Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry hop vs late additions

Options
  • 09-12-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey folks,

Been doing kits up till now but I moved to extract brewing and I tried this recepie

Steeped 500g Crystal-10 1/2 hour
    3 kg lme
    50 g summit at 1 hour
    25g cascade 30 min
    25g cascade 5 min
    steep 15 mins
    craft series yeast

Deciding weather to dry hop as well as the late additions, looking for a big hoppy IPA. What do ya think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, stick some more cascade in when you rack it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Add another 20-25g at 0 minutes and up the steep to 30 minutes

always dry hop :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

tumblr_inline_n5gmmdx9V11rjf3sr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

I've found that adding 50grm Cascade at 0min for 30 min has a great effect. i did one brew without dry hopping and one where i did and did difference was minimal

Here's the recipe i did
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CxNFBMxOTHXQjTUxveD0rOv7UvhDr5oaT_XPcyG70DQ/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brucy

That looks like a good recepie HMD. The general message seems to be steep some Cascade or similar at 0 minutes and its never any harm to dry hop as well. Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

I'm still experimenting but I found I get great results when dry hopping half ways through the fermentation (day 7 of 14) - it really ads a kick at about 10g hops per 5l.

I find with late hopping it melds in with the flavours so it really depends on whether you want that 'kick in the face' hop experience or not... but as everyone agrees, get the best of both.

I don't find you get the hops kick from any of the commerical beers which is one of the reasons I went to home brewing.

Advertisement