Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Primetime - Special needs people getting tortured in a facility

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Im going to be shot for saying this but Duckcfc has a point. These people are extremely hard work. I only know this through casual contact with them many years ago. Never worked in the area. Its humans working with humans. I would love to see how some of the posters here would act in similar circumstances.
    I couldn't do it, thats for sure.

So if you were in a carer position would you push, hit, taunt, verbally abuse and bully those you were meant to be looking after? Because that's what was going on in thise videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Im going to be shot for saying this but Duckcfc has a point. These people are extremely hard work. I only know this through casual contact with them many years ago. Never worked in the area. Its humans working with humans. I would love to see how some of the posters here would act in similar circumstances.

Complete and utter bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

And they clearly are not doing it either.... caring for people with disabilities. Have been doing this job for years and never had to lower myself to this disgusting behaviour nor would I have tolerated anyone else behaving in this manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Clearly there has been a massive failure at the HR level within that home. When you have the staff treating the people under their care in such a disgraceful manner something has gone horrifically wrong with the staff training/supervision/stress management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Realistically, could you do what the staff are doing?

That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

o1s1n wrote: »
    What has me absolutely flabbergasted is the fact that there are so many staff members acting like such scummy cnuts.all it takes is one to speak out.

The camera filmed them talking about a former carer who reported them. what they were saying suggested she was let go or gotten rid of somehow.

It's horrific behavior. I really didn't think it would be that bad. These "carers" need to be mads an example of in a court of law. The Primetime host is doing nobody any favors by getting digs in at the HSE lad and being overly aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Are these people going to be prosecuted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I would love to see how some of the posters here would act in similar circumstances.

Im sure many couldn't and shouldnt do it, including me, and that ok not every one can do this kind of work its very specialized, people need proper qualifications and training along with a personality that suits the work.

These people clearly had none of these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Give respect, get respect, we're seeing a 10 min clip, what we don't see is the level of abuse/lack of treatment they have gotten for the last x amount of years, or for most of their lives.

People treating them like crap and then saying look how much "hard work" they are don't understand the issues that have led to their behaviour.

Looking after kids in a creche can be hard work (i didn't see the programe about it), but i'd say you would have a different opinion of the "carers" in a creche treating kids the same way because they are "extremely hard work".

I have no idea how much it was to get cared for in this place, but some places can charge up to 1k a week, how would you fee paying for 1k for relative to be treated like ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

ebbsy wrote: »
    They were not trained right that is for sure.

One was a qualified nurse
    Others had care assistant fetac qualifications.

However it's a shocking culture that goes on there.

It's the done thing sure didn't the "manager " come in and sit on the woman. Restraining her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Quazzie wrote: »
    9 "off duty" means they will get full wages for the time being, and will so for the foreseeable future.

Well done HSE.

Rotten little country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

the HSE need to learn how to fire staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm not watching but how were they getting away with it!? Surely someone with a heart would stand up to tgis crap or at the very least bring it to the attention of superiors, or is that what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Go away Lynch will you. Take the fall. Jesus people in power never take any responsibility for their positions in this cess pit of a nation. Sickening I can hardly listen to the spin anymore.

[individuals e="Ace2007;93380468"]Give respect, get respect, we're seeing a 10 min clip, what we don't see is the level of abuse/lack of treatment they have gotten for the last x amount of years, or for most of their lives.

People treating them like crap and then saying look how much "hard work" they are don't understand the issues that have led to their behaviour.

Looking after kids in a creche can be hard work (i didn't see the programe about it), but i'd say you would have a different opinion of the "carers" in a creche treating kids the same way because they are "extremely hard work".

I have no idea how much it was to get cared for in this place, but some places can charge up to 1k a week, how would you fee paying for 1k for relative to be treated like ****?[/quote]

These places don't charge big money like nursing homes

The individual gets a disability allowance of 188or so aa.week.
    The organisation takes so much for bed and board.
    The rest goes into theindi savings account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

did I pick it up right, did they say that the guy who came in and sat on one of the patients was the bloody manager of the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

pharmaton wrote: »
    the HSE need to learn how to fire staff

The public service in general do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Much like plenty of other cases, the evidence and case stands on its own two feet. Tabloiding it up helps no one. If anything it only causes distraction from the issues.

No being pedantic about it in the first place distracts from the issue, I don't think anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together would assume that they are water boarding and people and pitch capping them from the title of the thread. Torture is an extremely broad term. So let's get back to the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm not watching but how were they getting away with it!? Surely someone with a heart would stand up to tgis crap or at the very least bring it to the attention of superiors, or is that what happened?

one worker did - that worker is no longer working there, says it all really.

The staff actually joked about this said member of staff, and the reason that she is not longer there was because she kept reporting things.

• Advertisement

Absolutely shocking but just as shocking that RTE let this contiune for a period of three weeks to make this program tonight.

Hitchens wrote: »
    did I pick it up right, did they say that the guy who came in and sat on one of the patients was the bloody manager of the place?

YES. He would be a qualified nurse who would have been cnm1 or a higher paid cnm 2......

Bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Complete and utter bullsh!t.

Very succintely put.

Yes he was a manager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Far from it. I think the biggest problem is a lack of education and interaction with people who have special needs. Probably stems from these people being rounded up and hidden away for years.

They're not hard work per say, they just require a different level of understanding.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Yeah

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking but just as shocking that RTE let this contiune for a period of three weeks to make this program tonight.

I understand that but they needed to gather evidence.
    It's terrible thou for over a 3 week period.

What has happened over the years.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

They (the 'carers') referred to a past member of staff who seemingly attempted to blow the whistle to "their detriment" (their words).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

As a parent of a child with a severe disability this is my worse nightmare. How do we act in similar situations? Well for a start we get training. I did a course on children with challenging behaviour. I educated myself & asked for help. Positive interaction & giving a person some control over their lives works wonders.

Those workers make me very angry. They clearly should not be working with vulnerable people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ace2007 wrote: »
    one worker did - that worker is no longer working there, says it all really.

The staff actually joked about this said member of staff, and the reason that she is not longer there was because she kept reporting things.

Christ. I have no words. Poor vulnerable people :(

....so those people are suspended on full pay? ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Who is the red haired women?? minister of something or other??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Lynch should simply say, "I just don't have what it takes for this job and therefore defenceless people are suffering I resign"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

these roles should not be looked upon as jobs but more as vocations

i think these people take on these positions for the wrong reasons i.e. just to have a steady income and hence quickly lose motivation & enthusiasm working in these places

now that's public service broadcasting, kudos to RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Fair play to rte.

Those workers were such dicks.

They had a nice little tv watching club. Any disturbance to that was met with slaps and kicks and verbal abuse.

Where the hell was the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

The camera filmed them talking about a former carer who reported them. what they were saying suggested she was let go or gotten rid of somehow.

Chances are high that there is a bullying envoirment going on among the staff and anyone who doesnt 'playball' gets abused and eventurally fired. HR protect the company and so forth.

As much as I hate the 1984 picture of the future. Sometimes I think cameras everywhere in work places would fix a lot of negitive issues. Bullying is a huge issue in Irish workplaces and bad behaviour is normalised. HR tend to protect the bullys instead of fix the actual problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The contempt shown to patients and the sheer laziness portrayed by the workers was shocking.

They created a handy number for themselves there. The poor patients only got in the way of their little social club.

Unfortunately none of it was surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

He called in to sit on one of the patients

....so those people are suspended on full pay? ffs

Yes it's absolutely terrible and they sit there drinking the and texting all day.

The thing that annoys me is that the indivuals care plan states all these lovely things that those women like to do or could be done to help them.

NOT ONE STAFF did anything in the care plan.

All hiqa do is observe documents and review paperwork and care plans
    If the paperwork is up to date. Staff behave themselves when hiqa inspectors are there no wonder they didn't fare too badly when hiqa arrived to them earlier this year.

Does it take a hidden camera to discover more than a hiqa inspector........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I would love to hear these "carers" try and "justify" their actions. Fúcking dragging someone you're supposed to be caring for across the floor, absolute fúcking disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't highlight it without the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Im sure many couldn't and shouldnt do it, including me, and that ok not every one can do this kind of work its very specialized, people need proper qualifications and training along with a personality that suits the work.

These people clearly had none of these things.
    I knew somebody who was trained in this. A very nice woman. She was torn to tatters by her work with the people like we have seen tonight.
    Im not defending anything shown tonight. Far from it.
    Remember, this is a tv program. We see only a concise version. Im sure its not all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

fryup wrote: »
    these roles should not be looked upon as jobs but more as vocations

i think these people take on these positions for the wrong reasons i.e. just to have a steady income and hence quickly lose motivation & enthusiasm working in these places
    I think you often get a really bad egg or two whose behaviour rubs off on the rest, I guarantee that some of those workers would be completely different people depending on who else they were on shift with. Which is sad really.

Fair play to rte.

Those workers were such dicks.

They had a nice little tv watching club. Any disturbance to that was met with slaps and kicks and verbal abuse.

The manager came in and sat on a woman.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Fallout from Áras Attracta revelations continues

Garda file sent to DPP

Áine Ryan

AS the reverberations from the highly critical HIQA (Health Investigation and Quality Authority) report into standards at Áras Attracta continue, a garda investigation into the death of a former resident will soon be sent to the DPP, The Mayo News can confirm.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20412:fallout-from-aras-attracta-revelations-continue&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

That is from 2012. HIQA, Leo Valkar et alk. Have known about this place for at least 2 years. FFS HIQA what are you at?? And Valkar needn't be feigning shock and disgust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

If you can't do the job properly then you shouldn't be there.
    yellow hen wrote: »
    But that's the point-if you can't do it, you don't put yourself in that position. What those people have done is unforgivable. There is no excuse.

Quoted for truth. There is no nor will there ever be any excuse for the type of behaviour shown.

It's too bad that it's taken until now for this to come to the attention of the general public especially as as another poster stated this particular facility has been on HIQA's radar for quite some time and had supposedly "made improvements".

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20381:assaulted-aras-attracta-staff-may-sue-hse&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I worked in a special needs school for two and a half years as a special needs assistant in a unit for children with autism. After working with a teacher who treated the children in her care in much the same way as has been shown in that doc, myself and another girl decided enough was enough and requested to be moved out of the unit. Our request was met with defiance and two new staff were hired over the summer while school was on break, the catch? neither post was advertised and in order to create them the principal (manager) felt it was necessary to vacate our positions. The two staff hired were nieces of both herself and the teacher in question. When confronted (by myself) on returning to work to find our jobs had been dissolved, I was asked to leave the premises and to not return. A couple of quick phone calls later and the union had mobilised and within 24 hours the manager had resigned. Not fired, resigned.

Following an investigation, same manager was discovered to have embezzled funds donated by charities to the school. I haven't a clue what happened to her, or the funds, but as far as I am aware the teacher involved still works there. i left and was unable to return to working in the field as I felt calling her out would always be held against me by those in power in these institutions.

The comments about staff who report these issues is true, across the public sector, be it the HSE or the Dept of Ed. These people are protected, they can never be fired and much like the pedophile priests of old catholic Ireland will just be moved from one department to the next. Nothing gets fixed, it just continues on down the line and will go on doing so until someone grows a pair and changes the stakes so that these mother fúckers can be held accountable for their actions.

the inmates in the Joy etc treated with kid gloves .......

.....poor wretches in a 'care' home who cannot understand get kicked around :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Suspended staff still getting wages, what a joke.

Let's hope the Residents family sue them for everything. Physical and mental abuse will surely get a nice wedge in Civil court!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement