Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feed your dogs more in this chilly weather?

• 09-12-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

My two would eat till the cows come home but I wonder if I should be upping their food a bit, I know I'm always a bit hungrier when it's colder, they're not doing any more exercise than usual but the older one especially seems a bit hungrier (but he is greedy in general!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I personally dont as mine live indoors, but i suppose if they lived out i would up their food.

I generally only increase or decrease food in relation to their body condition, so unless you are concerned about their condition i wouldnt worry too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My old collie is constantly hungry in cold weather so she gets all she seeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My boys are on a diet so it's business as usual for them lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My cocker is a total hungry horse, he would eat until he bursts … literally….(if I let him that is :D)…. you’d swear he lived through a world war or something!
    I don’t really up his food in the winter only if he’s doing a lot of exercise then I’ll add a small handful of taste of the wild dried food to his dinner (usually cooked salmon (or beef), carrots, turnip, broccoli).

Like AndreaC says I watch his body and if he’s looking a bit porky I drop his intake a bit and visi versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Yeah, absolutely agree with andreac, I just always keep a sharp eye on condition, and adjust feed accordingly. Now at the moment it's a pup, so changing constantly anyway, but I did find my very lean dobie would need a wee bit extra in winter, and I often find my cats do too, even though they are indoor cats! But with dogs that very much does vary with the individual. As stated, all year round you do just keep an eye on if they are losing/gaining/maintaining, and adjust accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm putting my pair on a diet!! They've put on about a kg each since their last weigh in and it needs to come off :o

I think the problem stemmed from when we went on hols, I know my neighbour who looks after them can be a bit heavy handed with portions and probably overfed them, plus I left a big bucket of treats, of ones that I had cut in half rather than giving them full treats, but it was empty when we got back. Of course the guilt with us going away for 2 whole weeks also meant we overcompensated when we got home :o They both look slightly bigger than normal as their coats have been growing like wildfire after getting a good cut last summer, so their coats looked like they were adding bulk, but we did a weigh in last night and they need to lose a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks everyone, I was feeling a bit guilty (those eyes those eyes!!!) but I'll stick to what they're on, they're indoor dogs and we weigh them every few months to keep an eye, they're both fine weight wise at the mo, have to keep a closer eye on the older lad, (he's the really greedy one who my husband will give in to if I'm not there) as he's got a touch of arthritis in his hips so his weight has to be closely monitored

Advertisement