Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Liverpool, 14th Dec, 1.30PM K/O, *Mod Note 1st Post*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Just for a reference, the league table since the window closed.

Just giving chelsea a head start
    158C79k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

niallo27 wrote: »
    He has them going in the right direction because it was almost impossible to go any other way. He is without doubt a better manager than moyes but I just don't understand how utd fans expectations have dropped so much in the space of one season.

I have posted in the United thread how we are title challengers, not the favourites to win it but we have a chance. How we have come from further to win titles.
    I think a lot are rather cautious, but if we keep winning the belief for fans grows.
    Some members of the team say they are fighting for the title so the belief is there.

158C79k.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

158C79k.jpg

If you look at the league table for the last 3 games Liverpool are ahead of chelsea.

Didn't have the table handy but was just about to post that over the last 10 games Utd have taken the exact same number of league points as Chelsea, and I think maybe 2 fewer than City. They've taken more points than everyone else in the league. The first five games or so were a disaster in terms of results to be fair, but once past that hump Utd have been doing well in terms of results, even if the performances haven't always been great.

For the record, I dont think we will win the leauge. Probably come 3 with man city ahead by 6 points.

Just interesting to see the leauge after utd bought the new team

Didn't have the table handy but was just about to post that over the last 10 games Utd have taken the exact same number of league points as Chelsea, and I think maybe 2 fewer than City. They've taken more points than everyone else in the league. The first five games or so were a disaster in terms of results to be fair, but once past that hump Utd have been doing well in terms of results, even if the performances haven't always been great.

You can't keep getting away with playing poor though. Well at least I hope not anyway.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :D

The wit just exudes from you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He has them going in the right direction because it was almost impossible to go any other way. He is without doubt a better manager than moyes but I just don't understand how utd fans expectations have dropped so much in the space of one season.

Before the season started fans gave them an outside shot at the league. Expectations dropped due to a very slow start and the performances being rather average. Most fans would happily settle for top 4 now. The rediculous injury list has a lot to do with it, near impossible for a team to challenge for the title with a consistent injury list like that. United 08-09 is the closest to it I can remember but even that wasnt near this level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

For the record, I dont think we will win the leauge. Probably come 3 with man city ahead by 6 points.

Just interesting to see the leauge after utd bought the new team

Didnt liverpool sign about 5/6 players also?

The wit just exudes from you

Cheers Gowlie, sure we go way back!

Didnt liverpool sign about 5/6 players also?

Ya, so did utd. Point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ya, so did utd. Point?

Here mate, Im not 14... Jog on

You can't keep getting away with playing poor though. Well at least I hope not anyway.

I think that's a fair comment, the performances really need to improve. It's difficult for me to see who's going to keep Utd out of the Champions League at this point though. I don't think Utd have any real chance of winning the league, would take a total Chelsea collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So do you Liverpool fans want Stevie G to start?

• Advertisement

Here mate, Im not 14... Jog on

Oi m8. u avin a giraffe?

I showed the table since the window closed and whatever players needed to be bought had been bought? Liverpool are still in 8th or 9th no matter what table I show, utd are still in third.
    My original point was that utd arent as bad or far off as people would like to think. This will be the top 3 at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

On Utd's injuries...I suppose ye've spoken about it on your Superthread but I don't read it too often but is it anything to do with training methods? What was Van Gaal's record with injuries like at other clubs? It seems like a lot of injuries for it to be "just bad luck".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

like a cup final for a midtable team to go to the theatre of dreams so I expect liverpool to show up in this game

United may get complacent with the run they are on

like a cup final for a midtable team to go to the theatre of dreams so I expect liverpool to show up in this game

Getting the excuses in early...nice one.

On Utd's injuries...I suppose ye've spoken about it on your Superthread but I don't read it too often but is it anything to do with training methods? What was Van Gaal's record with injuries like at other clubs? It seems like a lot of injuries for it to be "just bad luck".

Mike Phelan suggested that alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we play like Monday night Liverpool will get a result.

If United perform the way they can, with the players they have, I can see them coming out on top.

But its Liverpool. They are always hard for us to beat.

Covering all angles here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It hasn't been great but Rafa, Jones, and Smalling are all injury prone no matter who manages the team. Take them out of the equation and I would say it's just bad luck

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It hasn't been great but Rafa, Jones, and Smalling are all injury prone no matter who manages the team. Take them out of the equation and I would say it's just bad luck

That's a lot of bad luck...Van Gaal must break mirrors for a passtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Have to say given how liverpool have played this season ( rudderless ) im still fairly confident they'll get a result . Only saw utd play on monday but it was woeful. They (utd) are better though up front as liverpool have stopped playing forwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Utd have by far the better players but this fixture takes on a life of its own. With home advantage I hope Utd can sneak it by 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Even with a ''cup-final'' performance from Liverpool, I think United just have too much quality up front.

There may not even be a ''cup-final'' type performance. I thought the way Liverpool played against Basel that Rodgers had lost the dressing room. Whatever about playing bad tactics, to not be arsed to close players down just showed they didn't have the motivation to do it for Rodgers in what was a season-defining game.

You only have to look at Uniteds games against Liverpool and City last season to see that the opposition doesn't necessarily mean that a team can drag itself out of a dark place to put in a one-off performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

This media obsession with United's supposedly 'shambolic' defence is getting tiresome.Jones and Evans are both fit now,and while neither are great players,I'd expect them to form a decent partnership for the rest of the season.

Apart from the Leicester debacle,the goals against column is respectable enough.City,Chelsea and Arsenal didn't exactly make hay against United.Can't think of any Liverpool defender who'd walk into the United team.

This media obsession with United's supposedly 'shambolic' defence is getting tiresome.Jones and Evans are both fit now,and while neither are great players,I'd expect them to form a decent partnership for the rest of the season.

Apart from the Leicester debacle,the goals against column is respectable enough.City,Chelsea and Arsenal didn't exactly make hay against United.Can't think of any Liverpool defender who'd walk into the United team.

Not even Johnson. First name glen.

Can't say I'd be clambouring for any of utds defenders either tbh

Both teams are defensively suspect to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Utd are the favourites.

Liverpool will have to rely on Gerrard to inspire the lads.

Weres Suarez when you need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I think this game is really critical for both team right now,

Liverpool win and it could ignite their season especially with Sturidge to come back soon and the transfer window.

Utd win and it cuts Liverpool adrift of top 4 and looking like a nailed on top 4 finish, sorry Utd fans but forget about winning the league, not gonna happen but I suspect a top 4 would be enough for this season.

So my prediction for this match based on the above
    0 - 0, I'm gonna put money on it. 10/1 on PP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Regardless of the result, once the unfunny Andy Tate vids come out we're all losers.

0-0 drab game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I think this game is really critical for both team right now,

Liverpool win and it could ignite their season especially with Sturidge to come back soon and the transfer window.

Utd win and it cuts Liverpool adrift of top 4 and looking like a nailed on top 4 finish, sorry Utd fans but forget about winning the league, not gonna happen but I suspect a top 4 would be enough for this season.

So my prediction for this match based on the above
    0 - 0, I'm gonna put money on it. 10/1 on PP

I'd be very surprised if Liverpool can keep a clean sheet. Crap defence V good attackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Rooney to have a stormer and United to win 3-1. 2 for Rooney, 1 for Van Persie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think this game is really critical for both team right now

Nah, not an important game for Liverpool at all apparently, although the same people that will tell you that will dominate the post count in here ;)

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Liverpool can keep a clean sheet. Crap defence V good attackers.

Your forgetting what game this is, also whatever you say about Liverpool's defense it is actually improving, 2 goals conceded in the last 4
    (1 in 3 with Toure in the team)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's remarkably passive on this thread so far. Kind of funny how you view big games as a neutral, both sets of fans playing down their chances.

Score draw for me. Di Maria a huge loss for utd in this game but it'll be interesting to see how liverpool line up. I can't understand how coutinho isn't starting every game for them. Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson and Allen can't play together full stop.

A great read, especially if your a Liverpool or Man U fan
    http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/our-manc-kop-why-liverpool-vs-man-united-more-game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Regardless of the result, once the unfunny Andy Tate vids come out we're all losers.

0-0 drab game.

If it was at Anfield,I'd put a fiver on that..Can't see RVP,Rooney and Falcao all failing to put one past poor Simon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Personally a trophy I'd be over the moon.

Top 4 also and I'd be doing sommersaults.

Silverware important imo
    Should have taken the International Champions Cup in August more seriously then shouldn't you..

BuPd6EsIIAETieY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's remarkably passive on this thread so far. Kind of funny how you view big games as a neutral, both sets of fans playing down their chances.

Score draw for me. Di Maria a huge loss for utd in this game but it'll be interesting to see how liverpool line up. I can't understand how coutinho isn't starting every game for them. Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson and Allen can't play together full stop.

Purely down to consistency mate. He's probably the most technically gifted player in our squad right now, but for every game he plays to the best of his ability, he has six or seven where he's nothing more than a passenger. Luckily for him and us, consistency is something that usually improves with time.

At his best, he's unplayable.

Coutinho or Lallana need to play for creativity. However with Gerrard now playing at the tip of the diamond that might not happen.

Nib wrote: »
    Should have taken the International Champions Cup in August more seriously then shouldn't you..

BuPd6EsIIAETieY.jpg

Still not over that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Coutinho or Lallana need to play for creativity. However with Gerrard now playing at the tip of the diamond that might not happen.

What's the story with lallana?

If you spend that much money on a player he should surely be a regular? Regardless of the investment committee farce, he should be starting if you're willing to take that kind of gamble.

• Advertisement

What's the story with lallana?

If you spend that much money on a player he should surely be a regular? Regardless of the investment committee farce, he should be starting if you're willing to take that kind of gamble.

Fcuk knows. He's looked decent at times. Needs to get a decent run in the team imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Vidic to get sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

darced wrote: »
    I think United might have too much strike power for us tomorrow but with a defence maybe containing mediocre/poor players like Rafael,Rojo,Jones and Evans if we can get a bit of pace to our play we could well get a result.

Uniteds dross of Herrera,Carrick and Fellaini in midfield can be got the better of and I'd like to see Can in there for a big game chance to make a mark.

LVG has been saved by Uniteds recent run of results but he needs to keep it going or the knives will be out while Rodgers is already on the BBQ.

Dross, mediocre and poor? Should be a walk in the park regardless of forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement