Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being pestered by Electric ireland

Options
  • 10-12-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

has anybody else noticed that in the last few months, that electric Ireland have become really agressive towards customers in terms of collecting money? it appears that they have a new dialler system in place which looks for accounts overdue and then calls customers automatically looking for payment, HOWEVER, even though my account balance was zero last month and completely up to date, i was still getting calls as soon as the new bills arrived and they have continued within the 14 days cut off. 

my current balance is €140 after paying off €100 off it last week. they called me yesterday, they called me again today. in total, ive had 6 calls from them in recent weeks, despite the fact that of the €2000 worth of bills in the last year, €1860 has been paid-  i doubt theres many houses in the country with payment success of great than 93%, yet for some reason they are hounding me for money even when theres nothing over due.

thinking of changing providers, as its getting annoying now and its bordering on harrassment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi homerjay2005,

If you would like us to check into this further for you, do private message us your Electric Ireland account number and your name, address in full and the telephone number we have on file for you.

We would be happy to look into it for you in this department and we are here on Boards.ie until 6pm.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ianyb

has anybody else noticed that in the last few months, that electric Ireland have become really agressive towards customers in terms of collecting money? it appears that they have a new dialler system in place which looks for accounts overdue and then calls customers automatically looking for payment, HOWEVER, even though my account balance was zero last month and completely up to date, i was still getting calls as soon as the new bills arrived and they have continued within the 14 days cut off. 

my current balance is €140 after paying off €100 off it last week. they called me yesterday, they called me again today. in total, ive had 6 calls from them in recent weeks, despite the fact that of the €2000 worth of bills in the last year, €1860 has been paid-  i doubt theres many houses in the country with payment success of great than 93%, yet for some reason they are hounding me for money even when theres nothing over due.

thinking of changing providers, as its getting annoying now and its bordering on harrassment.
    happened me too last week for around the same amount too. something is up. crazy stuff, it'll all end up pay as you go soon enough, they offered me a free meter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have had this crap from Electric Ireland for the last year .
    Constantly ringing up and looking for payment and being pretty nasty about it too.

I'm a long standing customer ,and have always paid my bills in full,never more than a month behind the bill date .
    I am not in arrears and never have been but I have to put up with this incessant crap .
    I read that there are 300,000 people on special payment plans ,are they being constantly pestered ?

I presume its an outsourced call centre who make these calls because they are very unprofessional and curt.
    Its come to the stage where I no longer answer the phone when I see the number .
    Its an absolute disgrace,its harassment.

Hi all,

We are very sorry to read that you have found the manner in which the calls have been made to be unprofessional.

We will pass on your feedback on this thread, and if you would like us in this department to clarify anything on your account, do private message us your details as per my post #2.

Generally speaking, if a customer is not in a position to pay their bill in full by the due date two weeks from the date the bill issues (and we fully understand circumstances can cause this to be the case) we would just need to be advised of this, and we can then set up a payment plan no problem. Inputting the payment plan info to the system deems the bill no longer overdue and therefore eliminates reminders.
    Clearing the bill after the due date/before the next bill, and in installments, is no problem but the system just needs to be "told" the details of when it can be paid by.

We are here on Boards until 6pm.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I'm with Bord Gais for both my electricity and gas accounts. Was considering changing but there is no way I would tolerate that behaviour so my mind is made up. Horrendous way of dealing with customers so no thanks. An aggressive salesman in my estate didn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I had the same last year. they are really aggressive on the phone. Its in no way like a customer service courtesy call. it completely lacks professionalism and tries to intimidate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just been called again! f*cking hell. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

just been called again! f*cking hell. 
    Christmas bonus in the collections dept

Hi all,

We are very sorry to read that you have found the manner in which the calls have been made to be unprofessional.

We will pass on your feedback on this thread, and if you would like us in this department to clarify anything on your account, do private message us your details as per my post #2.

Generally speaking, if a customer is not in a position to pay their bill in full by the due date two weeks from the date the bill issues (and we fully understand circumstances can cause this to be the case) we would just need to be advised of this, and we can then set up a payment plan no problem. Inputting the payment plan info to the system deems the bill no longer overdue and therefore eliminates reminders.
    Clearing the bill after the due date/before the next bill, and in installments, is no problem but the system just needs to be "told" the details of when it can be paid by.

We are here on Boards until 6pm.

Regards,
    Una
    hi Una, 

i never said i was not in a position to pay, i have paid 1860euro worth of electricity in last 12 months. i was getting these calls, with a balance of Zero last month and then again days after a new bill came out, same was happening. my current balance is 140euro and you are harrasing me for it, one week before christmas and despite the fact that i am a customer who pays his bills very very regulary in full. 

you have a problem in the company called lack of common sense as well as a technical problem

Hi homerjay2005,

We're sorry to read it - we would need to see your account, and the notes left on it by the department in question, in order to be able to advise you further though.

If you confirm the account details required as per above by private message, we will assist you ASAP. If not this evening, definitely tomorrow morning.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

so its obvious that Electric ireland still have not reviewed their scandalous policy of hassling customers  with an automatic dialling system, who are paying their bills regulary, as yet again i am being pestered.

my November bill had a balance of 140 which i paid off in December yet on CHRISTMAS EVE was getting phone calls from them looking for this to be paid. they left me alone then for a few weeks and a new bill since arrived, of which i have paid off ~€250 last week. since Monday, i have been called 4 times. ive now paid €3200 in the last 15 months yet i am being treat as if i owe them that amount. 

this is harrassment of the highest order. you would think that they would check the bloody accounts before calling or at least they would show some loyalty to customers who keep their accounts in good shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi homerjay2005,

We regret to read you're unhappy.

We understand that you pay regularly, but our credit terms are 14 days from the date of issue of the bill. Whenever a bill goes beyond the due date, you may gets calls or letters asking for payment.

We appreciate that sometimes it's not possible to pay the bill immediately. We recommend setting up a payment plan on your bill if you know you won't have the bill paid within two weeks. If you do this and stick to the agreed plan, you won't get any phone calls or letters in relation to payment. This would need to be done for each bill once you receive them.

If you would like us to check into this further for you, do private message us your details. We need your full name, account number, address and telephone number or date of birth. You'll also need to confirm you're the account holder.

Regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

This happens to me on a regular basis- especially in the past 3 years or so. Apart from the fact that I have never had a double bill and usually pay at least half the amount within the first couple of weeks. I find Electric Ireland's collection department to be quite pushy. The policy should be stretched to 4 weeks instead of 2.

Jennifer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Agreed. Its ridiculous how quickly after bill issue they start the incessant calling. Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Had this too from EI, make sure you log all calls, including the reps name and entire conversation when they phone as one rep doesn't know what your conversation was with the other reps that call. They are pretty sheepish when you recite the conversation you had with another rep explaining why you haven't paid your bill because they haven't sent it out despite you phoning in your meter reading. 
    Not very customer friendly at all and you are right it is bordering on harassment if one could be bothered bringing them to task for it.

Hi all,

Our credit terms are 14 days, but we can offer payment plans to extend the due date if required. We do understand that sometimes people may require more time to clear a balance and would urge any customer who can't pay within our credit terms to contact us and we would be happy to discuss a payment plan. If an agreement is made, you won't receive any calls or letters in relation to payment. We also have an option of Pay As You Go for customers, who prefer to pay weekly. You can see more about this on our website: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/manage-your-account/pay-as-you-go.jsp

If you require assistance, do send us your details via private message. We would need your full name, address, account number and telephone number or date of birth. You would also need to confirm you're the account holder.

Regards,
    Aoife

Glenalla wrote: »
    Had this too from EI, make sure you log all calls, including the reps name and entire conversation when they phone as one rep doesn't know what your conversation was with the other reps that call. They are pretty sheepish when you recite the conversation you had with another rep explaining why you haven't paid your bill because they haven't sent it out despite you phoning in your meter reading. 
    Not very customer friendly at all and you are right it is bordering on harassment if one could be bothered bringing them to task for it.
    Hi Glenalla,

We're sorry to read this. If you've specified a date to have the bill paid by and the advisor has agreed to set up payment plan, you shouldn't be receiving another call in relation to this.

Would you like us to look into the matter for you? We would need your name, account number, address and telephone number or date of birth. You would also need to confirm you're the account holder.

Do let us know if we can help.

Regards,
    Aoife

so its obvious that Electric ireland still have not reviewed their scandalous policy of hassling customers  with an automatic dialling system, who are paying their bills regulary, as yet again i am being pestered.
    Over the last month these cowboys rang me daily on my home phone and mobile ,at least once ,often twice a day despite my bill being paid up to date .

When I eventually answered the phone and told them the bill was paid they wouldnt believe me and became quite aggressive.
    I just put the phone down on them, I wont tolerate this crap.

They kept on ringing daily for the next week before eventually they must have realised that the bill was in fact paid and they ceased their harassment.

They wont be ringing me anymore as I am switching to another provider ,one that will treat the customer with respect.

I have never encountered such appalling customer service .

Hi MisterAnarchy,

Sorry to read you wish to switch provider - if there is anything you would like us to clarify on your Electric Ireland account, do private message us your account number, name and address in full, and telephone number.

Regards,
    Una

Hi MisterAnarchy,

Sorry to read you wish to switch provider - if there is anything you would like us to clarify on your Electric Ireland account, do private message us your account number, name and address in full, and telephone number.

Regards,
    Una
    What would I need to clarify on my bill,its paid up to date as it always is.

What I would like you to do is pass on peoples comments here to the billing section and tell them to treat their loyal customers with some respect instead of being overly aggressive,rude and ignorant on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Glenalla wrote: »
    Hi Glenalla,

We're sorry to read this. If you've specified a date to have the bill paid by and the advisor has agreed to set up payment plan, you shouldn't be receiving another call in relation to this.

Would you like us to look into the matter for you? We would need your name, account number, address and telephone number or date of birth. You would also need to confirm you're the account holder.

Do let us know if we can help.

Regards,
    Aoife
    Don't need the matter looked into. I run a business and if I treated my customers the way you do I wouldn't have any. Best you sort out your customer relations from the ground up instead of offering to look into individual cases on here.

Chris

Hi MisterAnarchy,

Regards,
    Una
    una, 

there is nothing to clarify - you need to pass on information to the management of your contact center that they need to stop harrassing customers and you need to get rid of this dialling system or else update it that it recognises when loyal customers are paying and have clear accounts.

and i dont need a payment plan, ive been getting calls despite having a balance of €0 and getting calls this week despite paying €390 in the last month.  i pay my bills, but your system seems to not be able to recognise this.

calling customers on christmas eve looking for money on a bill thats only been issued a few days before hand?

absolutely disgraceful.

Hi again all,

Your feedback has been passed on - once again we regret to read of your unhappiness with your customer experiences.

If you are not in a position to pay a bill by its due date, do let us know (here on Boards.ie if you wish - we are online until 6pm Monday to Friday) and we can change the due date to one that will accommodate you, and put a note on your account, which will prevent the balance from being on the system as "outstanding" and leading to reminders.

Regards,
    Una

Hi MisterAnarchy,

Regards,
    Una
    To follow this up I have left Electric Ireland ,I had enough of their dreadful behaviour.

About 4 weeks ago I got my final bill in the post and 2 weeks later I got a letter demanding I pay up the final bill due (180 euro) or else legal action would be taken against me !

So I paid the bill in full that week .

Today I received a very nice Legal Demand Letter from a solicitor threatening to issue legal proceedings against me unless I pay the outstanding bill (which I have paid).:mad:

Is that anyway to treat a loyal and good customer ,one who has always paid their bills up to date and contributed tens of thousands to the company ?

I will never ever go back to Electric Ireland ,ye are a shambles of a company .

Hi MisterAnarchy,

We are sorry to read it.

To look into this for you and advise on it, we would require confirmation of your closed account details by private message - account number, name, address in full and telephone number.

Regards,
    Una

ive had yet another experience with this shambolic service....my new bill arrived yesterday morning and despite the fact that my balance was zero, i get a call a few hours later telling me the bill is overview and getting demands for payment.

the girl on the phone started threatening me "you will continue to receive calls until you pay", tell me when you are going to pay and despite the fact that i kept telling her that the bill was only just arrived that morning, she refused to listen and kept threatening me with being cut off.

ive reported the issue to her manager, this is the 3rd time ive had to make a supervisor complaint on the phone along with the numerous 

but its obvious that the complaints we are raising here and to the managers are being ignored.

Hi homerjay2005,

We are sorry to read of your unhappiness with how you were dealt with, and we in this department have been passing this feedback on.

We are limited in what we can say in relation to individual calls, as we require the customer's account information in order to look into the details and then advise/escalate if necessary.

If a customer will not have a bill paid in full by the due date on the bill, as per the credit terms, there may be reminders. However, if the customer contacts us to let us know that the bill will not be paid on the due date and advises us of the date they can pay the bill by (or dates if they need an instalment plan - allowing two or three working days for payment to reach the account) there will be no reminders once this information is inputted to the system. An instalment plan can be for the eight/nine-week duration between bills.

Regards,
    Una

Hi homerjay2005,

We are sorry to read of your unhappiness with how you were dealt with, and we in this department have been passing this feedback on.

We are limited in what we can say in relation to individual calls, as we require the customer's account information in order to look into the details and then advise/escalate if necessary.

If a customer will not have a bill paid in full by the due date on the bill, as per the credit terms, there may be reminders. However, if the customer contacts us to let us know that the bill will not be paid on the due date and advises us of the date they can pay the bill by (or dates if they need an instalment plan - allowing two or three working days for payment to reach the account) there will be no reminders once this information is inputted to the system. An instalment plan can be for the eight/nine-week duration between bills.

Regards,
    Una
    you are taking the piss here now with your constant rubbish about credit terms, all you are actually doing here is making customers frustrated and driving them away which is now what i will also be doing. why dont you just solve the problems as opposed to patronizing people and employing staff who are rude and agressive?

ive already told you, my balance was zero and i got a call looking to pay a bill that had arrived two hours before hand. 

i dont need an installment plan as my bills are always paid and cleared. its clear where the issue is, if the account goes overdue at any stage outside the origninal 14 days, your electronic system is not able to update itself and remove the overdue balance when its paid. then, when next bill arrives, despite the balance being zero, you are calling customers well within the 14 day period..this has happend me now on 3 occasions.

Hello again,

Reminders will only occur if the bill is not paid in full by the due date. We have to make mention of the credit terms (two weeks from the date the bill issues) because non payment within these terms is the reason for the reminders.

Once payment is made after the bill's due date, the system does not update immediately, because a manual payment does not come through instantly - but it will update shortly. If a customer lets us know beforehand what date they can have the payment made by, the system can be updated in advance, ensuring no reminder.

In the cases of a bill not being paid by the due date but paid subsequently, an instalment plan would need to be set up beforehand in order to eliminate reminders. We do understand it suits customers to pay their bill at stages past the due date, but the system does need to be "told" beforehand what dates these will be and when the final payment will be, otherwise the reminders will issue from Credit Control.

We in Customer Service can set up payment plans/defer the due date of a bill to a later one which would suit the customer. In the case of direct debits, we would require a minimum of six working days to change a bill's due date, as the direct debit is presented to the bank five working days in advance.

We do need to emphasise keeping in contact with us if a bill cannot be paid in full by the due date, and it is no problem for us to change the terms once we are made aware/given notice.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement