Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7 in 10 men overweight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

^^^^

Just in relation to that suggestion and I'm not suggesting at all you mean it that way but the optics of what you suggest would be amazingly bad from a race angle (black female obesity = 41% white female obesity = 24.5%)

Edit: And thats without even going into the socio-economic thing

Why would you make it about race though? The suggestion had no racial prejudices involved in the process at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Maguined wrote: »
    Why would you make it about race though? The suggestion had no racial prejudices involved in the process at all.

Your saying that a TV camera crew filming a FEMA helicopter lifting away middle class white women and leaving behind black working class women behind wouldn't end up being seen as Racist by parts of the US media.
    I'm not commenting on the suggestion itself but how others would pick it up if it was implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Your saying that a TV camera crew filming a FEMA helicopter lifting away middle class white women and leaving behind black working class women behind wouldn't end up being seen as Racist by parts of the US media.
    I'm not commenting on the suggestion itself but how others would pick it up if it was implemented.

I'm saying that should not be relevant when making decisions about prioritising human lives. If a new procedure could save more lives that is not inherently racist itself then it should be implemented. There will always be some people looking to call anything racist and you don't pander to it, a reasonable explanation trumps sensationalism and I believe reasonable people looking at such a proposal would not view it as inherently racist as it is not targetting race but obesity so it is not responsible for the racial demographic of obese people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

My weight constantly fluctuates. I think I was at my fittest in 2011 but I always let something derail me (I'm an emotional eater/drinker).

Both my social circles (work and friends) have a heavy drinking culture which I'm kind of sick of now tbh. I've literally had my fill (at my worst I would have been going out Friday/Saturday/Sunday and downing 6 pints of cider on each which is absolutely not good for the belly) at this stage and am starting to feel the motivation come back.

My diet once I'm in the gym is good during the week but it always go to sh1t at the weekend so I know that's the key to making headway for me; find better ways of spending my time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dean0088 wrote: »
    As for discrimination - I actually think it's okay to discriminate against obese (not overweight) people for certain jobs.

It's unspoken but anyone who aspires to work in marketing, fashion retail and certain hospitality jobs will have their looks evaluated too. And probably for many other people-facing positions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is actually no law against discriminating based on looks or weight. Similarly there is no law against discriminating against Polish people or Germans (to pick two nationalities at random).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Similarly there is no law against discriminating against Polish people or Germans (to pick two nationalities at random).

Wut?
    The Employment Equality Act 1998 prohibits discrimination in the workplace on the following grounds
    • Family status
    • Sexual orientation
    • Religion
    • Race/colour/nationality/ethnic or national origins
    • Membership of the travelling community.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Wut?

Ah ok. Nationality usen't be in there when I did my employment law module.

Advertisement