Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Gambler!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Mellor wrote: »
    Who? Would add a lot to the thread, imo.

It happened. He's clearly not a sportsbetting degen. Pit games and some poker degeneracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Is the poker boom over?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bohsman wrote: »
    It happened. He's clearly not a sportsbetting degen. Pit games and some poker degeneracy.
    I actually copped who this when I seen the location.
    The Brandao bet should of gave it away also. ;)

"CR" amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

"CR" amirite?

I was hoping it was ACE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

dobman88 wrote: »
    So you say you lost $600 in one bet and $5k in a hand of poker at $200/$400 level which would equate to 12.5bb. Hardly mind blowing stuff here. Yet you call yourself a degenerate gambler. Bit of an over reaction imo. Tbh, it just sounds like you had a bit if craic after leaving school for a few months.

This guy sounds like a degenerate http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12572

No actual question. I'd just like to know what you make of the above link compared to your small bets/losses.

To your average Joe Soap like me, the thought of gambling $600 on one hand is just mind boggling. If I lost $5k I think I would be suicidal......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Since it sounds like you are more or less in the same industry what did you make of the Full Tilt Poker scandal and implosion a couple of years ago, did it impact you / your workplace at all?

I worked there, yeah. So it affected me pretty badly. Lost my job there.

The entire thing was a cluster fúck from start to finish. The lack of clarity from the board to the players was pretty disgusting. And the false hopes to the staff that "'XYZ' is going to come and pump money in to save us" was equally disgusting.
    dobman88 wrote: »
    So you say you lost $600 in one bet and $5k in a hand of poker at $200/$400 level which would equate to 12.5bb. Hardly mind blowing stuff here. Yet you call yourself a degenerate gambler. Bit of an over reaction imo. Tbh, it just sounds like you had a bit if craic after leaving school for a few months.

This guy sounds like a degenerate link removed

No actual question. I'd just like to know what you make of the above link compared to your small bets/losses.

I'm not going to quantify my losses vs. someone else. It's all relative. However, if you read the correction on IPB instead of regurgitating someone else's post you'd have seen that the loss happened at lower stakes.

My intention was never to come here and blow people away by the sums of money lost. There's no Dan Bilzerian-esque tails of dropping millions over a game of snap.

It was a turn around story.

As for what I think; It's akin to that person starting the same thread and then someone quoting a story from Nick the Greek stating that his losses are small ball. What's €50 to one person may well be the equivalent to €5 for another.
    As above, your max loss at at 200/400 being $5k is very odd.
    How many times did you sit into 200/400 games, roughly. Usually buy-in?

I’m not saying I don’t believe you btw. But surely you can see why it’s not a typical situation at 200/400.

Even if you refer to tournaments. Its’ a strange life goal. To win $1000 or more in a tourney when you’ve were playing 200/400. And had single hand worth c.$32,000 on a single hand.

Who? Would add a lot to the thread, imo.
    Do you ever have the occasional game online, or are you completely over it?

As noted, that particular hand happened at lower stakes. Anyone from IPB who knows me, knows the reason why I played those stakes.

The thread I created about playing tournaments was ~4+ years after I stopped playing online. I didn't regularly play those stakes at the time, no. Think I posted somewhere here that my main game was 100NL, usually 8 tabling.

As for who, the only poster I know on IPB well is Bohsman and he's stated both here and there that it happened.

As for still playing, it's very sporadic. Once in a blue moon when something comes up but overall, I'd say no, I don't play anymore.
    TINA1984 wrote: »
    Is the poker boom over?

I believe so yes. There's little to no easy money to be made online anymore.

What's the difference between a professional gambler (if one actually exists) and someone addicted to gambling?

A problem gambler to me is someone who has lost the ability to control their gameplay/bet selection. Chasing losses and upping their stakes, betting on obscure games that are running 'now' as opposed to waiting for a later one where they have a more informed opinion. Professional gamblers exist. Few and far between in my opinion but they exist. Personally, I don't know a single one (if we're strictly referring to sports betting).
    What do you think makes someone gamble on a regular basis?

I suppose that's subjective to the person but for me, if I lost I wanted to play and bet on whatever until that loss was recuperated. Or near as possible. It was well past the stage of getting the thrill of winning money but wanting my own back.
    Is the route to great face to face poker playing, learning your "craft" in online poker these days?

There's a lot of internet pros who never play live as the games are so much slower. When they do play live it's obvious as they sit awkwardly, hold their cards awkwardly and when they place their chips in for a pot. I suppose you could look at this as being advantageous - if he doesn't know what he's doing, how are you to (in that particular sense as obviously he'd be knowledged in the game)
    The olde saying, "you never hear the losing stories, only the winning stories"- how many people in Ireland do you think, actually make a "living" as a professional gambler?

There's a lot of great poker players in Ireland who make a nice living from it. A friend of mine is quite a successful player who would make ~6 figures a year. As above though, in terms of sports betting, I don't know anyone.

Many thanks :)[/QUOTE]

No problem :)
    Whosthis wrote: »
    I assume that's polite corporate speak for RATting/hacking?

Do different poker rooms on the same network cooperate in identifying bots?

This was made aware on TwoPlusTwo (poker forum) at one point post Black Friday - it's general knowledge in the poker community now that it was Full Tilt who did. They were, at the time and as far as I know now, the only site to do. Maybe with the merge with Stars they might too.

In fact, in their T's & C's it states that "You agree that PokerStars may take steps to detect and prevent the use of prohibited EPA Programs"

So I'm guessing they do...

"CR" amirite?

Harsh :p

...and yes. Location is a giveaway plus it's in the BBV thread on IPB. Never intended to be a secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Considering that you got to the stage where you stole from somebody, do you feel you were an addict, or a problem gambler?

If yes to either, is it difficult or therapeutic to work in the industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Life Degen wrote: »

EDIT: There's posters from IPB that will vouch for my above claim at those stakes.

Fair enough, my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Harsh :p

...and yes. Location is a giveaway plus it's in the BBV thread on IPB. Never intended to be a secret.
    Lol I meant the fact it's a UFC as opposed to Brandao.
    I had him backed in that one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

how did/do you react to the worst bad beats in poker?

have you made any royal flushes?

play any 5 card draw? what limits?

ty gl

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I worked there, yeah. So it affected me pretty badly. Lost my job there.

The entire thing was a cluster fúck from start to finish. The lack of clarity from the board to the players was pretty disgusting. And the false hopes to the staff that "'XYZ' is going to come and pump money in to save us" was equally disgusting.

Ah, me too :) Bailed out to NZ in June 2011 before the worst hit though.

how did/do you react to the worst bad beats in poker?

have you made any royal flushes?

play any 5 card draw? what limits?

ty gl

Think I've hit 3 royal flushes. Definitely 2 at least!

Bad beats were solved (temporarily) through drinking some beer. Not getting annihilated or anything - just having a cold crisp beer would relax me. Had some mates around me when playing live at the time who would have taken me away from the table for a smoke and a chat or something.

Never played 5 card before, no. Played a little fixed limit 7 card stud way back when but wouldn't remember the stakes. Nothing monumental anyway. I sucked at it but enjoyed playing :D
    Ah, me too :) Bailed out to NZ in June 2011 before the worst hit though.

I vaguely remember talking to you actually around the time it happened. One of us twigged from the others posts that we worked there.

AQ or 66 ?

Think I've hit 3 royal flushes. Definitely 2 at least!

Bad beats were solved (temporarily) through drinking some beer. Not getting annihilated or anything - just having a cold crisp beer would relax me. Had some mates around me when playing live at the time who would have taken me away from the table for a smoke and a chat or something.

Never played 5 card before, no. Played a little fixed limit 7 card stud way back when but wouldn't remember the stakes. Nothing monumental anyway. I sucked at it but enjoyed playing :D

I vaguely remember talking to you actually around the time it happened. One of us twigged from the others posts that we worked there.

so did u usually play sober? :)

AQ or 66 ?

66. Why would you want to start behind :p
    so did u usually play sober? :)

When I played online, yeah. Except one time, I came home steaming drunk, did fortunes and then e-mailed CS the next stating I was hacked because I couldn't remember playing.

Playing live weekly tournaments I would have always gone for a pint or two before the game with some friends and then on the break too, nip to The Cellar Bar on Merrion Square. Live cash games it was very seldom I'd drink and play unless it was just to mess around in The Jackpot after a night out while waiting for town (Dublin ;)) to ease up a bit before getting a taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Why couldn't they change your name to life degenerate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Eddie Rockets or Zaytoons?

Why couldn't they change your name to life degenerate?

They can change my name to anything they want. They're the Mod Gods.
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets or Zaytoons?

Jesus. Erm. That's like choosing between my dogs.

There's more option for me in Eddie Rockets but.. Zaytoons!!!

Can't I have both? Gun to my head, it's probably Eddies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

What kinda dogs do u have. And how old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Zebrano wrote: »

Ask for a pic, one is the most amazing dog you'll ever see!

Zebrano wrote: »

Didn't ever imagine this question would come up :D

A Newfoundland and a Collie crossed with a Spitz. One is 6 in the summer, the other will be 4 in the summer.
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Ask for a pic, one is the most amazing dog you'll ever see!

The whole family.

8125090630_09a9a4cc3e_c.jpg

30leaep.jpg
    2rdki3c.jpg
    249404.jpg
    8125106301_977030df48_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Awh so cute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I want to say a big thank you to all of you for the questions and comments and of course to Life Degen for taking the time to answer and give us some interesting insights behind the curtain of the gambling business.

Don't forget, if you'd like to sign up to be in the AMA hotseat, you can fill out this form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement