Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who has right of way and why ?

• 10-12-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Take a typical four road controlled junction with filter arrows for cars turning left. Assume that left turning traffic can enter the road immediately as distinct from going down a long filter lane with a yield sign at the end of it.

Occasionally, when turning left under the authority of the green filter arrow you may find yourself confronted with a car coming from your front right hand side on a collision course with you. This happens when the other car in question is executing a right hand turn which will bring it across your bows as you turn left.

I have seen a few near misses with this practice.

Who has right of way and why ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Left turning vehicle has priority because the right turning vehicle is crossing a lane of traffic and has to wait for the way to be clear before doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Can you post a google maps link to the junction in question.

Would need to see all roadmarkings and signs on the junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

From the ROTR
    A green arrow (also known as a filter light) means that you may move on in the
    direction of the arrow, assuming it is safe and the way is clear, even if a red light
    is also showing.

Having said that if you have a green arrow the other driver should be facing a red light. If you have an amber arrow you should give way to other traffic.

At the end of the day, I always apply the golden rule my father taught me: Always assume everyone on the road is out to kill you and act accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Rules of the road state that you must give way to traffic coming from your right. So someone in a filter lane turning left must give way to traffic turning right into the same road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

stimpson wrote: »
    From the ROTR

Having said that if you have a green arrow the other driver should be facing a red light. If you have an amber arrow you should give way to other traffic.

At the end of the day, I always apply the golden rule my father taught me: Always assume everyone on the road is out to kill you and act accordingly.

Yes, but the other driver can have a green filter arrow allowing them to turn right and they go on to execute a U-turn bringing them in to conflict with you.

BTW your father is a very wise man:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Link www.google.ie/maps/@53.3139001,-6.2225154,3a,51.6y,182.39h,87.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdk5RRPlvTXOpac2tB7LUHA!2e0

You are turning left with green filter arrow. Conflict traffic comes from side where you see red bus.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Yes, but the other driver can have a green filter arrow allowing them to turn right and they go on to execute a U-turn bringing them in to conflict with you.

BTW your father is a very wise man:D

Ah, but that's not what you said. You were talking about someone turning from the same road as you. I would imagine in that case there would be a no U turn sign.

Post up the a google maps link to the junction you're talking about.

Ah, but that's not what you said. You were talking about someone turning from the same road as you. I would imagine in that case there would be a no U turn sign.

Post up the a google maps link to the junction you're talking about.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Link www.google.ie/maps/@53.3139001,-6.2225154,3a,51.6y,182.39h,87.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sdk5RRPlvTXOpac2tB7LUHA!2e0

You are turning left with green filter arrow. Conflict traffic comes from side where you see red bus.

When executing a U-turn you must give way to all other road users according to the ROTR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Looking at the lights for that junction, cars turning right don't have a filter arrow and are instead going when their light is red.

I see that mistake being made by several people who thinking that a green arrow for straight means they can turn right when the way is clear but they should only be going when they have a green arrow to go right.

Edit: I think I've got this all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

There is no way on Earth your paths should cross in that picture. If you go left, and the red and white bus goes to his right, then you should pass each other without even coming close. The bus would have to be going the wrong way down your street to get in your way.

EDIT - just read the U-turn bit. The person doing the U-turn has to give way. Why? It says so in the ROTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I think I understand the scenario I know of a similar junction.

The car turning right is probably stranded in the middle of the junction looking to turn right.

You are coming in the opposite direction and turning left on a filter lane.

I think regardless of the filter lane when at a junction you always have right away when turning left with oncoming traffic. (Not traffic actually coming from your right)
    When turning right you are cutting across the lane of on-coming traffic so you need to give way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The traffic turning left has right of way. Traffic making a u-turn must give way to all other road users.

Edit: Snap
    When executing a U-turn you must give way to all other road users according to the ROTR.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The lights at that junction should operate so as to give the vehicle turning left a window where only that light is green. That would give a clear run.

The lights at that junction should operate so as to give the vehicle turning left a window where only that light is green. That would give a clear run.

This is not always the case.
    You can have a filter lane with green light when traffic is coming from the right, you still need to give way to traffic from the right but can merge into the lane if lane is clear.

This is not always the case.
    You can have a filter lane with green light when traffic is coming from the right, you still need to give way to traffic from the right but can merge into the lane if lane is clear.

In that case the arrow would be amber indicating you need to give way. If it's a green arrow you should have right of way (assuming it's safe to do so etc.)

In that case the arrow would be amber indicating you need to give way. If it's a green arrow you should have right of way (assuming it's safe to do so etc.)

Hmmm I travel from Donegal to Belfast a lot, so perhaps some differences between the ROI and UK roads.
    I know in the UK they do not have an amber filter light color, you have a green arrow or nothing. I have actually never seen an amber filter light.

Hmmm I travel from Donegal to Belfast a lot, so perhaps some differences between the ROI and UK roads.
    I know in the UK they do not have an amber filter light color, you have a green arrow or nothing. I have actually never seen an amber filter light.

http://goo.gl/maps/PDSyh
    Here's an example of one.

Edit: and another
    http://goo.gl/maps/895Cj
    This one has the yield symbol on the road.

http://goo.gl/maps/PDSyh
    Here's an example of one.

Well in this case as this is essenitally almost a slip road you always give way to traffic to the right.

I think the original question was if someone in the opposite direction had turned right in this case they would now be coming from the right so in that case amber or green you would need to give way to traffic coming from your right.

Well in this case as this is essenitally almost a slip road you always give way to traffic to the right.

I think the original question was if someone in the opposite direction had turned right in this case they would now be coming from the right so in that case amber or green you would need to give way to traffic coming from your right.

You're right. I don't think there are any non-slip road examples.

• Advertisement

If they have a green light/arrow you will have a red light.
    If you have a green arrow they will have a red light

If you have a green arrow then nobody else should have green going on to your road.

I'm pretty sure it's the same in the UK.

(I'm assuming a crossroads as per the OP)

If they have a green light/arrow you will have a red light.
    If you have a green arrow they will have a red light

If you have a green arrow then nobody else should have green going on to your road.

I'm pretty sure it's the same in the UK.

(I'm assuming a crossroads as per the OP)

Yeah technically if the arrow is green in this case then no one should be appoaching from the right.

However in the UK I do not think they have an amber just a green filter light.

So it would be possible that a car travelling in the opposite direction has turned right, you are on the fliter lane about to turn left, if the car has already made the right turn as you approach you need to give way as you are now joining the major road (which the car is now on) from a minor junction.

Yeah technically if the arrow is green in this case then no one should be appoaching from the right.

However in the UK I do not think they have an amber just a green filter light.

So it would be possible that a car travelling in the opposite direction has turned right, you are on the fliter lane about to turn left, if the car has already made the right turn as you approach you need to give way as you are now joining the major road (which the car is now on) from a minor junction.

That's true but the OP was actually describing a case where the person turning right is doing a U-turn at the same time as the other car is turning left. It's conceivable they will move off at the same time and approach at the same time. The RotR say the U-turner should yield to all other traffic, especially since the left turning driver cannot distinguish between the cars turning left and those wishing to perform a U-turn.

That's true but the OP was actually describing a case where the person turning right is doing a U-turn at the same time as the other car is turning left. It's conceivable they will move off at the same time and approach at the same time. The RotR say the U-turner should yield to all other traffic, especially since the left turning driver cannot distinguish between the cars turning left and those wishing to perform a U-turn.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

Here's an example I encounter regularly (that doesn't involve a U-turn).

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3549327,-6.2684414,3a,75y,306.92h,78.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOpUVm1nMvpeQ-A0GYPSJ5w!2e0!6m1!1e1

Cars turning right here get a green filter. But at the same time, cars opposite get a green filter left too. Always causes confusion, but generally the cars turning right, who are crossing the road will yield to the left turning cars.

Until this junction I always believed a green filter meant you had full right of way to go the direction its pointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Raggaroo wrote: »
    Rules of the road state that you must give way to traffic coming from your right. So someone in a filter lane turning left must give way to traffic turning right into the same road.

Not so. Otherwise you'd always have to give way to right turning traffic and this is not the case (was there something like this in New Zealand?)
    Until this junction I always believed a green filter meant you had full right of way to go the direction its pointing.

it should, it is a badly designed traffic light, contact the local authority.

Advertisement