Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Primetime - Special needs people getting tortured in a facility

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anyone watching it?

How come they're blurring out the faces of those beating and terrifying residents?

They don't blur faces on Crimecall etc... why do it here?

Perhaps its deemed prejudicial to a trial?

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't highlight it without the program.

True. I just couldn't be in there for three weeks filming it, god forbid in that period someone was seriously injured or worse. At least it's out in the opening now and something can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If Gerry Ryan were still alive, he'd have something to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

monflat wrote: »
    I understand that but they needed to gather evidence.
    It's terrible thou for over a 3 week period.

What has happened over the years.....
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    True. I just couldn't be in there for three weeks filming it, god forbid in that period someone was seriously injured or worse. At least it's out in the opening now and something can be done.

The article in breakingnews posted earlier says it was reported after 1 week and the crew pulled out after 3 and offered councelling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I knew somebody who was trained in this. A very nice woman. She was torn to tatters by her work with the people like we have seen tonight.
    Im not defending anything shown tonight. Far from it.
    Remember, this is a tv program. We see only a concise version. Im sure its not all bad.

to be fair. it's not a balancing scale. it they were saints all the other times, it still wouldn't justify striking, bulling and neglect like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hitchens wrote: »
    the inmates in the Joy etc treated with kid gloves .......

.....poor wretches in a 'care' home who cannot understand get kicked around :confused:

Totally agree.

There's absolutely no funding in these places. .
    They have more choice /activities \staff in prisons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

It was obviously filmed with a fixed, hidden camera, nobody was present for the filming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I don't think there was someone hiding in the press for the 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Disgusting behaviour and fair play to RTE but I'm sitting here wondering how many more bungalow 3s are out there as they quite rightly asked on the program. My worry is that all the focus will be on these rogue workers and abuses will continue elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I know someone who got a gig on a Prime Time Investigates. She actually had to apply for a job and "work" in the place in question.
    Pretty nerve-wracking I'd say.

http://blog.brickhousesecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/homer-and-apu-picture.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I am enraged....

I am glad that they have blurred the faces. MOD SNIP: OTT violence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I sincerely hope and expect those who perpetrated such acts of torture are dealt with accordingly by the law.

What compounds this awful neglect is the fact that many of the residents are mute, unable to tell their stories and if it wasn't for the hidden cameras their stories would never be heard.

There is no one that can say the job is not difficult, it requires compassion and dedication, what is absolutely clear is that none of these so called carers show either of these traits.

However I think it's also important to acknowledge that there are many many careers that do and amazing job under difficult circumstances.

It's a sad observation of our society that those that are most vulnerable are the most open to neglect and abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

more of it :
    THE fallout of the HIQA report into the services at the Áras Attracta residential care centre in Swinford could result in former staff taking claims against the HSE for assaults they received from patients.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20381:assaulted-aras-attracta-staff-may-sue-hse&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

monflat wrote: »
    Totally agree.

There's absolutely no funding in these places. .
    They have more choice /activities \staff in prisons

The place itself seemed to be funded ok.
    It looked nice and clean with lots of space and lots of staff.

The staff could have been providing lots of appropriate activities, but were too busy sitting on their arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Phoebas wrote: »

The staff could have been providing lots of appropriate activities, but were too busy sitting on their arses.

Busy nattering by the look of it .Almost one for one staffing level so no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I hope the rotten biches get whats coming to them, evil pscycos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Fair play to rte.

Those workers were such dicks.

They had a nice little tv watching club. Any disturbance to that was met with slaps and kicks and verbal abuse.

Where the hell was the manager

Too busy sitting on the residents he is.

I couldn't watch it in full. I had one eye on the TV while I was pottering around. I saw bits of the program and one where a guy comes in and sits down on someone. It was supposed to be a joke or something. Me and mam were talking of the show after and mam told me, that guy was the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Too busy sitting on the residents he is.

I couldn't watch it in full. I had one eye on the TV while I was pottering around. I saw bits of the program and one where a guy comes in and sits down on someone. It was supposed to be a joke or something. Me and mam were talking of the show after and mam told me, that guy was the manager.

Some manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

Yes , and the usual weak apologies from senior management. The culture of weak management , non responsibility and lack of compassion will continue until we get someone with Balls to take this corrupt organization on . Not a week goes bye without another scandal being exposed . The secretive culture among our "Health Professionals" is a disgrace .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Please don't name names or ask people to find the names of the workers. RTE hid their faces for a reason, for legal reasons they cannot be named here. That's the matter closed, if you have a problem you need to PM an Admin or create a thread in Help Desk/Feedback

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I know someone who got a gig on a Prime Time Investigates. She actually had to apply for a job and "work" in the place in question.
    Pretty nerve-wracking I'd say.

http://blog.brickhousesecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/homer-and-apu-picture.png
    I'm currently working as an intern in the HSE, if Primetime are hiring ;)

(and suitably qualified)

pharmaton wrote: »
    I'm currently working as an intern in the HSE, if Primetime are hiring ;)

(and suitably qualified)

I'm sure Primtime would be happy to take you on for a job bridge internship. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm sure they will have their defensive responses at the ready that they're lacking in funds/resources/facilities and that's why they're so stressed. They seemed happy enough to have them sit in chairs for 14+hours a day while they sat on their holes texting. "Come here have you a bag for the wedding" one woman said to the other after pushing a service user to the ground. Just disgusting primitive behaviour. If this abuse was shown to a member of my family Id hunt them bitches down and wouldn't be responsible for my actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

blacklilly wrote: »
    I sincerely hope and expect those who perpetrated such acts of torture are dealt with accordingly by the law.

What compounds this awful neglect is the fact that many of the residents are mute, unable to tell their stories and if it wasn't for the hidden cameras their stories would never be heard.

There is no one that can say the job is not difficult, it requires compassion and dedication, what is absolutely clear is that none of these so called carers show either of these traits.

However I think it's also important to acknowledge that there are many many careers that do and amazing job under difficult circumstances.

It's a sad observation of our society that those that are most vulnerable are the most open to neglect and abuse.

they wont even loose their pensions

SIPTU will see to it

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I don't think I'll be able to watch it, too upsetting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Plain and simple, these f#ckers need to go. No pensions. No payoffs. Just on your bike. Utter, utter failure.

If you take the job, you deliver. No excuses. Or don't take the f#cking job. Fundamental to the job is the design of systems, processes and controls to avoid this sh!t. We have enough brains in this country to do better than these plonkers; there because of who they know, and not what they know; sitting on tasty salaries. Blood boiling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Complete and utter bullsh!t.

Would you care to expand on that or is that the limit of your debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That was truly awful. The staff seemed to almost take a sadistic pleasure in the cruelty they were inflicting. And their main objectives in their work seemed to be to chat among themselves, chat on their phones and watch TV. I know it is challenging work, but to be fair, there seemed to be plenty of staff. However, the whole work ethic seemed to be....well non-existent. I feel very ashamed, but that guy from the HSE didn't seem that disturbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I'm sure Primtime would be happy to take you on for a job bridge internship. :rolleyes:
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    I actually don't know how to respond to your post because it's so stupid.

In so far as my current experience with the HSE (which I've spent a year studying), my medical records were accessed without authorization and discovered in a colleagues office. waste of time reporting this stuff as it's not like anybody will ever be held accountable while they try to effectively manage out anybody who might be considered a liability. And those in positions of authority continue to get promoted. So yeah, I wouldn't mind being an investigative reporter if the opportunity came along..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

gctest50 wrote: »
    more of it :

You can't be assaulted by a person that is mentally diminished.

They may be able to prove that the centre didn't have the correct procedures in place and could therefore be negligent. But it's not assault.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hard watch,those so called care workers should be named & shamed

How they could possibly go into work everyday doing that? Like I can understand maybe a once-off flare up of frustration and then after that realising you aren't cut out for the job, but to carry on and to phsyically abuse a helpless person? How do they face the visiting families? Or their own families? They must actually look at the patients as less than human, I wonder would they treat a dog the same?

I'm so upset thinking about it. Wish I hadn't read this thread/the news articles before going to bed.

Phoebas wrote: »

They weren't allowed get out of their chairs.

What I mean by funding also is education education... Education.
    It's what some of these people lack.

The place did look bright with pictures hung on walls etc but I suppose I work in an area similar to this.

Some of the staff may have been there years and it shows they have absolute no love care or interest in these people.
    It's so sad.

I understand it is very difficult working with people with autism and challenging behaviour but there was a culture there that management also were involved in.

I could hazard a guess that staff were not rotated either.they could be years with that group.

In one way this is beneficial especially with people with communication difficulties staff that are there years get to know individuals and their ways and of course build up relationship with the person and their families.

What irks me the most is that they probably were writing in their day reports that those women had massage done relaxation therapies
    Went out around the grounds for fresh air etc....

Once it's down on paper that's all some management care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

JRant wrote: »

They may be able to prove that the centre didn't have the correct procedures in place and could therefore be negligent. But it's not assault.

Bollocks. My neighbour was assaulted by a schyzophrenic & your man did porridge because of it. His solicitor said that he shouldn't be found guilty because of his mental illness & both judge & jury rubbished it & convicted him.

All these staff should be sacked ASAP. Not only that but they should be named & shamed. If a teacher in a school behaved in the same way he/she would be vilified for it. It's an utter disgrace, I hope all staff shown tonight die roaring.

I wonder what tipped the RTE off to place the camera in there? Maybe a suspicious family member? Sorry if this is answered in the documentary, didn't watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wonder are they watching tonight in shame or do they even care. I'd say they will be defensive to the last. Id say the staff's families must find it very difficult to support them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I couldn't do that job. I know I dont have the skills and patience required. So I don't do that job. And neither should those horrible, horrible women. Its a career that requires a certain type of person and a lot of training and understanding.

But it is the organisation that has allowed this to happen. RTE didn't just get lucky, this kind of abuse must be habitual, and not isolated to this one place. It seemed far too accepted, with even management joining in the abuse.

danslevent wrote: »
    I wonder what tipped the RTE off to place the camera in there? Maybe a suspicious family member? Sorry if this is answered in the documentary, didn't watch it.

wouldn't be surprised if it was the member of staff who no longer works there because they reported to many things.

JRant wrote: »

You can be assaulted by someone with an intellectual disability.

Why isn't it assault???

They cannot be charged for assault thou unless they show an understanding of their actions.

I know of a few cases where the gardai were involved in a case of assault.
    Nothing was done but guards were called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It starts with management and as we saw in the report the so called manager actually sat on a defenceless woman even though as we were told she didnt like men. That is sadistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

My heart is broken for those poor women. As much as I'd like to kick 7 shades of shít out of those scumbags, I hope they do time for that abuse. Unfortunately I fear the maximum punishment they'll get is lose their jobs if even. Those poor sweet woman they abused :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

A man died there 2 years ago and a judge ordered and investigation in to his death

delw wrote: »
    Hard watch,those so called care workers should be named & shamed

Oh they will be. Once it's been investigated properly everyone will no who they are. The last thing I want to happen is for them to get off on a technicality because some ejit names them in a newspaper or such.

I really hope those poor women are now being taken care of. They looked like they were craving a little human touch but all they got was abuse. Very very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

How they could possibly go into work everyday doing that? Like I can understand maybe a once-off flare up of frustration and then after that realising you aren't cut out for the job, but to carry on and to phsyically abuse a helpless person? How do they face the visiting families? Or their own families? They must actually look at the patients as less than human, I wonder would they treat a dog the same?

I'm so upset thinking about it. Wish I hadn't read this thread/the news articles before going to bed.

I said the same. Any decent person wouldn't dream of treating their dog that way, they'd give them more attention and would look after them properly.

What PrimeTime showed this evening was a complete failure in the system - A complete lack of appraisal and supervision.

You can't help but feel this attitude is widespread. I honestly can't get over the brazen incompetency! You'd get more productivity in all other sectors, their job was to look after vulnerable human beings and they just could not be ****ing arsed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

this is only the tip of the iceberg.
    My partner works as a private care assistant.
    The company she works for takes on Hse job's from time to time. from what she has said to me regarding the care assistants directly employed by the HSE is scary and very upsetting stuff. Service users are frequently left in soiled clothes because the Hse CA's " dont do changing clothes"
    Care books are required to be updated by every CA that attends a service user. Hse Staff will not update care books and refuse to do so.
    This prectice is common place throughout the midland area.
    totally inhumane treatment

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

they wont even loose their pensions

SIPTU will see to it
    They're probably sitting at home pissing themselves laughing at having gotten away with it and suspended on full pay and their identities kept under wraps.

That bloke in charge of the hses excuse was that due process had to be followed.Under most contracts gross misconduct is an instant dismissal not suspension with pay.No clearer case than gross misconduct than what these so called carers did.That minister should also resign aswell but we live in a country where politicians don't resign.
    Absolute disgusting behaviour from people supposed to be caring for these people that can't look after themselves.

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Bollocks. My neighbour was assaulted by a schyzophrenic & your man did porridge because of it. His solicitor said that he shouldn't be found guilty because of his mental illness & both judge & jury rubbished it & convicted him.

All these staff should be sacked ASAP. Not only that but they should be named & shamed. If a teacher in a school behaved in the same way he/she would be vilified for it. It's an utter disgrace, I hope all staff shown tonight die roaring.

Have a read of my post again. I said a mentally diminished person. The judge in that case ruled he was mentally capable of standing trial. So in fact not bollix at all.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I said the same. Any decent person wouldn't dream of treating their dog that way, they'd give them more attention and would look after them properly.

What PrimeTime showed this evening was a complete failure in the system - A complete lack of appraisal and supervision.

You can't help but feel this attitude is widespread. I honestly can't get over the brazen incompetency!

Realistically the only way the HSE/Management can stand over the level of care in all these facilities would be to have each room on 24 hour surveillance to a central location in Ireland.

More than likely 90% of homes like this in Ireland are run the right way, but there is no way other than recording or first hand witness accounts that management can know about it. Some of the patients had no way of communicating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

like majority here I am lost for words.

Now there is training there that could assist staff:
    Client protection
    Studio 3
    Manual handling
    FEDS
    etc.

Hear th

But boils down to human DIGNITY!
    The staff were treating the service users like objects that should stay on shelf.
    Not allowed to even walk around, have to sit in uncomfortable positions.
    It was torture.
    I feel sick after watching it.
    And angry. Way the manager was involved. And then the service user made apoligize to him.
    My God what is wrong with these people..

Think the bit where showed staff smoking inside summed it up the culture in that setting - they felt they were the law and could do as they wish.

Going to bed now, havn't been this pissed off in quite a while:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Hellrazer wrote: »
    They're probably sitting at home pissing themselves laughing at having gotten away with it and suspended on full pay and their identities kept under wraps.

That bloke in charge of the hses excuse was that due process had to be followed.Under most contracts gross misconduct is an instant dismissal not suspension with pay.No clearer case than gross misconduct than what these so called carers did.That minister should also resign aswell but we live in a country where politicians don't resign.
    Absolute disgusting behaviour from people supposed to be caring for these people that can't look after themselves.

No chance, their identities will already be well known in the locality as Swinford wouldn't be a big place.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement