Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

While Adverts.ie is an option, it isn't overly or actively popular in the Mournes, there seems to be plenty of them advertised though on the 'aul gumtree *

Normal Caution needed when buying tickets, when not person not present etc. Would also recommend checking the weather. Sun, sea and ice-cream is grand. A wild & wet Norn' Easterly, not so much.

Everyone i rang on gumtree with tomorrows tickets has already sold them.
    If he knew a few hours earlier we would have no problem getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pacly

I was planning on going into newry, then around by warrenpoint & kilkeel to park in the park-and -walk car park south of Newcastle.

Google's telling me its about 20 mins longer, but I'm hoping to miss all the traffic? Anyone know if its worth it or if I'm mad?

Can't wait! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Pacly wrote: »
    I was planning on going into newry, then around by warrenpoint & kilkeel to park in the park-and -walk car park south of Newcastle.

Google's telling me its about 20 mins longer, but I'm hoping to miss all the traffic? Anyone know if its worth it or if I'm mad?

Can't wait! :)

Yep, maybe +30mins, a bit more scenic and you can't get lost as it's mostly along the coast. Generally dual-carriageway roads with just the odd surprise hairpin type corner and winding sections to look out for. Cranfield near Kilkeel, or perhaps Tyrella beach further on would be a good spot to stretch the legs and get some kite-surfing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Not gonna get to see much of this unfortunately, the only day I'm not working is Saturday and I'm playing golf that day plus there's the cup final. My pick for the week is Ernie Els anyway!

Anyone know the best website to follow the action? The PGA site is great for the American events with the shot tracker, any European equivalent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm off Saturday and Sunday and can't wait for it to start. Going be great weeks golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Yep, maybe +30mins, a bit more scenic and you can't get lost as it's mostly along the coast. Generally dual-carriageway roads with just the odd surprise hairpin type corner and winding sections to look out for. Cranfield near Kilkeel, or perhaps Tyrella beach further on would be a good spot to stretch the legs and get some kite-surfing done.

Are you sure you're a local?

There's dual carriageway for 5 of 30 miles on the coast road. The rest of it will see you struggling to overtake a tractor.

Tyrella would involve actually leaving Newcastle and driving past RCD, then heading out of town for 15 mins.

The big problem with the coast road is that it will deposit you on the wrong side of town and against the one way system, which means sitting in traffic for God knows how long.

Go via Hilltown and park at Northfields.

Re other earlier advice there is absolutely no way anyone coming from the South should go via Rathfriland or Banbridge. The roads aren't better and it adds 10 miles to the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What do people reckon the winning score will be?
    Obviously will be highly dependent on weather conditions but can see plenty of birdies out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rory's game looks very off- really hope he can make the cut for a change at the Irish. Rickie however is looking very tidy and is -2 thru 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Course and scenery looking stunning.
    Links every year please!

Rickie with a putt to go -4 thru 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anyone know the best website to follow the action? The PGA site is great for the American events with the shot tracker, any European equivalent?

Not exactly a website but stick the Tele on. RTE 2. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭U.P.O.

Or if you're in work, RTE player is showing it live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Seve OB wrote: »
    Not exactly a website but stick the Tele on. RTE 2. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

I usually get the scores from the European Tour web site - can be a bit slow though:

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015040/leaderboard/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Another bogey for Rory. Everything looks a bit of a struggle at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not gonna get to see much of this unfortunately, the only day I'm not working is Saturday and I'm playing golf that day plus there's the cup final. My pick for the week is Ernie Els anyway!

This year they have live radio coverage like they do for The Open. Try the euro tour website/App or tune in radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thoughts on Gary Murphy? I have to say, I think he is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Anyone having issues with RTE Player? Saying there is no programme available now all of a sudden!

Seve OB wrote: »
    Thoughts on Gary Murphy? I have to say, I think he is great

My sentiments entirely - I was just about to post the same. I think he is excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

wont work on android! joke and i have a app called <mod snip> thats lets you watch all the sports channels and the one time I use it to watch the golf in work it keeps freezing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

the lawman wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with RTE Player? Saying there is no programme available now all of a sudden!

Was that during the add break? Stopped on me for a bit.

Better tee shot for Rory on 18 there - it will be devastating for the organisers if he isn't around for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

thewobbler wrote: »
    Are you sure you're a local?

There's dual carriageway for 5 of 30 miles on the coast road. The rest of it will see you struggling to overtake a tractor.

Tyrella would involve actually leaving Newcastle and driving past RCD, then heading out of town for 15 mins.

The big problem with the coast road is that it will deposit you on the wrong side of town and against the one way system, which means sitting in traffic for God knows how long.

Go via Hilltown and park at Northfields.

Re other earlier advice there is absolutely no way anyone coming from the South should go via Rathfriland or Banbridge. The roads aren't better and it adds 10 miles to the trip.

Thanks for this. Spent the last 15 mins looking at google maps, irish open website, etc trying to figure out the best route. I'll be coming from Dublin on Sunday and will be fairly late, don't expect to get to Newry untill 11ish.

Just to confirm you think getting off the A1 at Newry, onto Hilltown, into Bryansford and park in Northfields?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Better tee shot for Rory on 18 there - it will be devastating for the organisers if he isn't around for the weekend.

He looks badly out of sorts so far. Depends on what the wind does later how damaging this round will be. If it dies a little, he will be in big danger of missing the cut. If it gets up a bit more, he could be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

+5

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭krahsrekop

Playing himself out of the tournament already it looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I know he's got 27 holes to play but he's struggling. He has hit some really poor long iron shots and he's going to have to knuckle down and dig deep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Amazing how cold it looks for near june.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Damien. STOP BUYING TICKETS FOR THE WEEKEND TO SEE RORY....

Learn your Lesson.

Keano wrote: »
    I know he's got 27 holes to play but he's struggling. He has hit some really poor long iron shots and he's going to have to knuckle down and dig deep!

His lag putting has been shocking too.
    Plenty of holes left, but needs to get a couple of shots back on the back (front).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Anyone else having issues with the sound sync on rte player? Its miles out. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Was that during the add break? Stopped on me for a bit.

No don't think so. Just saying No Programme Available on the RTE2 section. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rory is having a nightmare.

As big a test of character as of his golf now. He can't let his head drop even though things are going against him with the putter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

vienne86 wrote: »

Not sure it'll be devastating, sure they'll be disappointed alright.

He looks - a) Actully a little ill
    b) He got bad news - or sick being back with the parents already :D

For him not to Bird that first hole is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Westwood has the yips. Absolutely shocking stroke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Westwood has the yips. Absolutely shocking stroke

He's always struggled with his putting. I believe he could have won a few majors if it had been half decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

These mega star groups seem to backfire a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, never liked the idea of handpicking players to put together.
    bar having one or two specific players tee off at a set time for tv purposes, it should be a completely random draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

yeah, never liked the idea of handpicking players to put together.
    bar having a few specific players tee off at a set time for tv purposes, it should be a completely random draw.

Not selling the product very well if Rory is with 1 or 2 random players though. 4 sold out days, sky sports coverage at 8am, the signs are they have done a pretty good job.

• Advertisement

Fowler judging the iron shots well, he's a good links player.

Was just thinking how hard greens and course are playing.

Showing a great display of shot making... thank f one of them is playing a bit of golf.

We might be dusting down the GMac flags come Sat

Was just thinking how hard greens and course are playing.

Yeah, they are very hard, imagine after a dry summer :eek:

Rain tomorrow morning might help scoring.

Nice to see John Kelly level so far.

Looking forward to see how Moynihan goes.

Great achievement for them to be in a big event like this.

Anyone play here? Anyone make a par? lol

I've played it - a couple of lads on here have had rounds in 70s.

But the tees here are a bit different. (very)

It is exactly how we are seeing and greens are very very hard - very hard to hold even with great shots.

I don't think you get a sense of the dunes on tv here - also the bunkers and surrounds are a sure double at best

See Mcdowell there from below green using putter - that is the sort of stuff to be at.

Was just thinking the same myself. It looks like a monster in these conditions.

Lee - is playing well - was thinking before he would - but jaysus , the two putts he missed so far.

Event should suit him.

• Advertisement

I know we are bored of it.

But Jimenez is a class act and golfer - the lifestyle stuff is a distraction that undermines him as a player.

He deserved Ryder Cup job.

Advertisement