Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies 10 round numbers 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

annapr wrote: »
    well done!! and also aaargh for those 3 seconds... but that means you are there, any day now :)

Sorry to derail thread but, v, v nice to meet you again on Saturday. I didn't recognise you with your hair down. Annapr & Murph D have the same sort of (v nice!) hairstyles while running or every-daying, but yours looked very different!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Sorry to derail thread but, v, v nice to meet you again on Saturday. I didn't recognise you with your hair down. Annapr & Murph D have the same sort of (v nice!) hairstyles while running or every-daying, but yours looked very different!

Hmmn, I think you mean me? Anna and D don't have hair to tie up? Sorry you didn't make the table, disgustingly close and a great run by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I'm not v happy with my pacing either:

6.28, 6.41, 6.18, 0.38

Mile one was about what I wanted to run (I was aiming for about 6.30, 6.30, 6.20 - but I know I'll need to go faster in future to be sure), but I don't know what happened in mile 2! I know there was a drag, but I was concentrating on keeping the pace up, and I was passing so many people that I thought I was doing ok. I should have looked at my watch more.

Well done, you! You must have been neck-and-neck with my clubmate, she ran 19.47 as well.

Ah that's fairly good pacing. First mile is downhill. To make you feel better here's my splits:

5:34
    7:15 (including a 1:11 from 3k to 2mile WTF)
    6:56 (for last 1.1 miles, I missed the 3 mile marker)

Bit silly having splits in miles for a km measured race.

Yeh there were 2 girls near me in the closing stages, one from Raheny and one from Boherneen, judging by the pics. I managed to kick past them in the last 50 or so.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ah that's fairly good pacing. First mile is downhill. To make you feel better here's my splits:

5:34
    7:15 (including a 1:11 from 3k to 2mile WTF)
    6:56 (for last 1.1 miles, I missed the 3 mile marker)

Bit silly having splits in miles for a km measured race.

Yeh there were 2 girls near me in the closing stages, one from Raheny and one from Boherneen, judging by the pics. I managed to kick past them in the last 50 or so.

The Raheny girl is my clubmate. I saw her lining up, but started a few rows back as she's faster than me (as our results show :)), but I wish now I'd tried to keep her in sight and chased her. Next time!

I actually really liked the mile markers as I don't really have a feel for kilometre pacing. I can't imagine the effort needed for a 4 min km, for example, while I can more easily estimate if I'm running a 6.30 mile (though I am far from exact). I think that's because I run a lot of 2 and 3-mile races.

aquinn wrote: »
    Hmmn, I think you mean me? Anna and D don't have hair to tie up? Sorry you didn't make the table, disgustingly close and a great run by you.

I DO MEAN YOU!! Sorry! Your user names always confuse me. I know both your names and who's who in real life :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I DO MEAN YOU!! Sorry! Your user names always confuse me. I know both your names and who's who in real life :).

whew, that's a relief :D

annapr wrote:
    whew, that's a relief

Huh? Why so relieved? You got to be ME!

Huh? Why so relieved? You got to be ME!

:pac: :pac:

I'm the one with the nice hair too.
    Great to see you Helen and am sure will see you before Jingle Bells. Sorry about the 3 seconds, cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

For those in the Greystones area another opportunity to tick off your mile time

https://www.facebook.com/events/476183709210375/
    Kilcoole Athletic Club will hire Charlesland Athletic Track for 2 hours on 10 October, between 12.00 – 2.00 pm (note - latest possible time for entry is 1.45 pm), to host a ‘run a mile…’ charity event. During this time the track will be available for everybody – runners and non-runners – to come along, ‘run (or walk) a mile’, and make a financial contribution (suggested donation – adults €10; children €any) to aid the most vulnerable of refugees. Participants can race it, run it, jog it, or walk it, and can even cut it short if a mile is too much of a challenge. It will be open to all ages, and every cent raised will go to UNICEF’s children’s refugee fund. It will be a fun event, so we ask you to make a special effort to come along on the day and ‘run your mile’, and would be delighted if you could advertise this event as widely as possible among your family and friends. Track rules determine that appropriate running shoes and loose clothing must be worn.

I'm the one with the nice hair too.
    Great to see you Helen and am sure will see you before Jingle Bells. Sorry about the 3 seconds, cruel.

I SAID YOU ALL HAD NICE HAIR!!!:):)

I SAID YOU ALL HAD NICE HAIR!!!:):)

it's ok, Helen, I'm not sensitive.. :p

it's ok, Helen, I'm not sensitive.. :p

With friends like aquinn, (and her hair-competing!) you wouldn't want to be :):):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

2016 table coming up. Well done all on keeping the table alive in 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I just ask one little thing. Please:)

Whoever starts the 2016 version of this and if it's in its current form (gender specific) can we PLEASE not call it the 'Ladies' table?
    Anything else will do.

'Womens' for instance would be great!
    thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »

Whoever starts the 2016 version of this and if it's in its current form (gender specific) can we PLEASE not call it the 'Ladies' table?
    Anything else will do.

thanks in advance.

Completely agree, who wants to be a lady??? :p

Looks like we might have to burn our bras. Who's in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'll be a witness if needs be!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

tang1 wrote: »
    I'll be a witness if needs be!!!!

Such a gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Absolutely.

Not our sports bras though, right ;) ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Absolutely.

:D priorities good, + 1 to the bra burning

I'm in. We had this discussion last year and it resonated. I'm still up for a gender-free joint table/thread between novice-graduates and intermediates (intermediate in this case meaning between graduate and 'the other one '. I liked the graduates table last year but I think it needs to come out of the closet and be visible this year.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Nope. Too bloody expensive for that.

Great. Looks like we have a nice little group lined up for the old bra burning. Time and place tbc.

Or, the thread title could be changed RQ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Anything else will do.

thanks in advance.

Serious question girls/ladies/women - what is the issue with the word 'ladies'. I genuinely don't see the problem. Have we all gone that insecure as a gender that we need to watch things like this ? Genuinely interested in responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

kit3 wrote: »
    Serious question girls/ladies/women - what is the issue with the word 'ladies'. I genuinely don't see the problem. Have we all gone that insecure as a gender that we need to watch things like this ? Genuinely interested in responses

I would refer to myself as a woman, not a lady. Lady is the equivalent to gentlemen and really, who uses that? For me, lady is a term that was used in a social class we don't have here so its not relevant. That's just my opinion. If we had a gentlemens round table it would equal things out (and I'm all for equality of the sexes) but how would we fill it if we called it that......

Cambridge Dictionary meaning of the word 'lady':
    a ​polite or ​old-fashioned way of referring to or ​talking to a woman:
    There's a ​young lady here to ​see you.
    Mind ​your ​language - there are ladies ​present!
    Say "​thank you" to the lady, ​children.
    old-fashioned Is the lady of the ​house (= the most ​important or only woman who ​lives in the ​house) at ​home?

This is 2016. 'nuff said.

Firedance wrote: »
    I would refer to myself as a woman, not a lady. Lady is the equivalent to gentlemen and really, who uses that? For me, lady is a term that was used in a social class we don't have here so its not relevant. That's just my opinion. If we had a gentlemens round table it would equal things out (and I'm all for equality of the sexes) but how would we fill it if we called it that......

Interesting that the thread started out with the word 'women' in the title & was actually changed to 'ladies' by a female (careermove) :pac: Must say it doesn't bother me although I do object to the word 'chick' :mad:

Cambridge Dictionary meaning of the word 'lady':

This is 2016. 'nuff said.

And the Oxford dictionary would tell you that it's a polite or formal way of referring to a woman ......

Good to see that there was nothing abusive I was missing. That would have been a concern !

Murph_D wrote: »

Interesting article which seems to contend that more people have a problem with the word woman (& is discouraging this). I do hope you are not suggesting that the title be changed to 'Uterused persons round numbers 2016' :P

• Advertisement

You can be certain that I'm not. But it's up to the wimmin. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    You can be certain that I'm not. But it's up to the wimmin. ;)

That might just work 'Wimmins' 10 round numbers ...' Not a lady in sight & the bras might be safe ;)

That might just work 'Wimmins' 10 round numbers ...' Not a lady in sight & the bras might be safe ;)

That would have to be wimmin's ... :p

That would have to be wimmin's ... :p

So you're ok with the rest of it ? That's good - might just be a solution ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hopefully the 2016 edition of this thread will have less of this pointless debate, and more actual athletic achievement to discuss and inspire others. Just 5 women made it onto this table this year, comprising just 15 performances. That is not good, yet this thread has more posts than the main one. Sort it out women/ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Interesting that the thread started out with the word 'women' in the title & was actually changed to 'ladies' by a female (careermove) :pac: Must say it doesn't bother me although I do object to the word 'chick' :mad:

I don't give a continental what you call it either. I called it the 'ladies' thread when I was asked to open it in 2014. Some of the women who are complaining about the title 'lady/ladies' were obviously not brought up playing sport as it is a commonly used description in a number of sports for example:
    Hockey https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Senior_Cup_(ladies%27_hockey)
    Gaa http://ladiesgaelic.ie
    Horse racing http://www.fairyhouse.ie/Fairyhouse/News/Ladbrokes-Irish-Grand-National-Leading-Ladies-of-Racing-Named/
    None of the girls/women/ladies involved in the above sports, that I am friends with, have any kind of an inferiority complex about the term :)

I don't give a continental what you call it either. I called it the 'ladies' thread when I was asked to open it in 2014. Some of the women who are complaining about the title 'lady/ladies' were obviously not brought up playing sport as it is a commonly used description in a number of sports for example:
    Horse racing http://www.fairyhouse.ie/Fairyhouse/News/Ladbrokes-Irish-Grand-National-Leading-Ladies-of-Racing-Named/
    None of the girls/women/ladies involved in the above sports, that I am friends with, have any kind of an inferiority complex about the term :)

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Some of the women who are complaining about the title 'lady/ladies' were obviously not brought up playing sport as it is a commonly used description in a number of sports for example:

But we're talking about athletics/running where it is generally not a commonly used description. I've yet to see a set of race results where the term is used. 'Women' or 'F'/'Female' is more usual and always alongside the equivalent 'Men' or 'M'/'Male'. I don't have an inferiority complex about the term, and I grew up playing lots of teams sports (badly :o). The day we have a Gentlemen's Ten Round Numbers Table might be the day to concede, but until then...?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hopefully the 2016 edition of this thread will have less of this pointless debate, and more actual athletic achievement to discuss and inspire others. Just 5 women made it onto this table this year, comprising just 15 performances. That is not good, yet this thread has more posts than the main one. Sort it out women/ladies.

why should this thread be any different than many other threads around here? :p

• Advertisement

Irrelevant point and you don't know that anyway.

It has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, it's a matter of disliking a term that carries some associations with it. It's not that big a deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

WTF....all this over a thread title. No...it's staying as ladies. Christ. Ladies is used all the time in athletics. I can't believe people are even talking about this. Is this debate for real??

WTF....all this over a thread title. No...it's staying as ladies. Christ. Ladies is used all the time in athletics. I can't believe people are even talking about this. Is this debate for real??

I thought it was a public Internet forum where people can talk about whatever they want, so long as they are not breaking the charter rules.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I thought it was a public Internet forum where people can talk about whatever they want, so long as they are not breaking the charter rules.

Where did I say you can't talk about it? I said it's ridiculous. It is actually breaking the charter rules, as it has totally dragged the thread off topic. Last three pages are nothing to doing with the 10 round numbers, people attempting them or talking about races..it's people objecting to the term lady, for some reason that is totally bizarre to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Jaysus. Change the other thread to gentlemens round numbers. Nobody will give a bollix and all all will be equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Surely, if most women contributing to the thread want it to be called the women's round numbers thread, then that should be the determining factor?

It's an important debate.

"Ladies" is an archaic term.

• Advertisement

Where did I say you can't talk about it? I said it's ridiculous. It is actually breaking the charter rules, as it has totally dragged the thread off topic. Last three pages are nothing to doing with the 10 round numbers, people attempting them or talking about races..it's people objecting to the term lady, for some reason that is totally bizarre to me.

Like I said, not that big a deal. The original comments were lighthearted but it appears to have wound people up a lot. Looks like you have made your decision anyway... I don't suppose you'd consider adding an apostrophe* though?

*runs for cover... Scuttles back to slow training log and away from real athletics

I asked the question but haven't seen any argument that convinces me it should be changed. Careermove's post made most sense to me

Ladies terminology

It's all about context. Over the last 100 years, there have been many uses and inferences of the term.

It would have had social class origins certainly, however ownership of the term has changed, depending on the wider historical and contemporary contexts.

For example, contemporaneously from the 60s/70s a bit of class inversion: dinner lady and cleaning lady but never lady doctor. The use of the term has inspired quite heated debate in feminist circles.

In athletics, the feel is generally a throw back to older times but whereas there are no longer 'gentlemen runners' (there were), lady runners :rolleyes: seems to have stuck.

Just because it is a standardised description in other sports doesn't mean it can't be challenged here.

The terminology used in hockey, GAA and horse racing is arguably of class origin: hockey from the turn of the 19C, GAA similarly and horse racing...well, not really an working class estate sport, is it?!
    We have to look at the evolution of the usage of the two former in terms of 'the betterment of the working classes', a common gentrification drive since the 1700s, personified in societies such as 'the Reformation of Manners'.

It is not so much that the term here is offensive (I find the use of the term 'girls' to describe grown women slightly offensive but it depends who is doing the using...), more that there is enough consensus among those who will be actually using this table to suggest that the term is inappropriate.

Jaysus. Change the other thread to gentlemens round numbers. Nobody will give a bollix and all all will be equal.

No thanks. I ain't no gen'lmon....

Oh and PS, this is not off topic imo, it relates directly to the thread title. If the 'ladies' bit wasn't in the title, welllll.....;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement