Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Benefit & Self Employed

Options
  • 09-12-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I am currently self employed running an online business and am on BTWEA. I am due my baby mid January and am due to start my maternity leave on 2nd of January. I received the letter this morning saying i will get a payment of €230 per week until the 2nd Of July. I am just wondering first of all does my BTWEA get stopped when the MB payment starts and will it be continued in July when MB is stopped?? I am supposed to be getting BTWEA until November 2015 so will this be extended?

Secondly I am wondering do I have to close my business for the 6 months while getting Maternity Benefit. I am a sole trader so I cant have anyone else run the business for me.

Hope someone can help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

I am very familiar with BTWEA but haven't had experience of this particular scenario. Your best bet is talk to the citizens information office or call their phone line, they will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

NotaSheep wrote: »
    I am very familiar with BTWEA but haven't had experience of this particular scenario. Your best bet is talk to the citizens information office or call their phone line, they will be able to advise you.

No, the best option is to talk to the office administering the btwea claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

Dan, appreciate your addition - however the OPs situation goes beyond the remit of BTWEA alone and involves finer rules of MB - citizens have knowledge of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

NotaSheep wrote: »
    Dan, appreciate your addition - however the OPs situation goes beyond the remit of BTWEA alone and involves finer rules of MB - citizens have knowledge of both.

The maternity starts on one date ends on another. The queries asked are all around the btwea. Also citizens information know about scheme conditionality etc not scheme administration which this query falls under. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

The department administering BTWEA will get a warning report that you are in receipt of Mat. BTWEA will be stopped as you cannot receive a double payment. Your time on BTWEA will be extended by 6 months. With regard to the re start of your BTWEA in July it would be best to contact your local office or the case officer who was dealing with your BTWEA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rigu

I'm due to have a baby in the next month, but not worked and have no PRSI contribution paid. My question is if anyone know if I can claim Maternity Benefit payment based on my husbands contributions, he is the only one working in our family. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rigu

thank you,

Advertisement