Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a contact phone as a present ?

Options
  • 09-12-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy a contract phone as a present ?

Was looking at maybe getting an upgrade for the missus - she's out of contract and I'm an "authorised person" as far as Customer Care goes.

Just wondering how it would work ?

EDIT : looks like this isn't a runner. Mobile shops need photo ID, signature etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Buy her a payg phone from the same network or even sim-free. All she has to do is put her sim card in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I find that generally the best phone deals aren't the ones that tie you to contracts. From time to time, you can get great value sim-free handsets (e.g. Google Nexus or Moto G) online for very good prices. I've found the value better than "sim-free" prices from the Irish operators.

While the operators will subsidise phones on 18/24 month contracts, the deal depends on how expensive the monthly package is. If you're sure you'd be on a very expensive package anyway, then why not get the subsidised phone. But otherwise, the monthly cost could end up costing you more than the phone itself.

***(There are some exceptions, where the operators offer very good deals. E.g. O2 with their 6-month contract and very well priced HTC phones) ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Personally I'd resent someone buying a phone on a contract for me. It'd be taking away the option of switching plans/networks, I might not like the handset in question and I'd be locked into the network for a year or 18 months. If you buy a sim free handset, your missus might be able to avail of one of the sim free phone plans out there and get good value from that. Off the top of my head, I know Three do a 30 day rolling sim-free contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Personally I'd resent someone buying a phone on a contract for me. It'd be taking away the option of switching plans/networks, I might not like the handset in question and I'd be locked into the network for a year or 18 months.

I'd feel the same. But I don't think the issue would arise - nobody can tie you to the terms of a contract that you haven't agreed to. I'm sure I couldn't give somebody a present of a phone that comes with a contract, without somebody having already signed the contract.

Advertisement