Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash v trade in price

• 09-12-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Possibly a very straight forward question, but can't wrap my head around this... Hopefully someone can explain! I'm looking at a second hand car, and the price advertised as without a trade-in is cheaper than the price with a trade-in. Does this make sense? Or am I being completely dense...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

That's the way most dealers are. The trade in price is higher as they have to sell on your trade in before they've got all their money as such. Whereas buying straight they can afford to give a bit extra off. Often times your better of to sell your own car yourself privately and then buy the car of the dealer straight. But that's not always the case it depends on what the dealer is offering for your car and how popular it is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Possibly a very straight forward question, but can't wrap my head around this... Hopefully someone can explain! I'm looking at a second hand car, and the price advertised as without a trade-in is cheaper than the price with a trade-in. Does this make sense? Or am I being completely dense...

yip makes sense, they have a "washout" on a trade-in so that the price is higher, they probably need to spend money on your car to make it saleable, they take that into account when they are advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The cash price advertised is normally a discounted price for not trading in another car. So if you have a trade-in the price of the other car will be based on the pre discounted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

In theory is always nicer to sell your own car first and have the cash in hand but sometimes the bloody hassle ain't worth the difference. Dealers always have a little movement so make sure you consider that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭smurfette2212

Thank you all so much for explaining! I understand now, so I appreciate the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement