Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lathe

Options
  • 09-12-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi all,

Full time lurker on this forum, and love it. Looking for some advise here if anyone can provide.
    Loved wood turning in school, did it at some level for the 6 years of school and got to do it for probably 2 years in college. Have since (4 years) had zero access to any equipment, and completely gone away from the practice. I recently decided, probably from reading this forum, that I would like to get back into wood turning. Can anyone offer advise on where best to purchase from. Some information:
    Single phase 13 amp is my only available power supply.
    Live on a farm so have bits and pieces of tools, but have no woodworking specific tools, so advise on what is needed outside of the actual lath to get going would be appreciated.
    Am more interested in bowl work than anything else.
    Can anyone suggest a lathe that is suited or where best to go. Am open to second hand if it wont cause more hardship than its worth!!! :)
    I'd like to try and get a machine and chisels for less than EUR300 if possible.
    Located in kilkenny.

P.s. these are the machines I've come across so far, if you wouldnt mind can you please tell me what are the main concerns or issues you would have with them.

https://www.whraitt.ie/p/rp_woodturning_starter_package (dearer than Id like)
    http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworking-whats-hot-new-arrivals-whats-new-in-woodworking-woodturning-lathe-with-1-2hp-high-torque-induction-motor+dk6730?showdelivery=y
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awsl-woodturning-lathe

Any advise greatly appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 timbertim88

hi the only lathe under a few grand that will stand the test of time and serve the most demanding jobs, like huge out of balance bowls etc is the union graduate. fantastic lathe it weighs around 1/3 of a ton, i have a long bed and a shortbed bowl lathe they turn 20" diameter bowls with ease, they are a bit out of your budget but i would urge you to consider one as nearly all modern lathes are lightweight sheet steel and plagued with vibration when turning, you could get a bowl only lathe with digital variable speed for 1000. you will never look back with a graduate and will probably sell it for more than you pay as they are quite hard to source and hugely in demand. buy cheap buy twice :-)
    let me know if your interested in buying one
    kind wishes
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

hi the only lathe under a few grand that will stand the test of time and serve the most demanding jobs, like huge out of balance bowls etc is the union graduate. fantastic lathe it weighs around 1/3 of a ton, i have a long bed and a shortbed bowl lathe they turn 20" diameter bowls with ease, they are a bit out of your budget but i would urge you to consider one as nearly all modern lathes are lightweight sheet steel and plagued with vibration when turning, you could get a bowl only lathe with digital variable speed for 1000. you will never look back with a graduate and will probably sell it for more than you pay as they are quite hard to source and hugely in demand. buy cheap buy twice :-)
    let me know if your interested in buying one
    kind wishes
    tim

Hi Tim, cheers for the reply. Im not that familiar with that make of lathe, I havent seen it crop up so far. DO you have a link to an example of one of these?

Cheers

sorry forgot to comment on your 3 lathes..... dont touch them :-) very underpowerd and not suitable for bowls at all they are hobby lathes mainly aimed at small spindle work. for bowls look for a motor at 3/4 hp /.55kw and must be chunky as possible those little ones will walk themselves around workshop with a bowl on. happy hunting
    tim

just google LRE union graduate, they are the only people still supplying them, theyre in uk but i bring some over from time to time and sell privately here, as there is such a massive demand for them over here. dont worry i dont charge the same prices as LRE !

just google LRE union graduate, they are the only people still supplying them, theyre in uk but i bring some over from time to time and sell privately here, as there is such a massive demand for them over here. dont worry i dont charge the same prices as LRE !

Can you give me a couple of estimates or some recent prices you sold on machines for. PM if you dont want to advertise. Cheers

• Advertisement

about 1000 for bowl only
    1500 for crucifix shortbed bowl lathe with 20" between centers
    1600 for full lathe 40" bed and outbaord bowl turning 20" diameter
    all variable speed with new motors/inverters with warranty
    thanks

about 1000 for bowl only
    1500 for crucifix shortbed bowl lathe with 20" between centers
    1600 for full lathe 40" bed and outbaord bowl turning 20" diameter
    all variable speed with new motors/inverters with warranty
    thanks

Thanks for that.

To be honest thats just too much for me to invest up front. I;m sure I could be sitting there in 4 years time saying why didnt I just go a bit bigger from the start, but I cant shell out those kind of figures up front. Ill prob go down the second hand route and try and keep it all in for EUR300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Getting a Harrison Graduate for a first lathe is a bit like getting a Rolls Royce for a first car.:D
    I'm afraid your budget will only stretch to a 'hobby lathe' like the Axminster.
    I would shop around for a secondhand dedicated bowl lathe - Vicmarc are highly thought of.
    Have you considered building your own lathe ? If you could source a headstock off ebay the rest is really welding angle iron together and mounting a motor.Food for thought.

Advertisement