Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs on treadmill?

• 09-12-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    what do you think of dogs on treadmills?

I've read different articles and someone is suggesting it.

I am looking for an excuse to buy a treadmill for myself :D but knowing I could end up being bored and not using it I want to add another reason: Jago!

Of course that would never be a substitute to walks, play and run in the park and playing fetch at home.
    Just maybe if he doesn't hate it too much another way to burn a bit of his energy?

I am not sure, not even 40% sure, as I know I will get bored I think Jago would be even more bored than me!

Anybody ever tried?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Works for sporting dogs dont see why couldn't use it on your own dog, just make sure its safe etc. Youtube it. Nice list of videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Yep I have seen videos.
    Of course I will introduce him slowly, not tie him, be there, etc...
    just I am not sure if it's something he could "enjoy" or hate.

For enjoy I mean something similar to a person that ok it's suffering to do exercise but at the end got something nice after it..

(I know, I am considering him as a person and he is a dog, but I think you understand what I mean)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Human treadmills aren't usually long enough for dogs, you need a longer one to take account of their four legged stride. There is actually a second hand dog one for sale in Northern Ireland at the moment for £350 that I've seen advertised, but that wouldn't be suitable for you to also use.

aaah :(
    so no second excuse :)

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

We have 3 dog treadmill for the greyhounds. One loves it and would stay on it all day but im not sure if thats cos she can watch tv! Other two are fine on it but it took them a while to get used to it. I've brought Nala out to see if she would go on it but she freaked when i turned it on without her on it so its not for every dog!
    We dont use it in summer its more for when the weather is bad. A person could go on it but probably not long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

You don't need to buy yourself a thread mill! You have a dog - he'll walk anywhere with you! See we just saved you loads of money!

:D:D

I knooow I walk with them a lot and I also run..
    but I would like to keep the running a bit more consistent and if I go out with very cold and dark I get sick :(:(
    that's why I was thinking to a treadmill..
    but yeah, you're right... better the fresh air!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

the thoughts of going out in the cold and dark makes me sick - I have no legitimate excuse other than being lazy.
    But my dog is currently under house arrest/restricted movement and I kinda missed out morning walk this morning.

Good luck with the running

Advertisement