Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Primetime - Special needs people getting tortured in a facility

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What strikes me most about that Irish times article is the fact that one staff member had a Masters while another has level 5 fetac. Regardless of education clearly these animals had a love of power and control. That seemed to prevail over actually caring for the residents and putting their training into action. Clearly that Masters is morally not worth the paper its written on (or the fetac for that matter) if you end up treating people like dogs anyway.

The, so called, "masters" of the modern academic working world are often not worth the paper they're written on. They're simply bought degrees, by and large, and are usually completely unreflective of a persons ability of knowledge in a given field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Tony EH wrote: »

That being said, I would very much like to know what was going on in their heads, that they would think that these outrageous moments would somehow be an acceptable form of behaviour.

That is what I keep thinking of, how would you look yourself in the eye, so to speak, knowing that you treated defenceless people like that. Words fail me.
    I'm guessing that those 'carers' were very recognisable, to the local community. I hope that they are treated as they deserve to be treated, like the scum that they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

LynnGrace wrote: »
    That is what I keep thinking of, how would you look yourself in the eye, so to speak, knowing that you treated defenceless people like that. Words fail me.
    I'm guessing that those 'carers' were very recognisable, to the local community. I hope that they are treated as they deserve to be treated, like the scum that they are.
    Yeah there was some chap from swinford on the wireless this morning, he said everyone in the area instantly knew who the carers in question were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

The whole area needs to be investigated the treatment of the most vulnerable need a serious overhaul . I know of one place for the intellectually disabled that is solely run by FAS people on work experience they would have been placed there and sent on silly night courses to let them qualify. I know of one day unit that has more fas back to work people than real trained staff

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Just watched this and I honestly feel sick now. Those responsible need to be named and shamed and brought to Justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Reported in some of tomorrow's papers that some of the people in that PT
    programme have received death threats. Horrible though their treatment of
    the residents was, I do not believe there should be a witch hunt against these
    workers. Some of the worst culprits seem to have been products of an
    educational and social system in which it was the norm for children to be
    shouted at and beaten. They do not seem to have developed past this.
    The culture of cruelty was so embedded in that unit that those higher up
    in the system bear a huge part of the culpability for allowing it to continue.
    Macavity. wrote: »
    The threats have been all over Facebook. I have lost a lot of respect for many people due to some comments made. The idea of them being named and shamed is just ridiculous, and frankly dangerous. Although, the town is small so they will be easily identifiable anyway.

Not excusing what they did though, it was obviously shameful.

Posts like this boggle my mind.

They are at home sitting on their arse earning another pay check off your tax.

I'm not condoning the death threats but they deserve everything and more that they get from the internet, abusing and torturing disabled people who you are caring for is disgusting and if they see fit to make life a living hell for helpless people they can accept whatever people want to do in retaliation.
    They certainly won't get any major punishment from the corrupted courts anyway.
    I'm sure you would have a different tune if you had a disabled family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry very late to the thread here. What I don't get is why when they're on almost a 1-2-1 ratio of staff why they wouldn't actually do something with the residents. They seem to manage to turn what could be a rewarding and fulfilling job into complete boredom for everyone including themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Posts like this boggle my mind.

I don't understand how they boggle your mind? Are you in support of threats against people made on the internet? I'm quite sure they are disingenuous (in many cases primarily for FB likes, really pathetic) but even so I find it pretty distasteful. Of course, you are in favour of whatever "people want to do in retaliation" so I assume you've never been in a mob justice situation, well I have, and it's not pretty.

Obviously, I'm not happy about them living off tax payers money. Ideally their jobs would have been terminated without pay, followed by a court case.
    I'm sure you would have a different tune if you had a disabled family member.

Yes, because you know all about the people in our families. Get off it, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What I don't get is why when they're on almost a 1-2-1 ratio of staff why they wouldn't actually do something with the residents. They seem to manage to turn what could be a rewarding and fulfilling job into complete boredom for everyone including themselves.

proves that they weren't suited for these positions in the first place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

So what became of this absolute disgrace? Was it the usual Irish thing "let's give out for a few days and then brush it under the carpet"?

Heads need to roll for this at various levels :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Dep! wrote: »
    So what became of this absolute disgrace? Was it the usual Irish thing "let's give out for a few days and then brush it under the carpet"?

Lessons have been learned, systems will be implemented, consultants will be consulted, yadda, yadda

But overall, nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Em, we all care about homeless people now. First fine day we can switch to babies, or maybe immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Have you not kept your eye on the HSE decline for the last few years? A few reports will be written but when push comes to shove nothing will happen. Its a thundering disgrace.

So, let me get this straight, the women who slapped, pushed and mentally abused the patients still have a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So, let me get this straight, the women who slapped, pushed and mentally abused the patients still have a job?

Suspended, but I'll bet they're on full pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Any news on how McGinty is gettin' on?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Suspended, but I'll bet they're on full pay.

I doubt they could ever return to any job. If I was the parent of any of those abused Id be doing time by now.

I doubt they could ever return to any job. If I was the parent of any of those abused Id be doing time by now.

Eh, being on full pay I would imagine they won't need another job. Hell, if they were to never return yet still remain under contract, I'm almost certain their pay will still continue to go up in time-related increments. Until their gold-plated retirement kicks in, of course. All courtesy of the tax payer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just like the Rehab affair with Angela Kerins and Frank Flannery. Keep your head down for 12 months and us Irish will forget about everything.

Jesus Christ Flannery has been asked by fine Gael to come back working for them again.

Nobody is ever responsible for anything in this country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think they have had to leave the area, and I think some have left the country. I don't know if they are being paid, I'm only guessing that they are, but that should stop IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I think they have had to leave the area, and I think some have left the country. I don't know if they are being paid, I'm only guessing that they are, but that should stop IMO.

Yes they would be paid until a trial comes up.
    Their unions would ensure this and anyone that I ever knew that got suspended for various reasons always had full pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

monflat wrote: »
    Yes they would be paid until a trial comes up.
    Their unions would ensure this and anyone that I ever knew that got suspended for various reasons always had full pay

Trial? I wasn't aware of their arrests?
    They should most certainly have been charged at the very least but I highly doubt they ever will.

So the consequence for having beaten and abused these people is a fully paid very extended holiday.
    Great, isn't it? :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Smidge wrote: »
    They should most certainly have been charged at the very least but I highly doubt they ever will.

So the consequence for having beaten and abused these people is a fully paid very extended holiday.

Well the nurses involved will be brought up in front of a " fitness to practice" inquiry . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Smidge wrote: »

Unfortunately in this case it's part of due process. Without it you could get all sorts of legal ramifications including wrongful termination and 6-7 figure payouts. So better to play on the safe side for a month or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Sorry very late to the thread here. What I don't get is why when they're on almost a 1-2-1 ratio of staff why they wouldn't actually do something with the residents. They seem to manage to turn what could be a rewarding and fulfilling job into complete boredom for everyone including themselves.

i pity the poor residents, at least for the staff they get out of there and home and socialize, but it must have been hell for the residents no place to run to, had to put up and shut up, could you imagine having to go through that, god help us

I think they have had to leave the area, and I think some have left the country.

Source?

Never has anything that doesnt affect me directly angered me so much as this disgrace. What is the latest on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Source?

Never has anything that doesnt affect me directly angered me so much as this disgrace. What is the latest on this?

The investigation is still ongoing and the staff are still suspended on full pay as far as I´m aware. No disciplinary action will be taken until the investigation is concluded. No time frame has been given for the conclusion of the investigation.

I hope they haven´t left the area. They should be making themselves available to cooperate with a full investigation and not swanning off on a beach somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

5 people to be charged with assault over this

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0511/700332-aras-attracta/

Surprised that there aren't any additional charges of neglect etc tbh =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The maximum penalty for anyone convicted on these charges is a fine of up to €1,905 or up to six months in jail - or both.

It is understood that one of the five people will face a number of charges, with the four others being charged on one count each.

Have that horrible feeling will only be around €1000 fine and a suspended sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

5 people to be charged with assault over this

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0511/700332-aras-attracta/

Surprised that there aren't any additional charges of neglect etc tbh =/

It mentions they were 'suspended'.
    I presume on full pay and benefits?
    If found guilty, will pay be revoked and will they still have their jobs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It mentions they were 'suspended'.
    I presume on full pay and benefits?
    If found guilty, will pay be revoked and will they still have their jobs??

if found guilty they will lose their Garda Clearance so say they must be let go - if this involves a redundancy package i do not know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm very glad to see follow through on this though!
    It's crazy that the service is so broken that such things could even happen.

Always remember this isn't some group of people you'll never encounter either

Anyone of us could be victims of this kind of thing. All it takes is one burst blood vessel in the wrong part of your brain or any number of other neurological illnesses and you too could be a guest of the HSE.

The victims here are "us" and amongst the most vulnerable people in our society too.

I honestly think as a community we need to do a lot more to look out for people in those kinds of situations. Nobody should be in a remote institutional setting, out of sight and isolated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Also, there needs to be some kind of thought putting into what these kinds of places are actually called.

Aras Attracta sounds absolutely horrendous as a name.

It's bad enough that someone has to be cared for in an institutional setting, but they could at least try to make the place sound friendly and fun.

It sort of sums up the attitude from the 'powers that be'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wp_rathead wrote: »
    if found guilty they will lose their Garda Clearance so say they must be let go - if this involves a redundancy package i do not know

The loss of Garda clearance, apart from any conviction, would mean they could never work in such a capacity again.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

I really hope they get the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Couple of recent updates on this case:

From the Irish Examiner:

Áras Attracta care worker did not have training

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/aras-attracta-care-worker-did-not-have-training-375285.html
    Castlebar District Court heard Kathleen King, aged 56, of Knockshanvally, Straide, Foxford, Co Mayo, who was shown in RTÉ footage slapping a resident across the face with a piece of paper and shoving her into a chair, got a pay rise when she went from domestic assistant to care assistant in 2001.

She had completed a course in manual handling in 1998, but didn’t undertake another course until 2014, and never completed Fetac training in caring and communicating for patients.

I'm sorry, but even without appropriate training you should know that hitting people across the face with anything... on purpose I might add... is not due to a lack of training. It is down to the actions of a truly horrible person.

---

From the Independent:

Woman who assaulted Aras Attracta patients feels like 'demon' in her own community, court hears

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-assaulted-aras-attracta-patients-feels-like-demon-in-her-own-community-court-hears-34367595.html
    Brendan McDonagh, counsel, told a District Court sitting in Castlebar, that Joan Gill (62), Dublin Road, Swinford, Co. Mayo, has effectively been “a prisoner in her own home” since film footage covertly filmed by RTE's Investigations Unit was screened by the national broadcaster last year.

God love her. It must be fúcking terrible being an outcast after she assaulted those people in their home.

To be honest, as a final year student hoping to go on and be a social care worker, I'm fúcking sickened by these "people" and I hope they get due punishment.

One good thing might come out of it in that speedy registration for social care work in Ireland might just be rushed along so that they can keep monsters like this out of care homes/day services etc.

Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

On going court case so we'll lock this up for now. Feel free to PM a mod when it's finished and we can open it back up

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement