Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Direct Dublin City-Kilkenny-Waterford Bus Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hi,

I want to travel to Kilkenny-Waterford-Kilkenny on 31 jan.

Where is Kilkenny Ormonde bustop exactly located please?

Is buseirean better than Dublincoach? any delays with dublincoach?

Are you local to Kilkenny? Ormonde bus stop is outside Ormonde college.

Price and comfort wise, Dublin bus is miles ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Kind of new local to Kilkenny, moved here recently. :o

Is it this bus stop?
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ormonde+College/@52.648414,-7.251971,3a,75y,300.87h,69.07t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sd2FvdLySyqi7oRfvFWhLfg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x7fe1b662251b8245!6m1!1e1
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Are you local to Kilkenny? Ormonde bus stop is outside Ormonde college.

Price and comfort wise, Dublin bus is miles ahead.

Yep but if you're going to Waterford, you'll be on the other side of the road. One side goes to Dublin, the other to Waterford if you know what I mean.

Great info.
    so this is the stop which goes towards Waterford. Am I right?
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.648495,-7.251907,3a,75y,141.08h,79.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUDKe9gE6yMtDM-Ee14PaCA!2e0!6m1!1e1
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Yep but if you're going to Waterford, you'll be on the other side of the road. One side goes to Dublin, the other to Waterford if you know what I mean.

Yea, - the Kilkenny-Waterford stop is at the left side as you go up towards St Patrick's church. My experience is that the bus comes fairly sharp - maybe even a few minutes early - and flies past before you know it. And it may even have the wrong destination displayed (i.e. it may say "Dublin via Kilkenny" when it's actually going to Waterford via Kilkenny). So be there early and stick your hand out to stop it even if you're not sure if it's going the right way. It's a green bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

How good is the wifi on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hi,

I want to travel to Kilkenny-Waterford-Kilkenny on 31 jan.

Where is Kilkenny Ormonde bustop exactly located please?

Is buseirean better than Dublincoach? any delays with dublincoach?

It's leagues ahead. Beats their journey time by almost an hour, takes the motorway, doesn't stop (only at Red Cow Luas). I'm not sure why anyone would use BE only if they had free travel I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

WiFi is grand, getting 3.5mb at the moment on it which is good enough for browsing

Looks like Bus Eireann will be following them up the M9 soon if this is anything to go by;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/fears-over-pending-changes-to-bus-services-1-6552514

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I'm confused by some of the posts above!

Where exactly is the stop for going from Kilkenny to Dublin?

Also, do you need to book in advance or is the cash fair the same?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »

Ormonde College. Apparently you have to flag him down which is pretty bad form to be honest.

Nope, pay in cash on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I'm confused by some of the posts above!

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to book in advance. There is a stop at Eddie Rockets, saw them picking up yesterday. For waterford they continue up John St. And I assume turn at the Blue Bar,and for Dublin they come down JohnSt.and around the roundabout at Eddie Rockets to the bus stop,pick up and turn left up the dublin rd.

See headlines on the KK People stating/confirming that Castlecomer will no longer be served by Bus Eireann. I'd imagine there may be some compromise here as some services may still serve that route, but the reality is that with the opening of the M9, as it effectively bypassed the N78, there is demand for direct services serving mainly Kilkenny and Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

road_high wrote: »
    See headlines on the KK People stating/confirming that Castlecomer will no longer be served by Bus Eireann. I'd imagine there may be some compromise here as some services may still serve that route, but the reality is that with the opening of the M9, as it effectively bypassed the N78, there is demand for direct services serving mainly Kilkenny and Clonmel.
    Surely here's an opening for a private operator to run a mini-bus with greater frequency!

catbear wrote: »
    Surely here's an opening for a private operator to run a mini-bus with greater frequency!

The sad reality is that an awful of the passengers in a town like Castlecomer are on free travel passes. Private operators understandably have very little interest in serving their needs and this is why BE is heading that way too. Anyone from Clonmel or Kilkenny where the bulk of passengers come from is not interested in sitting on a bus going via this route for much longer times when there is a motorway which is much quicker and direct running in parallel. This happened in Urlingford as well when the M8 bypassed it and ran direct from Cork/Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I have really high hopes for this service.

I have a friend coming from Dublin to Kilkenny on Friday evening and I recommended this over the train or bus eireann, hopefully it'll be good.

Just wondering has anyone taken the 6pm service from Dublin city centre; it says it gets in to McDonagh junction at 7.30pm. Is that accurate, don't want to be sitting away for ages for him.

Meathlass wrote: »
    I have really high hopes for this service.

I have a friend coming from Dublin to Kilkenny on Friday evening and I recommended this over the train or bus eireann, hopefully it'll be good.

Just wondering has anyone taken the 6pm service from Dublin city centre; it says it gets in to McDonagh junction at 7.30pm. Is that accurate, don't want to be sitting away for ages for him.

I've used it twice and to be fair the timetables are almost bang on, bar 5 mins or so. Might be a stretch though coming out of Dublin at that time on a Friday eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I've used it twice and to be fair the timetables are almost bang on, bar 5 mins or so. Might be a stretch though coming out of Dublin at that time on a Friday eve.

Yeah that's my concern. According to the timetable it's a 1.5 hour journey regardless of the time of day you travel at which is frankly ridiculous.

They have a handy app that gives real time info too. Be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Used this last Monday 10 euro up to Dublin. Left at 11.50 was up in Dublin before 1.30 . Great journey about 10 people on it. Will use again no doubt.

• Advertisement

I see the buses lately, seem to be a few more people on them now which is good. Word must be getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah was quite busy today when I was on it, hopefully word is spreading a bit. By far the best service to the Kilkenny/Waterford area around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

My car is sick so used this service yesterday morning to get to dub from kk. Only 9 people on the bus though, great service, quick and good value, would actually consider it instead of driving more regularly

Planning to go from KK (ormonde st.) to Dublin airport.

I saw on their website that I have to change bus at Red Cow. What if the bus is late due to traffic and i miss connection bus? Or do they wait for the bus to arrive?

Any experience on this route, please? I dont want to miss the flight.

Also, is it cheaper to book online on their website? It shows 30 euros for return back to Kilkenny.

Took JJ Kavanagh in the past which is more expensive but it was a direct journey.

The day I used the bus it was bang on time arriving into Luas stop at the Red Cow. I imagine it's scheduled so that the buses wait/connect with each other and as far as I know the connecting bus then goes directly (via the motorway) to the airport.
    I paid on the bus, - €20 return from KK to Dublin city, - I don't think it would have been cheaper online.
    Get a few more opinions though cos I can only speak for the one occasion I used it, - especially if you're going to be anxious about missing your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

no it's the same price on line as from the driver. if you tell the driver your goin to airport and if he is late he will phone ahead for connection bus to wait, but busses are timed even if he is ten mins late ya still make connection. it great service have used it few times

linny wrote: »
    no it's the same price on line as from the driver. if you tell the driver your goin to airport and if he is late he will phone ahead for connection bus to wait, but busses are timed even if he is ten mins late ya still make connection. it great service have used it few times

Is it extra to go to Airport or same price as city centre?

Is it extra to go to Airport or same price as city centre?

its 10 euro to city centre and redcow luas stop where ya change to airport bus which is another 5 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Are times at weekends the same as during the week? Hoping to use this weekend.

• Advertisement

Advertisement