Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was in the the silver penny today in dublin and It looked great with very reasonable prices on food and drink

Ours will hopefully be similar with it been an ex bank like the silver penny

The app ordering service can be a pain esp for people not into technology

The app is class to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dexpat

They re-submitted another application before Christmas making a few small changes. Planning approval was due this month. Doesn't seem to be anything yet.

The independent article says it will open in July. I know from passing the Silver Penny in Dublin regularly that when they start fitting out they don't mess around so it should be possible if they start soon. I like the name 'The Arundel Gate', better than a generic sounding pub name and fitting for the location.

Be great to see a bit of life there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

“… expected to open in July along Broad Street and Arundel Square on sites previously filled by derelict shops and a closed bank branch.”

God the way they twist things in press releases. Shops are derelict because they bought the site and left it empty for nearly ten years and go derelict. They were not derelict until Wetherspoons bought the site. Anyway, will be good for the area to have it open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Latest planning permission has now been granted.I wonder when will work commence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Zero-hour contracts, just what Waterford needs and not a peep out of its Leftie politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Zero-hour contracts, just what Waterford needs and not a peep out of its Leftie politicians.

Do you really think this is the time to be bitter about a pub opening in a city you hate? Stay in and stay safe

It's the local politicians you should be bitter about, not a word out of any of them criticising their employment practices, pure exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Most are likely on part time jobs which probably suit many younger who are studying and make up most bar staff.

There are a lot of protections for zero hour contracts here.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Most are likely on part time jobs which probably suit many younger who are studying and make up most bar staff.

Wetherspoon are putting all capital projects on hold... They might not even survive this shutdown

Wetherspoon are putting all capital projects on hold... They might not even survive this shutdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brexit pub should suit one or two round here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jamie2k9 wrote:

What kind of protections would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Bards wrote: »
    Tim Martin is a tool, I hope Wetherspoon's go under, watch their share price tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I hope they never come to Waterford. Their owner is a Brexit supporter and is continuing to trade in a pandemic. I would rather spend my money in a local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I hope they never come to Waterford. Their owner is a Brexit supporter and is continuing to trade in a pandemic. I would rather spend my money in a local pub.
    A lot of their pubs will never reopen, the company is carrying a lot of debt and will find it hard to survive a prolonged shutdown, its ironic that because they didn't close in time they mite never reopen

A lot of other pubs are now boarded up and won't reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Gillman1998

I hope Irish people remember the terrible treatment that Tim Martin is doling out to his staff in this crisis, absolutely appalling behaviour. As much as I like a good pint of ale or semi-reasonable pub food, after this I wont be darkening their door (assuming there is one to darken).

• Advertisement

I hope Irish people remember the terrible treatment that Tim Martin is doling out to his staff in this crisis, absolutely appalling behaviour. As much as I like a good pint of ale or semi-reasonable pub food, after this I wont be darkening their door (assuming there is one to darken).

whats he at?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Trust me, they won’t, if and when it eventually opens, people won’t care who owns it, they will go wherever they value is, and a new pub in the centre of town, will do well regardless of the politics attached to it.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats he at?

Tim Martin issued a video saying that wetherspoons would not be paying staff and the govt has committed to a wage for people made unemployed in the uk by the current situation. He mentioned as their business has slowed down other businesses have been inquiring about staff referencing tesco as looking for 20000 people. He said if you want to stay at home and draw the govt payment do, if you feel like working and going getting some work from tesco or the likes by all means do that and you will have 1st pref on wetherspoons jobs when they arise in the future.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Trust me, they won’t, if and when it eventually opens, people won’t care who owns it, they will go wherever they value is, and a new pub in the centre of town, will do well regardless of the politics attached to it.

100%

dzilla wrote: »
    Tim Martin issued a video saying that wetherspoons would not be paying staff and the govt has committed to a wage for people made unemployed in the uk by the current situation. He mentioned as their business has slowed down other businesses have been inquiring about staff referencing tesco as looking for 20000 people. He said if you want to stay at home and draw the govt payment do, if you feel like working and going getting some work from tesco or the likes by all means do that and you will have 1st pref on wetherspoons jobs when they arise in the future.

ah right arsehole then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

vriesmays wrote: »

These types of contracts are not possible in most cases, in Ireland.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contracts_without_specific_working_hours_zero_hours_contracts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't agree with him about Brexit.

I didn't like his attitude during the COVID-19 pub closures.

However, I will return to his pubs, as he reduces the power of the dominant, overcharging brewers.

Other pub chains in Ireland buy in bulk, do not pass on the savings, and make 80% gross profits.

JDWS make 7.8% net profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Gillman1998

Aquos76 wrote: »

I take your point although my comment was nothing to do with politics. I'm actually quite a fan of Wetherspoons, more to do with treating people decently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Geuze wrote: »
    I don't agree with him about Brexit.

I didn't like his attitude during the COVID-19 pub closures.

However, I will return to his pubs, as he reduces the power of the dominant, overcharging brewers.

Other pub chains in Ireland buy in bulk, do not pass on the savings, and make 80% gross profits.

JDWS make 7.8% net profits.

He is shafting his own staff at the worst time possible whilst making snide remarks telling them to go to Tesco for a job. He's a horrible pr1ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

This is what hes doing to his own people....

Advertisement