been even more successful still.

pretty much echoes my thoughts as well zico, agree with pretty much everything you've said.

i guess it comes down to the key success factors for the NS. is it simply to increase the number of people competing in tri, (or convince to do more than one race), or is it to provide a competition which provides a realistic way of ranking AG competitors in ireland, or a mixture of both. depending on how you view the KSF's, you view of the changes would be widely different

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

mossym wrote: »
    or is it to provide a competition which provides a realistic way of ranking AG competitors in ireland

IMO that's what Cat 1 is about. Sure NS might achieve ranking somewhat but it's a ranking outside the top group and as people have pointed out there are so many races that people may top it that haven't raced each other. That's fine by me as Cat 1 does have the contenders face each other. For the masses outside of Cat 1 surely it's better to have local races so people can race/enjoy it more? NS could have been made a subset like Cat 1 but we've had that already.

w.r.t being promoted to/leaving Cat 1, I don't see any system working that well without it being tried out and refined over a few years. Going to be a case of suck it and see..

Overall what I see is you don't seem to distinguish that nat series was never above performance
    And this now taken up by the super series so why would we worry as there will be more athletes in the cat one than there is athletes that are really performance so if you can't make it cat 1 you are very fat do really performance ( I mean my kilkee was not the minimum standard I would see as performance or it it was just about so what I say all and I mean all the people that are close to what I think is cat 1 level will get in. And the nat series has a great purpose for improving athletes and so to make more people to participate is a great thing .
    So cat 1 is performance ns is for people to have a friendly and performance positive environment but it's not performance given the fact that all the performance people race car 1 and if they have a bit of a case they will get in so . It's much better to make ns more widely available .
    You seem to focus on ns being the same as super series when it serves another purpose.
    And again if I did not want to race cat one than I ap

Or another option, I made a mistake when I posted the link. Lord knows you make enough of them when posting. Then instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt, you come out with the two accusations above. The link I tried to post was the exact same one you have supplied yourself.
    I'm going to assume you looked at the link and you must know everything about the selection process for category 1, if you're coming on here making such authoritative claims on the matter. With that being the case, can you explain the following table to me?

2dm9jxf.jpg

It's taken straight from the link you provided. And below this table there is a list of 93 'mandatory' category 1 athletes! Both you and I are on the list, can you explain that to me? The only way I can see how this is happened is we met some of the criteria set out in the above table.

Yes I know people can apply for the series if they have bettered the times you quote. And my understanding of the 'exceptional circumstances' is the same as yours. I never denied or argued this. But however many people successfully apply based on times, or however many athletes are deemed exceptional enough to be worthy of category 1 status, it is not going to change the fact that the majority of category 1 athletes next year (i.e. virtually all 93 athletes on the list you seem to be ignoring) are going to be drawn from results in the NS over the last two years. If the criteria TI use for 2016's super series is the same as they used for next year, then the standard will almost certainly be lower. I've talked a good few people in the real world about this, and you're the only person who doesn't see my point.

Oh the irony!

I thought the NS was a joke because the athletes seldom if ever had to face each other, (next year this is even more likely) not because such a small percentage of TI members had completed it. TI need to incentivise people to race the NS. They're not doing that, people will just complete it by default.

Expanding the number of possible races that you can score points in will undoubtedly increase the number of people who complete the series, but it doesn't make it anymore successful in my eyes. By your definition of success TI could have stipulated one only needs to do two races to complete the series, and they would have been even more successful still.

Overall what I see is you don't seem to distinguish that nat series was never above performance
    And this now taken up by the super series so why would we worry as there will be more athletes in the cat one than there is athletes that are really performance so if you can't make it cat 1 you are very far from performance ( I mean my kilkee was not the minimum standard I would see as performance or it it was just about so what I say all and I mean all the people that are close to what I think is cat 1 level will get in. And the nat series has a great purpose for improving athletes and so to make more people to participate is a great thing .
    So cat 1 is performance ns is for people to have a friendly and performance positive environment but it's not performance given the fact that all the performance people race car 1 and if they have a bit of a case they will get in so . It's much better to make ns more widely available .
    You seem to focus on ns being the same as super series when it serves another purpose.
    And again if I did not want to race cat one than I get a British license or use one day license so mandatory does not interest me
    ap

2dm9jxf.jpg

Oh the irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm curious guys....what will you write in your Christmas cards to each other this year? :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I'm curious guys....what will you write in your Christmas cards to each other this year? :)

From peter with love

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

From peter with love

So that's what you were writing at poolside this morning.

• Advertisement

IMO that's what Cat 1 is about. Sure NS might achieve ranking somewhat but it's a ranking outside the top group and as people have pointed out there are so many races that people may top it that haven't raced each other. That's fine by me as Cat 1 does have the contenders face each other. For the masses outside of Cat 1 surely it's better to have local races so people can race/enjoy it more? NS could have been made a subset like Cat 1 but we've had that already.

fair enough, call a pig a pig then and just leave it an arbitrary ranking and don't declare a winner/2nd/3rd from it. placings don;t matter and it's just about getting more people to do more races.

except then TI need to figure out who to promote to cat1 the following season based on something...

Advertisement