Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2014 EDITION

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

tinner777 wrote: »
    Jesus 40 gb on my 2meg Bb could take until Easter. I don't suppose theres anywhere i could trade the code for a normal copy???

Doubt it to be honest.

Best bet would be to bring it around to a friends house with good broadband and set it up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

How long will the Xbox One out of the box update take on average ..Im only on 3mb BB aswell. Setting it up before the big day is not really an option so what would the worse case scenario be time wise. Also how many accounts etc can be used on the box. Will i need to setup accounts ,usernames etc before i can update or can my son setup his own xbox username account after..Thks..

• tinner777 wrote: »
    hi,

couple of quick questions so i don't get caught out like last year. Wii u update :mad::mad:

Can you play the xbox1 straight out of the box, especially halo? I have a code for forrza, how big is the download?

Thanks lads

The halo update is massive I'm afraid. It's 20+ GB.

However you can play the single player while it's downloading.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hey Folks,

There's been a number of threads created by posters who have just bought an Xbox 360/Xbox One, all of which are asking roughly the same questions. Everyone has been incredibly helpful with these questions, such that most of these threads die off pretty quick, so fair play to all involved!

Some of these threads continue on, though, becoming a new kind of all questions answered thread, so rather than have these threads taking up so much of the first page, we're going to combine them into one megathread that will contain all of them.

We think that this is just a Christmas thing, what with people buying consoles for the first time, having no idea on what to buy/how to set it up.

However, as these types of large threads can be intimidating for people, particularly people who are looking for info, the way it's going to work is this:
    1. Newbie posts new thread
    2. Xbox Sages on the Xbox Forum answer the questions in that thread
    3. After a couple of days, the thread is merged into this one
    4. Profit*
    *May not be any profit.

To everyone coming here for the first time, welcome! We hope that everyone here can help you. As a starting point, have a quick read of our FAQ, your question might already be answered there.

CatInABox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Great idea for a thread.
    So quick question maybe.

Family member got a 360 for his son and has created the parent / child account there.
    All good. But today with the live outage some issues arose, which at first I thought were due to Live but now I'm not so sure.

Basically kid was trying to play some games that gave permissions errors relating to Live.
    They don't have Gold membership and Xbox support advise that for some games Gold is mandatory - eg Plants vs Zombies.

Seemingly unlike the 1 - if the father wants to play online as well he'll now need 2 Gold subs? Is this correct really?
    Any other work arounds?
    Kid is quite young so he's prefer to keep the gaming of the adult games separate from the childs account.

Any suggestions I can go back with to help them out?
    Is the only option to get Gold? And if so which account should it be linked to? Kid will play the most - but know the father would like to play Halo and similar online...

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread.
    So quick question maybe.

Family member got a 360 for his son and has created the parent / child account there.
    All good. But today with the live outage some issues arose, which at first I thought were due to Live but now I'm not so sure.

Basically kid was trying to play some games that gave permissions errors relating to Live.
    They don't have Gold membership and Xbox support advise that for some games Gold is mandatory - eg Plants vs Zombies.

Seemingly unlike the 1 - if the father wants to play online as well he'll now need 2 Gold subs? Is this correct really?
    Any other work arounds?
    Kid is quite young so he's prefer to keep the gaming of the adult games separate from the childs account.

Any suggestions I can go back with to help them out?
    Is the only option to get Gold? And if so which account should it be linked to? Kid will play the most - but know the father would like to play Halo and similar online...

I love the quick question maybe part. I thought it would be a quick answer too, but after ten minutes of scrolling through random Xbox support forum posts, I decided to halt research!

If they want to continue with a separate child account, then yes, they'll need a second Gold subscription. There was a "Gold Family" pack at one stage, but that's gone now.

They could both game on the parent account, but this would require setting up parental controls on both consoles, and then having to turn it off each time the parent wants to play. It's certainly the cheapest option anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Hi. I was in contact with Xbox Support through twitter and they sent me this link http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool to try and help with the problem of downloading the large OS Update on Xmas morning.It looks like u could download the update to your pc and transfer to USB and then load it on Xbox.
    This way i can download the update beforehand on my laptop on the QT and hopefully complete the update while son is at school fairly quickly. Otherwise the Xbox Live update could take 24 hours to download with my slow BB.I havent tried this myself yet but will hopefully get a window early next week and i will report back here how i get on.
    If anyone else tries or has used this method they might post here..All help will be gratefully accepted..Thks..Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

can you download games to USB similar to above on a PC?
    internet is capped at 40 GB a month so would be ideal to be able to download games at work....

patq16 wrote: »
    Hi. I was in contact with Xbox Support through twitter and they sent me this link http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool to try and help with the problem of downloading the large OS Update on Xmas morning.It looks like u could download the update to your pc and transfer to USB and then load it on Xbox.
    This way i can download the update beforehand on my laptop on the QT and hopefully complete the update while son is at school fairly quickly. Otherwise the Xbox Live update could take 24 hours to download with my slow BB.I havent tried this myself yet but will hopefully get a window early next week and i will report back here how i get on.
    If anyone else tries or has used this method they might post here..All help will be gratefully accepted..Thks..Pat.

I have to admit, but I don't know the latest on this.

Back when I bought mine, there was talk about being able to use the USB to download the updates, but then it was clarified that you needed to update the Xbox One just to get to the point where you could even use the usb to update, so it was useless for the first one.

Not sure if it's changed since then, sorry.

Just checked that page you linked, and it has this:
    Important:

This process is designed for troubleshooting use only. If you are updating your system for the first time, you will still need to connect to the Xbox Live service.

km79 wrote: »
    can you download games to USB similar to above on a PC?
    internet is capped at 40 GB a month so would be ideal to be able to download games at work....

No, you can't use USB for the games, sorry.

There are a number of different ways to maybe cut down on the usage though.

If you are buying physical copies, disconnect from the internet, then insert the disk and install. then reconnect to download the updates. Probably won't save you anything really

If you are buying digital copies, try to rent a physical copy of the game or get a loan from a friend. Installing from that disk as above will save you a fair amount of bandwidth.

Bring your Xbox One around to a mates house with good broadband. Install everything from there.

Get a large USB3 drive and format it using your Xbox One. Bring it around to a friends house with an Xbox One and download from there onto your drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Another tip if your broadband is capped is to log in to your providers website, check your balance and then download the game on the day your billing rolls over - you can use up any amount remaining on the previous month that way. A real fiddly thing but it might save you a few bob.

Another tip if your broadband is capped is to log in to your providers website, check your balance and then download the game on the day your billing rolls over - you can use up any amount remaining on the previous month that way. A real fiddly thing but it might save you a few bob.

if a game takes 20 Gb though there is no point
    only have 40 Gb the entire month and generally only have a few GB left AND it would literally take 3 or 4 days :(
    installing game from disc is same as 360 right? no net needed /used?
    its a real shame this cos EA access looks really cool :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

if a game takes 20 Gb though there is no point
    only have 40 Gb the entire month and generally only have a few GB left AND it would literally take 3 or 4 days :(
    installing game from disc is same as 360 right? no net needed /used?
    its a real shame this cos EA access looks really cool :(

Yeah, installing a game from a disc uses no internet. It's recommended as stated above to disconnect your net from the Xbox whilst installing from disc. Just sometimes, it tries to download all the updates at the same time as installing from disc and slows it down a lot.

Then reconnect your net, start the game to then get the updates.

You don't know anyone who has an Xbox already with EA access games and such?

If you ever wanted, I know it would take a bit of trusting but if you got an external hard drive 256gb or larger and USB 3.0 you could post it to me and I'd happily copy the games you require over onto it and post it back to you. You'd just cover the cost of postage is all.

This applies to anyone who ever needs me to do this. Happy to help a boardsie out :)

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yeah, installing a game from a disc uses no internet. It's recommended as stated above to disconnect your net from the Xbox whilst installing from disc. Just sometimes, it tries to download all the updates at the same time as installing from disc and slows it down a lot.

Then reconnect your net, start the game to then get the updates.

You don't know anyone who has an Xbox already with EA access games and such?

If you ever wanted, I know it would take a bit of trusting but if you got an external hard drive 256gb or larger and USB 3.0 you could post it to me and I'd happily copy the games you require over onto it and post it back to you. You'd just cover the cost of postage is all.

This applies to anyone who ever needs me to do this. Happy to help a boardsie out :)

so it is possible to copy games onto a USB from ea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

so it is possible to copy games onto a USB from ea?

Not a USB flash stick. an external hard drive yes. 1 that's 256gb or larger and usb 3.0.

You would need to plug it into the xbox one, format for use with the xbox. You can then copy or move ANY xbox one game or app over to the external hard drive.

Note: You can't use the same hard drive for copying stuff from your PC whilst it's formatted for use with the Xbox.

Something like this: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1339361/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CHard%2Bdrives%252C%2BUSBs%2Band%2Bdata%2Bstorage%7C14419053/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419053%7CPortable%2Bhard%2Bdrives%7C14419054.htm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thx misky,

as you stated you can copy from the xb to an external hd,

but can you download the games say from EA and put them onto the HD connected to a pc and then connect to the xb ?

It would be easier than taking out the xmas pressie and trying to d-load each game at a time.
    Also - if you put games onto an ext-hd for joe-bloggs, how does xb authenticate them.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Thanks for this thread lads.
    So in the morning, when the kids are at school I:

- Set it up - go online.
    - Get a Gold subscription.

Anything else needed/recommended before Santa arrives??

Will I need to set up a new Xbox a/c?

Sicky wrote: »

- Set it up - go online.

I found it easier to start an Microsoft xbox account on a pc.
    There is a free 1 month Gold subscription, just make a note of when to cancel, then go online (links in boards) and get a cheaper deal for the year.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Zico-PES

- Set it up - go online.

Would be handy if you could install / download some games in advance if possible, some of them can take a few hours.

karltimber wrote: »
    Thx misky,

as you stated you can copy from the xb to an external hd,

but can you download the games say from EA and put them onto the HD connected to a pc and then connect to the xb ?

It would be easier than taking out the xmas pressie and trying to d-load each game at a time.
    Also - if you put games onto an ext-hd for joe-bloggs, how does xb authenticate them.

Thx

It's not possible to download from EA, or anyone else for that matter. It all has to go through Microsoft on an Xbox One.

As to authentication, basically if it's installed from disk, then the disk will need to be in the drive, regardless of where it is installed.

With digital copies, I'm assuming that your profile has a record of your purchases, so you'll either need to be logged into Xbox Live, or have the Xbox your using set as your home Xbox.

• Advertisement

- Set it up - go online.

If you've already got a Microsoft account from an Xbox 360, then you can just use that, otherwise, as karltimber says.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

- Set it up - go online.

Spend a few hours a day downloading the games from Ea Access, they are all 15GB+ so it could take ages

Just an fyi,
    got my xb1 from a Game deal on black friday.
    went to do updates etc last tuesday and it wouldn't power up. Google said different hdmi, plug into wall not surge protector etc etc. Got onto game who said no way would they get a new one to me before Xmas.
    Decided to drive to Lisburn and exchange it there in store. Got them to test it also (basic power up)
    Did update (500mb) on wed and dl'd Forza and working well.
    EA games next over the week.

Imagine that on 25th morning !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just an fyi,
    went to do updates etc last tuesday and it won't power up. Google said different hdmi, plug into wall not surge protector etc etc. Got onto game who said no way would they get a new one to me before Xmas.
    Decided to drive to Lisburn and exchange it there in store. Got them to test it also (basic power up)

Imaginer that on 25th morning !!!

Ouch !!!!!!!! yeah that drive to Lisburn would be worth it even if you had to go from dingle, to spare you the horror on Christmas morning !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just an fyi,
    went to do updates etc last tuesday and it wouldn't power up. Google said different hdmi, plug into wall not surge protector etc etc. Got onto game who said no way would they get a new one to me before Xmas.

Imagine that on 25th morning !!!

Could have called Microsoft. If you don't mind having a hold on your cc/dc for the value of the console they will have a replacement with you in 2 days, then get the UPS guy to wait and put the old console in the packaging with the supplied label and send it back.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If you've already got a Microsoft account from an Xbox 360, then you can just use that, otherwise, as karltimber says.

But if I use his existing a/c will he see the new xbone stuff??

But if I use his existing a/c will he see the new xbone stuff??

If it is a download game, yes as he will receive an email receipt of the purchase, even if it is a prepaid card.

If it is a download game, yes as he will receive an email receipt of the purchase, even if it is a prepaid card.
    The emails come to my address, but would anything show up on his 360?

The emails come to my address, but would anything show up on his 360?

Not sure. It might come up with Xbox One Games at the top of his achievement list, but I don't know if that will appear if the account hasn't unlocked any yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not sure. It might come up with Xbox One Games at the top of his achievement list, but I don't know if that will appear if the account hasn't unlocked any yet.

as far as I know, achievements wont show on his 360 until you actually unlock one. so as long as you're not playing his xmas present while he's in bed, you should be good to go!
    :pac:

Advertisement