Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Direct Dublin City-Kilkenny-Waterford Bus Service

Options
  • 09-12-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin Bus launch new service between Dublin and KK non stop and direct via the motorway, great boost to Kilkenny;
    http://www.dublincoach.ie/news.php#52

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

road_high wrote: »
    Dublin Bus launch new service between Dublin and KK non stop and direct via the motorway, great boost to Kilkenny;
    http://www.dublincoach.ie/news.php#52

I thought there would have been one that would get you into Dublin City Centre before 9am. Shame.

Any news on how much a return ticket is?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Don't know anything about fares but they don't accept free travel passes so I'll be staying on the train

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Don't know anything about fares but they don't accept free travel passes so I'll be staying on the train

God forbid people would have to pay for a service alright :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Will fares work out cheaper than Bus Éireann? I don't know much about Dublin Coach I presume they're a private company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

thelad95 wrote: »
    Will fares work out cheaper than Bus Éireann? I don't know much about Dublin Bus, I presume they're a private company?

far as i know they are run by the same people who run air coach...and all the quick parks around the country..so yes private..

• Advertisement

€20 return, not bad and cheaper than the train.

€20 return, not bad and cheaper than the train.

Dearer than Bus Eireann but probably worth it for the hour odd it cuts off the journey.

Dearer than Bus Eireann but probably worth it for the hour odd it cuts off the journey.

Bus Eireann are stuck in a time-warp bless them, still all going via the old Castlecomer Athy route which on a good day takes two hours.

Bus Eireann are stuck in a time-warp bless them, still all going via the old Castlecomer Athy route which on a good day takes two hours.

What if people from Castlecomer or Athy want to go to Dublin by bus..? :confused:

To be fair to Bus Eireann, they do occasionally run express services to Kilkenny.

What if people from Castlecomer or Athy want to go to Dublin by bus..? :confused:

To be fair to Bus Eireann, they do occasionally run express services to Kilkenny.

Any time I've used the majority of people were Kilkenny passengers, don't see why the rest of us should suffer to give small towns with a fraction of the population a rolls royce service? The Bus Eireann routing makes no sense and they've even acknowledged that themselves with a few direct motorway runs, especially to the airport.
    Kilkenny city badly needed a direct Dublin daily service via the motorway and now thankfully it does. Handy link to Waterford also.

• Advertisement

Any time I've used the majority of people were Kilkenny passengers, don't see why the rest of us should suffer to give small towns with a fraction of the population a rolls royce service? The Bus Eireann routing makes no sense and they've even acknowledged that themselves with a few direct motorway runs, especially to the airport.
    Kilkenny city badly needed a direct Dublin daily service via the motorway and now thankfully it does. Handy link to Waterford also.

The bus Eireann routes do make sense. You obviously haven't gotten the bus Eireann bus on a Friday or a Sunday, there are always loads of college students from Athy going to Dublin and vice versa. Small towns do need to be serviced and Bus Eireann should continue to do so as they're the only company who can survive the inevitable loss from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I use it to go to Dublin, Comer would be the nearest bus stop to me. Weird thing turns out the availability of a public service shouldn just be limited to the public that live in cities

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This is one of the reasons that Bus Eireann should not fall into private hands. The small towns would loose their links with larger urban areas because it may not be profitable to service them. If they were to put on a few express services who would suffer?,where would the extra coaches come from to facilitate this service?. Fair play to this new crowd but there has to be a balance and we cannot let English companies how to run our bus services. This just shows what would happen if BE was sold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

don't see why the rest of us should suffer to give small towns with a fraction of the population a rolls royce service?

Take the high road much??
    just because you live in a city, sorry glorified town..you have such disregard for the people living in small villages and towns around you..the sooner kilkenny gets a proper public local bus service to serve the city and the villages etc the better..kilkenny the only small city/town with no local bus service..

JJ Kavanagh also provides a great service, even though it's a private company. It still serves Castledermot and other little stops along the way. Great to have this new express service too, - but I hope it doesn't put Kavanaghs out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

inthehat wrote: »
    JJ Kavanagh also provides a great service, even though it's a private company. It still serves Castledermot and other little stops along the way. Great to have this new express service too, - but I hope it doesn't put Kavanaghs out of business.

Eh they take 4 hours to get to Dublin. Only any way useful if you want to travel to somewhere along the way but painful if you want to go to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Not everybody that gets on the bus or train in Waterford or Kilkenny travel all the way to Dublin. The world doesn't start or finish in Dubland.. People have family all over the place,not just between Kilkenny,Waterford and Dublin but in every town between cork and Donegal,Kerry and Mayo etc. there is always a quicker and prob cheaper way to travel between the major urban areas....but don't forget the small rural places. People not only live there,they have family who depend on public transport to visit them and God forbid they may want to travel themselves!.

While Bus Eireann should continue to run services through small towns, it's been clear for some time that there is sufficient demand to operate a profitable express service from Dublin to Kilkenny and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

I had hoped that this new service would allow me travel from Cork to Kilkenny by bus without excessive delay. When I checked in the past I saw that the cork express bus arrived in Waterford at 10.55 which made it impossible to get the 11 am train to Kilkenny. Alas I see the new bus will leave at 11 too which means a possible 2 hour wait for the net one. Any ideas? Incidentally how long would it take to go from bus station to the railway for an elderly couple?

Anybody use it yet? Today was the inaugural service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Used it today, its great. Was only a couple of people on the bus though so hopefully word will spread. Its so much better than Kavanaghs or Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I got it home from Dublin yesterday. There was me and one other person on it, and the driver actually rang the head office to tell them there were passengers on board! I hope they don't cancel the service before I have time to use my return journey. Very good service though.

They dont seem to have advertised it much. Was talking to the driver earlier and he said the same thing happened with their Limerick service, it was absolutely dead for the first while and then it took off. They need to do better with advertising this route, for sure.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    They dont seem to have advertised it much. Was talking to the driver earlier and he said the same thing happened with their Limerick service, it was absolutely dead for the first while and then it took off. They need to do better with advertising this route, for sure.

Apart from Facebook and here, I've heard or seen nothing. They need to have a proper launch of the service, asi t really is an excellent addition, especially during the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tibolt

5 of us were waiting at the bus shelter in Ormonde Rd. (There was a Kavanagh's bus parked in the bus bay, which might have obscured the shelter.) The Dublin Coach came along, slowed down and then drove off without stopping!! F*** that. We had to wait 45 minutes and get a Bus Eireann instead. If you need to be somewhere ON TIME, don't rely on this shower.

tibolt wrote: »
    5 of us were waiting at the bus shelter in Ormonde Rd. (There was a Kavanagh's bus parked in the bus bay, which might have obscured the shelter.) The Dublin Coach came along, slowed down and then drove off without stopping!! F*** that. We had to wait 45 minutes and get a Bus Eireann instead. If you need to be somewhere ON TIME, don't rely on this shower.

I'd suggest contacting them directly via their Facebook page or website/email to make them and their driver aware of this. He really should have stopped to double check.

tibolt wrote: »

You'd be as well to actually tell Dublin Coach this so that it doesnt happen again, rather than bitch about it on Boards. I'm sure the driver just didnt see you. Its an excellent service and I really hope it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tibolt

And who says I didn't tell them.
    As I mentioned there were 5 of us at the bus stop, so the driver should have seen us.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome the service - more options and more competition, but the service has to be reliable. (It has been running for less than 2 weeks, so it's a bit early to deduce that it's an "excellent service".) Time will tell.
    Pity it doesn't continue from the City Centre to the Airport. (Their Portlaoise service, incidentally, goes to the Airport.)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

You can change at the red cow and get on the Portlaoise bus to continue on to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Chah

Does the 7.45 bus get into dublin city centre in 1 1/2 hrs? Or does it get caught in rush hour?

Advertisement