Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thats strange, didnt see that one coming! its unfortunate though, could have been a good addition to the town

Yes, I welcome good value beer and spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Oh no. And after the city council spending a fortune laying a playground outside for them, as they did for the vintners association in the Apple market too to be fair. They're nothing if not fair... to certain powerful sections of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Oh no. And after the city council spending a fortune laying a playground outside for them, as they did for the vintners association in the Apple market too to be fair. They're nothing if not fair... to certain powerful sections of society.

The old Alfie Hales is in such a prime spot for that renovated area as well. Along with the new part on City Square, and this Wetherspoons building. All lying empty.

It's nice there around Winterval and Harvest, but there really need to something decent there soon for those other 11 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

iseegirls wrote: »
    The old Alfie Hales is in such a prime spot for that renovated area as well. Along with the new part on City Square, and this Wetherspoons building. All lying empty.

It's nice there around Winterval and Harvest, but there really need to something decent there soon for those other 11 months

Think the post office is moving to Alfie's. The wetherspoons building on arundal square and Michael Street is probably going to be empty for a while but hey look best to have it empty that a few ruffians have chicken and chips on there sucking cheap pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Looks like something finally happening with this starting in May
    Work on Waterford’s much-delayed JD Wetherspoon is expected to start in May.

The Waterford News & Star has revealed that the pub chain plans to commence construction on the former Permanent TSB site at Arundal Square after the completion of their Carlow and Dublin pubs.

Wetherspoon’s Acquisitions & Disposals Department is expected to issue programme dates in the coming weeks.

According to the approved planning application file from Waterford City & County Council in November 2016, the development will rise to three floors with a ‘pavement cafe area’ at ground floor level.

A first floor 146 square metre outdoor garden will feature to the rear of the property, along with a small extension to 17-18 Broad Street.

The news comes five years after the pub chain initially expressed an interest in Ireland’s oldest city, when in 2014, the chain was reported to be investigating the possibility of renovating and expanding T&H Doolan’s of George’s Street.
    https://beat102103.com/news/may-start-date-for-construction-of-jd-wetherspoon-in-waterford/?fbclid=IwAR2i5e8MnpBf6rWKigeco6KE-9bc3eR6-It4XrCJUUdGISi2x-d954zFjKo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭ExoPolitic

At last! nice to get that area of the city centre alive again. Also will be nice to have a few draught ciders on tap which arent bulmers/orchard thieves! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

obv mentioned here as much as i would like the cheap drink/food. The clintele that will be frequalting this place may not be pretty and Weatherspoons have been known to be lifeless places but nice too see something been added too the city centre. For a major Irish city we have a terrible selection of pubs in our city centre. I do like the Gingerman but busines can be quite low in the evening times same with the City arms. Suppose the reg and John Street are not far but meh

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭ExoPolitic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    obv mentioned here as much as i would like the cheap drink/food. The clintele that will be frequalting this place may not be pretty and Weatherspoons have been known to be lifeless places but nice too see something been added too the city centre. For a major Irish city we have a terrible selection of pubs in our city centre. I do like the Gingerman but busines can be quite low in the evening times same with the City arms. Suppose the reg and John Street are not far but meh

To be fair now, we either have really nice pubs or shocking holes for pubs. This will throw them all in to motion to improve I think. Wetherspoons from my UK visits have always been uniform and cheap, something we're missing out on. A plus for yourself there is you can enjoy the pubs you frequent with less of the less pretty clientele as you put it... It's a win for the consumer I think, we can all vote with our wallets and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Apparently The friary on lady lane is closing down soon and being put up for sale

That would be an amazing place too develop a tourist type bar/restaurant. Place in Dublin City called the church which is very nice and a similar restoration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Apparently The friary on lady lane is closing down soon and being put up for sale

That would be an amazing place too develop a tourist type bar/restaurant. Place in Dublin City called the church which is very nice and a similar restoration

Shame to see the Franciscan Friary closing. The Franciscans have been in Waterford since 1240. Hell of a site though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I thought the story in the local papers said no decision had been made yet about closing the Friary?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It’s just a rumour. The priests in there are really old and they don’t have any more at the moment to say masses. According to one of the Priests in there, he said he has heard the rumours too but that’s all they are. He said if anything, what might happen is that other priests will be brought down from Clomel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Happy days. I'll be going in for cheap drinks.

Great location. Usually have to go to the gingerman if i want a pint on a Saturday or whatever. Which doesn't suit every situation

Disgusts me when you cant get 2 rounds of drinks for €20!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Of the Weatherspoon pubs I've been to in England they've been awful pubs. Zero atmosphere in them and just a bland setup.
    Obviously I hope this one will be different but it just shows how down Waterford has become when we look forward to a ****e franchise like this setting up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Boooourns wrote: »
    Of the Weatherspoon pubs I've been to in England they've been awful pubs. Zero atmosphere in them and just a bland setup.
    Obviously I hope this one will be different but it just shows how down Waterford has become when we look forward to a ****e franchise like this setting up here.

I think we're more excited because a foreign franchise setting up here is seen as a vote of confidence for our city. These companies will do their due diligence and will set up their business if they like what they see. They are not bound by the negativity we read on here all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It doesn't show anything, we have a ridiculously good selection of high quality pubs in Waterford, it is just another option that caters to some and will appeal to certain tourists as well. If they have a few hand pump ales then I'll pop in once in a while. So, nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

mayordenis wrote: »
    It doesn't show anything, we have a ridiculously good selection of high quality pubs in Waterford, it is just another option that caters to some and will appeal to certain tourists as well. If they have a few hand pump ales then I'll pop in once in a while. So, nah.

They have Blue Moon on tap. I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This development may attract greater footfall to an area of town which is currently closed for business from about 5pm every evening.

The exodus from the city centre once the shops close has been noted by many here - and it's something which must really surprise tourists.

The Council should be focusing on ensuring that the development is done to the right standard and does not run down the area in the same way that the John Street area has.

Wetherspoons has a venue in Carysfort Avenue in Blackrock which is quite well finished and has none of the 'superpub' trappings. They have another in Dun Laoghaire which is more modern, and seems to slot into that area well also.

Perhaps they just slot into the areas that they're in. Anyone who has been into an English pub knows how awful most of them are - so it's probably not something which is unique to Wetherspoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The place hasn't even opened yet and people are already complaining,this a good thing its breathing life into an area that badly needs it,its creating jobs and hopefully it will have a knock on effect for more business to open nearby.

Waterford is down because people see this as a positive thing :confused:

What's better to do?,leave the derelict building as it is?,try attract a better pub chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

hardybuck wrote: »
    This development may attract greater footfall to an area of town which is currently closed for business from about 5pm every evening.

The exodus from the city centre once the shops close has been noted by many here - and it's something which must really surprise tourists.

The Council should be focusing on ensuring that the development is done to the right standard and does not run down the area in the same way that the John Street area has.

Wetherspoons has a venue in Carysfort Avenue in Blackrock which is quite well finished and has none of the 'superpub' trappings. They have another in Dun Laoghaire which is more modern, and seems to slot into that area well also.

Perhaps they just slot into the areas that they're in. Anyone who has been into an English pub knows how awful most of them are - so it's probably not something which is unique to Wetherspoons.

Was going to post here and say the Wetherspoons in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire are decent spots. Slightly prefer the Blackrock pub, it has a better vibe. Hopefully the Wetherspoons in Waterford is similar to these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I was actually living with a friend in Blackrock while the Blackrock one, the three tun tavern or whatever its called was being built. I actually never ended up going into it, but hey amount of work they put into it was something else. The dark horse up the road was always going to get my business - now if we could get galway bay to open up a bar that would be pretty great.

gscully wrote: »
    I think we're more excited because a foreign franchise setting up here is seen as a vote of confidence for our city. These companies will do their due diligence and will set up their business if they like what they see. They are not bound by the negativity we read on here all the time.

Haven't been in the ones in Dublin so hopefully it's along those lines, the ones in England are depressing.
    I'm all for big business coming here however Starbucks and Weatherspoons wouldn't be on the attractive business list but it's start i guess.

Haven't been in the ones in Dublin so hopefully it's along those lines, the ones in England are depressing.
    I'm all for big business coming here however Starbucks and Weatherspoons wouldn't be on the attractive business list but it's start i guess.

I've been up to a couple in Dublin and they're depressing enough tbh. Horrible reheated food too.

I've been up to a couple in Dublin and they're depressing enough tbh. Horrible reheated food too.

Right... time will tell on this one i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

The one in BlackRock is far from depressing. Well it was anytime I was there. Food was grand. Lovely little smoking area out the back. Toilets upstairs was only issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I really dont get the obsession with Weatherspoons... its a crappy chain pub that serves mediocore food and **** beer... why are people so happy about this type of establishment... its the McDonalds of the pub world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

robtri wrote: »
    I really dont get the obsession with Weatherspoons... its a crappy chain pub that serves mediocore food and **** beer... why are people so happy about this type of establishment... its the McDonalds of the pub world

Never ate there but I thought they had good beer selection anyway.the beer was good, makes me wonder have you been in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Think people just want to see something in there that will bring a bit of life back to area. Don't think anyone on here is obsessed with weatherspoons

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

To be honest , Pennies, JD Sports and John Roberts Square will attract multiple more "scumbags" to that area than any pub could dream about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I think you may be confused with another pub with relation to the beer comment. Wetherspoons is endorsed by beoir and the campaign for real ale. They offer macro beer aswell as beer from micro brewarys and hand pumped cask. There is simply too much on offer in there to say they sell crap beer. Have you been by any chance to any of the local ones in Ireland?

Advertisement