Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

robtri wrote: »
    I really dont get the obsession with Weatherspoons... its a crappy chain pub that serves mediocore food and **** beer... why are people so happy about this type of establishment... its the McDonalds of the pub world

Jameson 18yo for a very keen price in Blanch......

Plus 2.00 extra for a double spirit......

Plus free mixers with all spirits....

Plus free refills of tea......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I really dont get the obsession with Weatherspoons... its a crappy chain pub that serves mediocore food and **** beer... why are people so happy about this type of establishment... its the McDonalds of the pub world

Good beer selection, good value, usually a cask ale on tap, goes down easy......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Mulbert wrote: »
    To be honest , Pennies, JD Sports and John Roberts Square will attract multiple more "scumbags" to that area than any pub could dream about.

Wow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I really dont get the obsession with Weatherspoons

Who is obsessed with Weatherspoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Wetherspoons have two vacant shops in Broad Street connected to the very large modern TSB premises in Arundel Square. They own them and have planning permission. I would like to see them open their new pub to bring these three units back into use in these high profile areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Five years....for a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They can stick the pub up their hole, sell those units on to someone who will use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

callaway92 wrote: »
    For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Wetherspoons didn't go ahead with this in the end. Have that feeling! :/
    Good to hear!. . . but still. . . .

I'll wait and see!
    Yup. Just didn't sit right with me from the start. If it was going to open up it would've been there by now I think.

The planning permission shouldn't be taking this long at all unless they are doing a full, large revamp of the place. The beer garden is probably what is holding it all up.

EDIT: It looks like future work by the Waterford City Council that is planned will be interfered with by a lot of what Wetherspoons have planned. Long way to go yet, if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

What work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

No fan of Wetherspoon’s delays but in fairness they did not say they were starting in May. They said after Carlow and Dublin. That is not a commitment to starting at a date as the News & Star are trying to make out. But yeah, they should do something or get of the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Deiseen wrote: »
    What work?

Can't remember now and I couldn't be bothered looking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The ridiculousness of this thread now highlights how bad things were in Waterford just a few short years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Any company that wants to bring employment to Waterford is fine by me. Haters will hate, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

See on the Galway thread that wetherspoons bought a Galway nightclub yesterday in order to open their 1st premises their. Hopefully work starts on the Waterford version first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

According to beat fm, work finally started on the Waterford wetherspoons last Monday. Whether your a fan of not, this is very good news for our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

According to beat fm, work finally started on the Waterford wetherspoons last Monday. Whether your a fan of not, this is very good news for our city.

yeah great news and will hopefully add a bit of night atmosphere to that area of town. Obv will attract some of the wrong crowd but mostly will be a fine place to go

The gingerman and the city arms are good places but sometimes after 6pm there like ghost towns but daytime business is there priority mostly i imagine

2021 opening for wetherspoons ?? any chance of a 2020 opening do u say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah great news and will hopefully add a bit of night atmosphere to that area of town. Obv will attract some of the wrong crowd but mostly will be a fine place to go

The gingerman and the city arms are good places but sometimes after 6pm there like ghost towns but daytime business is there priority mostly i imagine

2021 opening for wetherspoons ?? any chance of a 2020 opening do u say

Youd think they are aiming for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

dzilla wrote: »
    Youd think they are aiming for Christmas.

I imagine no way they would be open for xmas unless there building 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

It's not the Taj Mahal they are rebuilding. Its a Wetherspoons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭ExoPolitic

To be fair now, a couple of months is not unrealistic if they were organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ah here they're a massive chain its not going to take 2 years hahaha

I'm sure it'll be all up and running within the next 6 to 8 months surely no?

Anyway ill just be glad to have somewhere else besides the Gingerman when I fancy a drink near city square instead of having to trek down to John Street or O Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Passed by a couple of times over the past 2 days and I haven't seen any sign of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I actually like having pubs in that area. John Street can get very crowded on a fine day.

Sad to see Mahers up for Sale, hopefully won't go the way of T&Hs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

There's a new sign up on Wetherspoons now saying 'coming soon'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

There's a new sign up on Wetherspoons now saying 'coming soon'

Another Cinema then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

:D:D That would certainly add to the Waterford skyline!
    (then again someone would probably complain or object to the most beautiful building being built in the world in our town boy!)

Whatever you might think of the Wetherspoons brand it will bring much needed life into the area. And will take some the pressure of John St. A halfway point between it and the O'Connell St venues. TBH there was always a selection of pubs in the centre of town : Egans, Temple Bar, City Arms & The Old Stand.

As pedestrian friendly the centre strip of the town is part of me thinks that it would be a lot more lively if there was traffic flowing thru it. Even a single one way road system say from the Clock Tower up to the end of Michael St. TBH I dunno why Arundel Square was pedestrianised @ at all - a one way system would have sufficed here too.

Back to Wetherspoons; hopefully it will be up and running quick smart. Might even kick start other vacant properties into life. Personally I think Waterford is slowly on the rise. We have got to be patient. These things take time. Much has been done over past decade or so to raise the profile : Viking Triangle, Greenway & All Together Now festival. Sure it all comes down to funding but hopefully the North Quays will progress in some format over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A Weatherspoons in Waterford is the Taj Mahal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »

Your a hoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

vriesmays wrote: »

I missed where you said you were from?

Advertisement