Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Good start for Padraig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Apologies if bought up all ready, but why do RTE not have all day coverage of this?

Just in from work, looking forward to a days action, and off the air again till 4pm. Are they just doing the schedule to suit Rorys, Shanes, and Padrigs rounds, or is there broadcasting rights involved here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

WTF happened Rory today!!! And kaymer too. Serious disasters. Go on Danny Willet though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

could have been an even worse day for Rory. Narrowly missed being hit on the head when waiting to pitch from the 3rd fairway onto the 7th green. very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Apologies if bought up all ready, but why do RTE not have all day coverage of this?

Just in from work, looking forward to a days action, and off the air again till 4pm. Are they just doing the schedule to suit Rorys, Shanes, and Padrigs rounds, or is there broadcasting rights involved here?

Think there's broadcasting rights for the Euro tour events ,they take a couple of hours off from 1 most weeks on Sky and come back on air for the last hour or two ,I could be open to correction but I'm pretty sure the whole days play isn't covered on the Euro Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Sky are off air until 4.00 also. I'd say RTE are using their coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

MikeSD wrote: »
    Sky are off air until 4.00 also. I'd say RTE are using their coverage.

Yes Paddy Bird on first hole, Base Fishing on sky 4.

I guess in fairness all the staff working need some sort of break ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I guess in fairness all the staff working need some sort of break ? :confused:

Ah c'mere, seriously? Whatever the reason, I doubt that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Fooking bass fishing why do I bother paying for sky spots this is prime time golf time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Matt Ford, Kjeldson, Donald near top to the leaderboard.

All plot their way around.

Can see Molinari, Jaidee, David Howell doing well in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

To be fair I think it's the same with the Us tour events 3/4 hours shown each day,only really wall to wall coverage of the Ryder cup and British open . The other 3 majors are about 6-7 hours coverage a day there's only so much they can show unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

What the hell... I've been out all morning and now I come back to Rory +9... It's Thursday... WTF!!

Not a huge surprise that he's not doing well. Links golf doesn't suit him at all, he has the pressure of being tournament host, first time the Irish open is at this golf course, he's played a lot of golf recently and he has a history of being a hot and cold golfer. +9 is a bit of a shock but I wasn't expecting him to feature at this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Not a huge surprise that he's not doing well. Links golf doesn't suit him at all, he has the pressure of being tournament host, first time the Irish open is at this golf course, he's played a lot of golf recently and he has a history of being a hot and cold golfer. +9 is a bit of a shock but I wasn't expecting him to feature at this event.

Thanks Capt. hindsight.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Links golf doesn't suit him at all

Yeah he will never win The Open :D

A real shame if he doesn't make the weekend... 5 weeks on the trot is something I don't think he will do again.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbHfr9QArpMIUp_pkMsWnKq12TNATwkGVsYrsfuHoiJBMrB6DZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Any chance of the lotto numbers for this sat mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Kiawah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Expect to see several rank outsiders fight it out if it continues windy, same as the grand national if the going is like a bog, anything can win it, totally levels the playing field all you need now is a bit of luck here and there. Clarke and Todd Hamilton spring to mind.

I don't agree with this at all. Playing in windy conditions is a particular skill and the number of potential winners in tough conditions is probably a lot fewer than it would be in ideal weather. I've heard Padraig Harrington say that he loves extremely difficult conditions because at least 70% of the field are beaten before they've even started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The RTE coverage commentators are poor.

It's the europeantour.com feed I assume since they've mentioned the website a few times?

There is a nice bit of nostalgia in hearing Dougie Donnelly though. Reminds me of the older British Opens.

The whole thing is building now - place looks fantastic in that light.

Even nicer with Padraig on the run.

• Advertisement

The whole thing is building now - place looks fantastic in that light.

Even nicer with Padraig on the run.

Apparently it is being broadcasted over in the US on the golf channel so it's great to have the sun shine and promote Irish golf - course looks fantastic right now.

Hume (par) and Moynihan (+1) going ok so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hume (par) and Moynihan (+1) going ok so far.

And Gary Hurley (-1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

mad for a game on links watching this, go on paddy :D Jesus if it wasn't sold out I'd nearly fly up !

For all the talk of the course.

I'd be surprised if 6 under or less is not hit.

Good eagle chances on 1 and 12.

If you are clever on par 4s , you have birdie chance a good few.

Just talking to a friend who is up there watching and he said it was one of the worst tournaments he has been to in terms of places where you are allowed to stand and watch. Very little access to watch tee shots from behind tee boxes and many high mounds are off limits near/around greens.

HighLine wrote: »
    Just talking to a friend who is up there watching and he said it was one of the worst tournaments he has been to in terms of places where you are allowed to stand and watch. Very little access to watch tee shots from being tee boxes and many high mounds are off limits near/around greens.

And above was exactly what my fear was going to be.

The place is like a mountain garden hedge maze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭bustercherry

And above was exactly what my fear was going to be.

The place is like a mountain garden hedge maze.

Also looks crap on TV too.

Second consecutive week that there's more world ranking points on offer in Europe than in the U.S.

Looks amazing to me, give me this over parkland any day.

• Advertisement

+1

I like it - as it is what I like.

But - it is a course that you need to play or be there to get a sense of the holes.

But , being there you will not see much golf by the looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

While the lack of viewing points is obviously not great for spectators there, the course itself, I think, looks fantastic.

Very well manicured greens and fairways, unforgiving rough and natural bunkers. A great contrast to the artificial landscaping of other courses.

Add to that, the views of the Mournes, Dundrum Bay and the old clubhouse and it really is one of the most picturesque courses on offer in the UK + Ire.

You have to play it to really appreciate the natural beauty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Having played it quite a bit, it looks very underwhelming which is not the case. The cheap production (as with most of the smaller tour events) makes it look very bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

I think his swing is in trouble to be honest, he's not playing his golf, and isn't releasing the club fully, it's clipped and forced, and everything going right.

Rory's perfect swing is always small margins away from trouble. He swings it so hard and free. Coming to windy links from US doesn't always suit him. He is such an genius though if he was playing links for the next few weeks he'd perfect it.

From what little I watched he was trying to play too linksy with sawed off driver etc. I would have liked to have seen that 2 iron he used in hoylake out a lot more.

Anyway if his short game was on we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Rte shown the irish news! Fcuking joke15 mins of coverage gone!

benny79 wrote: »

I'm a golf fan - but the news more important :D:D:D

The course record will go this week.

And maybe not to even a big name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

The course record will go this week.

And maybe not to even a big name.

Big call. ;)
    Any idea what it is and who owns it.

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »

Whilst Sky continue with the coverage. I gave RTE their chance and they blew it :D

kiers47 wrote: »
    Big call. ;)
    Any idea what it is and who owns it.

looked it up other day was shocked (66) Jimmy Bruen.

looked it up other day was shocked (66) Jimmy Bruen.

Literally just called out on commentary now. Paddy with a putt to tie. :)

Literally just called out on commentary now. Paddy with a putt to tie. :)

Paddy , such a headbanger he maybe knew ?

Paddy , such a headbanger he maybe knew ?

Paddy claiming a course record in his interview as course has been changed :)

Paddy claiming a course record in his interview as course has been changed :)

In fairness - Euro Tour said it.

But - we all know it isn't really.

But both will be broken - IMO.

• Advertisement

Kieffer has a chance if he can get past 7 with a par - easier said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Jimmy Bruen was 19 when he shot that 66.

Unbelievable talent

Impressive 66... especially with that swing! :D So that's where Furyk got it from.

At least Rory isn't last now.

Dyson - now a WD after a very bad round. You would hope he is injured.

Ok lads we await reports from people that were there.

I'll be honest - a fantastic course,

But did wonder about it for an event to go watch. I'd be very frustrated not playing, as love the course.

How was the day ?
    Logistics
    Parking
    Food and drink
    Atmosphere
    Was it that cold

• Advertisement
Advertisement