Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub grub in the city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm making no further comment but needless to say that has not been my experience the several times I've been there. But the fact that you immediately mentioned one of the places I was referring to says a lot I think.:)

:confused:

Id have had a similar experience with the service going back a couple of years, miles better nowadays and the food has always been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Are they still doing the gourmet sambos in The Bier Haus? Haven't been there in yonks, but people were going mad for them the last night I was in with a friend.

The Dáil do *some* dishes really well, have fireplaces, and some of the friendliest staff in town. Their pint+ deals are really popular.

Massimos fish and chips are on the spendy side but really delish. Again their pint+ dishes are good

Wasn't gone on Blakes but only had one dish once, food was ok, just seemed overpriced for what it was.

Cellar and Kings Head are grand pubs but food never wowed me, in my head they're meeting not eating pubs. Others love them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

inisboffin wrote: »
    The Dáil do *some* dishes really well, have fireplaces, and some of the friendliest staff in town. Their pint+ deals are really popular.

I like the Dail for those reasons but the 40 inch tellys and loud chart hits just kill the comfy pub vibe. I'm guessing most people don't mind that and I'm just old and contrary. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

whineflu wrote: »
    I like the Dail for those reasons but the 40 inch tellys and loud chart hits just kill the comfy pub vibe. I'm guessing most people don't mind that and I'm just old and contrary. :D

Yeah true it is the one drawback. I choose seats where they are less invasive, and earlier in the day they're often super low (depends who's on).

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thankfully Massimo isnt like your description, great and friendly service, fairly priced food and amazingly tasty. Want their Pork Belly Bap right now, dang.

The food in Massimo's is very good - it's the same people who run Aniar restaurant (the one with the Michelin star) and Cavas, two of my favourite restaurants in town, and both with great service I should add.

However, in my last few visits the service has been very poor. So Massimos is a difficult one for me now: drawn by the food, but driven away by the service. My 2 cents.

tmh

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

:confused:

Id have had a similar experience with the service going back a couple of years, miles better nowadays and the food has always been great.

Just that you immediately mentioned Massimo when I said trendy hipster style gastropub.

Anyway it's clearly a divisive issue so I won't argue with you, just realise that not everyone's experience there is the same as yours. That's OK right?:)

Another shout out for Krchma, really underrated place that I didn't try for ages, love eastern european fare and the food is very fresh and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

tmh106 wrote: »
    The food in Massimo's is very good - it's the same people who run Aniar restaurant (the one with the Michelin star) and Cavas, two of my favourite restaurants in town, and both with great service I should add.

However, in my last few visits the service has been very poor. So Massimos is a difficult one for me now: drawn by the food, but driven away by the service. My 2 cents.

tmh

I thought this too and was told by someone that the restaurant is a different business so the bar and wait staff are separately employed. Might be the cause of mix ups in ordering food, drink etc.

whineflu wrote: »
    I thought this too and was told by someone that the restaurant is a different business so the bar and wait staff are separately employed. Might be the cause of mix ups in ordering food, drink etc.

Yes, that would explain it. As I said, the service in their two restaurants is excellent, among the best in Galway in my experience and opinion.

tmh

Just that you immediately mentioned Massimo when I said trendy hipster style gastropub.

Anyway it's clearly a divisive issue so I won't argue with you, just realise that not everyone's experience there is the same as yours. That's OK right?:)

Another shout out for Krchma, really underrated place that I didn't try for ages, love eastern european fare and the food is very fresh and quick.

Most certainly okay to have a differing opinion, im just surprised given my experience that others including yourself have had poor service there. Weve been probably 7 maybe 8 times in the last three months, lunch and dinner, yet to have bad service. One thing is its always busy on a Saturday evening and you can be waiting a while but its always worth it and weve always been told on arrival that its busy etc.
    Agree on KRCMA too, we ate there few months back, good chicken fillet burger and ribs, good prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I suggest McSwiggans'

But lookit - you are a guy, presumably unattached coming to Galway for the weekend.

Why this obsession with food. There are mighty women in Galway. Mingle and try your case. There will always be time for grub.

In ten or twenty years' time will you be thinking of that perfect sandwich, or of that delightful lady?

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    I suggest McSwiggans'

But lookit - you are a guy, presumably unattached coming to Galway for the weekend.

Why this obsession with food. There are mighty women in Galway. Mingle and try your case. There will always be time for grub.

In ten or twenty years' time will you be thinking of that perfect sandwich, or of that delightful lady?

Bizarre stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I suggest McSwiggans'

The last time I was in Galway I chose to satisfy my sexual needs rather than my my physical human need to eat so I think I'll give eating a go this time and maybe 'mingle and try my case' next time I'm here.

On that point, I love Galway, it's a lovely, lovely place. It's just a pity it doesn't allow for one to enjoy a nice recommended lunch AND associate with members of the opposite sex. This one or the other law that was passed is ruining trade in the city and imo will inevitably lead to places closing for business.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Anyway, back to relevance... I appreciate all the feedback this thread has gotten. I'll really be in 10 minds over where I decide to grub tomorrow :P

Oh but to add a poll as someome suggested, I'm on the iPhone and it doesn't seem to be giving me that option. I'm not sure I'd know how to on the desktop site either :D but if anyone wants one and can out me in the right direction I'd be more than happy to make one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I too think the service is massimos is poor. It's why i won't return.

Seems to be a recurring problem with them if you look on trip advisor

ArtyC wrote: »
    I too think the service is massimos is poor. It's why i won't return.

Seems to be a recurring problem with them if you look on trip advisor

First ten reviews on TA are 4/5 star, just saying. :cool: You then of course have the out of towners who whinge about bouncers and give one star which is nowt to do with the food.
    Anyway im still surprised that another person thinks its poor, have you been recently Arty? Or is it a legacy complaint?

DVDM93 wrote: »
    The last time I was in Galway I chose to satisfy my sexual needs rather than my my physical human need to eat ...

Where do you go for that in Galway? Can you start a new thread.
    DVDM93 wrote: »
    On that point, I love Galway, it's a lovely, lovely place. It's just a pity it doesn't allow for one to enjoy a nice recommended lunch AND associate with members of the opposite sex.

Huh?

Tmh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

tmh106 wrote: »
    Where do you go for that in Galway? Can you start a new thread.

Huh?

Tmh

His post was tongue in cheek

deisedude wrote: »
    His post was tongue in cheek

So was mine, or supposed to be. I obviously need practice

tmh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

First ten reviews on TA are 4/5 star, just saying. :cool: You then of course have the out of towners who whinge about bouncers and give one star which is nowt to do with the food.
    Anyway im still surprised that another person thinks its poor, have you been recently Arty? Or is it a legacy complaint?

Was there recently for my second and last time... Paid €7.50 for a sandwich on a board on it's own. Had to get up three times to ask for the coffee I ordered.

I only wish it was better cause it's a cool pub but I hate bad service

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

I've been to Massimo's about 10 times, the service is always poor but the food just about makes up for it. Every visit starts with a discussion on whether we are of the right mental state to put up with it for the sake of the food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Blakes gets my vote.

Steak and cheese wrap with soup or chowder for 9.95 is a solid meal for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Last time I was in Massimos was 2 months ago. Pint and a pizza was on special. I asked could I pick the toppings on the pizza. Got a reply 'we are not pizza hut'. Rudest waiting staff I've met in a long time. Pizza was below average at best as well.

Pity, it's a nice place for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The sandwiches in Cellar are amazing though. Their Cajun Chicken Ciabata is druel inducing

The wings in An Pucan are brilliant aswell alright

ArtyC wrote: »
    Was there recently for my second and last time... Paid €7.50 for a sandwich on a board on it's own. Had to get up three times to ask for the coffee I ordered.

I only wish it was better cause it's a cool pub but I hate bad service
    Ah ya that sounds pretty poor, one thing i think is an issue there is the drinks order thing, we always get ours separate to the meal as the staff are separate and it seems sometimes they cock it up.
    d-gal wrote: »
    Last time I was in Massimos was 2 months ago. Pint and a pizza was on special. I asked could I pick the toppings on the pizza. Got a reply 'we are not pizza hut'. Rudest waiting staff I've met in a long time. Pizza was below average at best as well.

Pity, it's a nice place for a pint
    In fairness they do a limited range of pizzas, i can understand their point but the comment was a bit much i suppose. I actually only like Massimo for food, no atmosphere in there for a pint, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭flynn2426

I suggest McSwiggans'

Presumably unattached why do u say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Guys, would ye recommend anywhere in salthill for grub?

zweton wrote: »

Krcma is good, The Oslo is okay but overpriced for what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

If you like tapas try the black cat

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Black cat probably my favourite restaurant in Galway at the moment. The mussels and beef cheeks are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

When?
    Apparently if you just want a proper nosh up with no frills The Galleon is the place to go to.
    Not been there in years but hearing good feedback (mainly from tourists).
    They are celebrating some kind of a significant birthday so they have offers all over the place.

Advertisement