Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union dividents

Options
  • 09-12-2014 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Credit union dividends Sorry about spelling error in title

My friend asked me about here Credit Union dividend which seems very small this year but the amount saved is the same slightly higher.How are these dividends calculated.?

Would she be better saving elsewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Yorker wrote: »
    My friend asked me about here Credit Union dividend which seems very small this year but the amount saved is the same slightly higher.How are these dividends calculated.?

Would she be better saving elsewhere?

its not a set out %, it depends on how the cu is performing year to year.
    Its communicated in the booklet of results sent out at year end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

dobsdave wrote: »
    its not a set out %, it depends on how the cu is performing year to year.
    Its communicated in the booklet of results sent out at year end
    it must be doing bad. she showed me statements going back a few years when it was 4 times the amount this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

it must be doing bad. she showed me statements going back a few years when it was 4 times the amount this year

I've never had large amounts of money in cu for the simple reason they always had a dividend of just 1%. They did however pay a rebate if 6% on the amount you paid back through loans you have with them. Not sure how they calculate vthis though and can vary from cu to cu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the CU movement isn't one for depositing large sums in the hope for a return. If your friend has money on deposit for this reason only then she really needs to look at other savings products on the market.

D3PO wrote: »
    the CU movement isn't one for depositing large sums in the hope for a return. If your friend has money on deposit for this reason only then she really needs to look at other savings products on the market.
    its not for that but a dividendwhich is one quarter of before is a lot

• Advertisement

its not for that but a dividendwhich is one quarter of before is a lot

what year(s) are you comparing to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

They used to be an awful lot better. I think I was getting around 4% about 10 years ago, now I'd be lucky to get 1%

The Credit Union is not the place to be saving. Your friend should check out http://www.consumerhelp.ie/compare and pick a product that offers her a better interest rate and suits her needs, be that a lump sum deposit or a regular savings account.

dobsdave wrote: »
    what year(s) are you comparing to?
    2007 /2008

2007 /2008

I think rates everywhere have changed for the worse for savers since 2007 to be fair.

Advertisement