Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this loud enough?

• 09-12-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Two 3" speakers (each 5W, 4 Ohm), one 4'' speaker (25W, 4 Ohm)

what sort of sound are we talking with the spec above? looking for some speakers to play music reasonably loud...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The kind of sound that would hurt baby jebus' ears :(

Seriously though it really depends on the enclosure but I can't imagine listening to those at high volumes for any length of time. Are these some type of 2.1 computer speaker setup ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

ZENER wrote: »
    The kind of sound that would hurt baby jebus' ears :(

Seriously though it really depends on the enclosure but I can't imagine listening to those at high volumes for any length of time. Are these some type of 2.1 computer speaker setup ?

Ken

No its the spec for a single portable Bluetooth speaker, I haven't a clue about watts and ohms

In an ideal world you could expect to turn the volume to max and get clean albeit not exactly high fidelity full range sound. Alas the figures you quote are probably the Peak ratings which are hopeful figures rather than realistic ones.

With that you also have distortion figures represented as a % of the output. For perspective purposes - you could expect a 1000 euro audiophile amplifier to deliver it's max rated power with distortion figures < 1%, a low cost computer speaker system might struggle with about 10% distortion at 50% of it's rated max power. I.E. you get what you pay for. Science lesson over :)

I'd guess that the 4" speaker is some form of Sub-Woofer and the 3" units are the front L + R units ? The impedance is unimportant so long as the amplifier can deliver to it which I'm assuming this one can as it's integrated into the speakers. "Reasonably Loud" depends on the size of the room and how close you are to the speakers. If you plan on using them for busking on Grafton Street I'd be looking elsewhere.

Can you post a link to them and give more info on your expectations of them ?

Ken

In an ideal world you could expect to turn the volume to max and get clean albeit not exactly high fidelity full range sound. Alas the figures you quote are probably the Peak ratings which are hopeful figures rather than realistic ones.

With that you also have distortion figures represented as a % of the output. For perspective purposes - you could expect a 1000 euro audiophile amplifier to deliver it's max rated power with distortion figures < 1%, a low cost computer speaker system might struggle with about 10% distortion at 50% of it's rated max power. I.E. you get what you pay for. Science lesson over :)

I'd guess that the 4" speaker is some form of Sub-Woofer and the 3" units are the front L + R units ? The impedance is unimportant so long as the amplifier can deliver to it which I'm assuming this one can as it's integrated into the speakers. "Reasonably Loud" depends on the size of the room and how close you are to the speakers. If you plan on using them for busking on Grafton Street I'd be looking elsewhere.

Can you post a link to them and give more info on your expectations of them ?

Ken

http://www.hifi-tower.ie/oneConcept-Central-Park-Portable-2-1-Bluetooth-Speaker-USB-SD-Blue_i16913.htm

its a xmas present for my daughter, the product seems like good value connecting media various ways but I'm suspicious of poor sound

I'd love your opinion, thanks!

Fine for the intended purpose I reckon. As a father of 2 who has been through the stage of teen music and the household arguments it can cause I believe headphones are a far better option :D That said, I now have an appreciation for Metallica, System of a Down and Korn . . . Oh the joys !! I ended up giving my son a decent 'hi-fi' system so at least I could bare to listen to it without grinding my teeth :)

It's impossible to tell without actually hearing it but then if it's bought online you have a period of time to return it if you're not happy with it.

Ken

• Advertisement

Fine for the intended purpose I reckon. As a father of 2 who has been through the stage of teen music and the household arguments it can cause I believe headphones are a far better option :D That said, I now have an appreciation for Metallica, System of a Down and Korn . . . Oh the joys !! I ended up giving my son a decent 'hi-fi' system so at least I could bare to listen to it without grinding my teeth :)

It's impossible to tell without actually hearing it but then if it's bought online you have a period of time to return it if you're not happy with it.

Ken

I think I'd take Metallica over One Direction any day! I'm starting to think poor sound might be a plus :D

I'll see if I can convince her to get some headphones instead!

Thanks for your help :)

Advertisement