Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

D-FENS wrote: »
    Any update on the Waterford one opening?

It has not got planning permission yet.

http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/15710/0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

callaway92 wrote: »
    For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Wetherspoons didn't go ahead with this in the end. Have that feeling! :/
    Speak Now wrote: »
    Its going ahead, 40/45 new jobs in the town when they open.
    debok wrote: »
    Wetherspoons spokesman was on radio this morning said it be open by middle of 2015.
    D-FENS wrote: »
    Any update on the Waterford one opening?
    JohnC. wrote: »
    Not seen any sign of activity there for a very long time.
    BBM77 wrote: »

Yup. Just didn't sit right with me from the start. If it was going to open up it would've been there by now I think.

The planning permission shouldn't be taking this long at all unless they are doing a full, large revamp of the place. The beer garden is probably what is holding it all up.

EDIT: It looks like future work by the Waterford City Council that is planned will be interfered with by a lot of what Wetherspoons have planned. Long way to go yet, if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Article in business section of Irish examiner today...company to focus on Dublin....Waterford (and carlow) on back burner.
    Time for council to put some sort of derelict order on them, they have permission for good while now, shouldn't be allowed sit on site by leaving it in state it is in.I'm all for pro business and being reasonable but just seems like big company taking the P at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »
    Article in business section of Irish examiner today...company to focus on Dublin....Waterford (and carlow) on back burner.
    Time for council to put some sort of derelict order on them, they have permission for good while now, shouldn't be allowed sit on site by leaving it in state it is in.I'm all for pro business and being reasonable but just seems like big company taking the P at this stage.

:mad: This ****e seriously irritates me. It’s completely unacceptable that these viable buildings will be left undeveloped for possibly over a decade. Why did they buy them? What the hell has changed? If anything the prospects for Waterford have improved since they bought them and got planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BBM77 wrote: »
    :mad: This ****e seriously irritates me. It’s completely unacceptable that these viable buildings will be left undeveloped for possibly over a decade. Why did they buy them? What the hell has changed? If anything the prospects for Waterford have improved since they bought them and got planning permission.

Unfortunately there is no way to 'compel' building owners to do anything to their vacant/idle properties unless they are a risk to the public i.e. Close to collapsing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

News & Star had a piece about this in their paper a few weeks ago, they said literally what the Examiner piece is saying, that the Dublin one would be priority for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

That's a pity, I had not realised things had gone quiet, I just thought they were a bit slow getting things started.

The building on the corner of Michael Street and Lady Lane (beside Dunnes Stores) kind of looks like it's being turned into a pub - does anyone know what's going in there?

erica74 wrote: »
    That's a pity, I had not realised things had gone quiet, I just thought they were a bit slow getting things started.

The building on the corner of Michael Street and Lady Lane (beside Dunnes Stores) kind of looks like it's being turned into a pub - does anyone know what's going in there?

Tony Roche menswear...open couple weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Is it? Jeez I hadn't noticed at all! It must be a couple of weeks since I was down that way so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Be closed in another couple..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sosurface wrote: »

Is that really necessary? Hopefully your account will be closed in another couple... The comments you have posted on this and other Waterford forums recently have been disgraceful. No-one finds it the least bit funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

iseegirls wrote: »
    Is that really necessary? Hopefully your account will be closed in another couple....

Isn't backseat modding ya know, frowned upon around here?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I've already had to an you from here for 7 days, you seem to just come on here to piss as many people off as you can, the next post I see from you that is posted just to get a reaction will lead to you being permanently banned from here, you may take this as your final warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Aquos76 wrote: »

I've already had to an you from here for 7 days, you seem to just come on here to piss as many people off as you can, the next post I see from you that is posted just to get a reaction will lead to you being permanently banned from here, you may take this as your final warming.

He's at the same craic on another thread and is at it non stop. Can you please just ban him, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

JD Wetherspoon says it's committed to opening in Waterford City.

The pub giant was granted planning permission last November to develop a premises at two adjoining buildings on Broad Street and Arundel Square.

The Waterford pub would be spread out over three floors and would include a 1st floor customer garden area.

Wetherspoon confirmed to WLR News that they will definitely be developing the site, however, at present there are no on-site or open dates.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/118553-pub-chain-says-it-will-definitely-be-developing-site-in-waterford.html

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

So they are going to do it but are in no hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Won't open in 2018 (nor will one in Carlow)

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Won't open in 2018 (nor will one in Carlow)
    It says "this financial year". Their financial year runs until August so there is a possibility it could open after then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Wetherspoons didn't go ahead with this in the end. Have that feeling! :/
    Speak Now wrote: »
    Its going ahead, 40/45 new jobs in the town when they open.
    debok wrote: »
    Wetherspoons spokesman was on radio this morning said it be open by middle of 2015.

Good times... This ever gonna happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Good times... This ever gonna happen?

2015 is a very slow year! cant see this happening at all

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Cant see it happening. Wetherspoons owner Tim Martin campaigned in favor of brexit. Now he says he cant make money in Ireland because of brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cant see it happening. Wetherspoons owner Tim Martin campaigned in favor of brexit. Now he says he cant make money in Ireland because of brexit!

thats strange, didnt see that one coming! its unfortunate though, could have been a good addition to the town

Isn't he still building here though, I thought I read a bit about Witherspoon hotel and another pub recently enough. Probably Dublin but still. I also read in n&s about some pre works in site here, that's all it was in article, nothing too be excited about but just works connected to surveying, etc. A lot of conflicting info and to be fair, this fella does a lot of giving out about anything that prevents the UK isolating itself in a hard brexit and going back to the empire days.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dk1982

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thats strange, didnt see that one coming! its unfortunate though, could have been a good addition to the town
    It really isnt unfortunate. The last thing the city centre needs is one of those dives. Will do absolutely nothing for the area other than provide a place in the city centre for the dregs of society to get cheap drink and vile food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

dk1982 wrote: »
    It really isnt unfortunate. The last thing the city centre needs is one of those dives. Will do absolutely nothing for the area other than provide a place in the city centre for the dregs of society to get cheap drink and vile food

Have you seen Michael Street recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Thats true. Went into the one in Dun Laoghaire one Saturday at about 2PM. Place was filthy, lads falling around the place totally pissed, full of kids playing around. We legged it pretty quick. Waterford could do without one of these in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dk1982

Thats true. Went into the one in Dun Laoghaire one Saturday at about 2PM. Place was filthy, lads falling around the place totally pissed, full of kids playing around. We legged it pretty quick. Waterford could do without one of these in the city centre.

I live in Swords and the one there is the exact same. Full of people who are barred out of every other bar in the town along with their offspring. Horrific establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

agreed. Wetherspoons is among the worst thing the Brits have unleashed upon us.:D

Brits abroad type sh*tholes.

The UK is full of these franchised branded bar kips: Yates, walkabout, wetherspoons. The less of them that make it over here the better .

• Advertisement

agreed. Wetherspoons is among the worst thing the Brits have unleashed upon us.:D

Brits abroad type sh*tholes.

The UK is full of these franchised branded bar kips: Yates, walkabout, wetherspoons. The less of them that make it over here the better .

Agreed but it would be nice to have a bar there all the same, to inject a bit of life into that part of town.

Advertisement