Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Vancouver, visas and advice

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm thinking of moving to Canada next year few friends of mine went in September and love the place and wouldn't mind getting out of Ireland, just wondering does anyone know when Canadian visas will be out and the process to get them and price, also anyone lived in vancouver before just looking for some general info on price of rent, and is it easy to get a job, cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

flynn2426 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of moving to Canada next year few friends of mine went in September and love the place and wouldn't mind getting out of Ireland, just wondering does anyone know when Canadian visas will be out and the process to get them and price, also anyone lived in vancouver before just looking for some general info on price of rent, and is it easy to get a job, cheers guys

I have no idea about visas as i didnt need one, however you need to read the stickys at the top of the fourm page they have lots and lots of info... :)

other than that I would recommend looking on facebook for the likes of "Irish living in Vancouver" "Vibe Vancouver" etc they have lots of stuff based on jobs,events and visas...

accomodation I found padmapper.ca to be really helpful just to see whats available in different price brackets. It all depends where you want to stay.. The east side is generally less expensive than the West... though I currently live on the West for personal resons. It also depends what you want - sharing, basement suite, apartment etc... the prices will vary greatly depending on what you want .

I would advise looking at whats in the area. like what supermarkets are close (you dont want to have to lug groceries for miles )and how the transport is ... I find I'm shopping in safeway a lot and london drugs as they have good offers each week... (yes i sit down woth the flyer every week and decide what i want before i go and get it though that may only be me :P ) In Vancouver itself my public transport experience has been fantastic... busses are easy to navigate and being close to a sky train is an extra positive.. Google maps will give you good ways to get places and it's pretty accurate though you will find as you get to know the place you'll find better shortcuts....

wrt jobs, I've been here 4 weeks but I've only looked at jobs specific to my degree and no luck .. I'm mainly focused on catching up with old friends and family and generally enjoying myself until after Xmas.. but I've found a number of jobs sites that are very easy to navigate and from talkong to others if you dont mind what you do you'll get into something :)

Other than that I would say Van is great but I'm a little biased :P though go through the fourm here therr are a number of stickied posts and there are even more fourms down the page thay will answer loads of questions .. anything else gimmie a shout I'll try to help if I can... and good luck!

Advertisement