Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place for car servicing?

Options
  • 09-12-2014 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

(Mods, I know I've posted this in the motoring forum but figured it might get recommendations here as well, given that it's a local sorta thing)

My NCT is up in January, want to get it serviced before that. Looking for recommendations (I presume has to be by PM mods?) for someone on the northside. Ideally not a rip-off merchant!

Need a standard service, plus I'm looking to get brakes done and think the CV boot needs replacing and repacking of the joint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

To be honest, i'd do the NCT and then get the service done. Use the NCT to identify what's wrong first, ok so it might mean a fail but it would ensure that you only get things fixed that really need fixing.

Martin McGowan on Windsor Avenue in Fairview is great, good value and very thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it's an older car, and you know what needs to be done, then Summerhill Spares at the back of LIDL on the Malahide Road is good for getting second hand parts. They can fit the part also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

To be honest, i'd do the NCT and then get the service done. Use the NCT to identify what's wrong first, ok so it might mean a fail but it would ensure that you only get things fixed that really need fixing.

Martin McGowan on Windsor Avenue in Fairview is great, good value and very thorough.

Tbh I have no intention really of foregoing its annual service. If a mechanic uncovers something that needs to be fixed/worked on/replaced that wouldn't be uncovered by an NCT, well then it still needs to be done regardless of whether the NCT will uncover it or not. Like, I get what you're saying about cost, but I just think it's a false economy (and potentially dangerous) to forego maintenance just because it won't crop up on the NCT...

Thanks for the garage suggestions though, will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

AG Autos in Blanch, I can personally stand over this guy, He will even lend you a car if your of the road. pm me for more details..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Tbh I have no intention really of foregoing its annual service. If a mechanic uncovers something that needs to be fixed/worked on/replaced that wouldn't be uncovered by an NCT, well then it still needs to be done regardless of whether the NCT will uncover it or not. Like, I get what you're saying about cost, but I just think it's a false economy (and potentially dangerous) to forego maintenance just because it won't crop up on the NCT...

Thanks for the garage suggestions though, will check them out.

Sorry I'm not suggesting not getting the car serviced, i'm saying to use the NCT to uncover any specific failures and then get the car serviced using that information. It's cheaper to do 2 NCTs than have the car serviced twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Sorry I'm not suggesting not getting the car serviced, i'm saying to use the NCT to uncover any specific failures and then get the car serviced using that information. It's cheaper to do 2 NCTs than have the car serviced twice.

Ah okay I get you :). Will probably do something like this next year, just this year is a bit on the busy side for me having gone back to college so I need it to just pass the damned thing (and can't afford for her to break down). Plus there seems to be huge demand for appointments and I could barely get one before the expiry date even though I was booking 2 months in advance (I mean seriously, surely at this stage they know when the demand is!). Only bought the car this year so I didn't get automatically put in for an appointment and it was only when I heard the ads on the radio saying to book the appointment that I went and booked. Madness! Pure madness! And then if you don't have it done on time you can get penalty points for it :eek: even though booking 1/6 of the year in advance may not be good enough :eek:

Advertisement