Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sooooo.... Anyone for perineal massage? :o

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭GavinusMaximus

Nead21 wrote: »
    Yep I did it last time for my first baby. I just used KY jelly as recommended by a midwife. I definitely think it helped as I only had a very small tear and I wasn't very bruised or sore afterwards.

I had a similar situation when I had my second baby. Wish I knew about the KY jelly for the first as the bruising/tearing was more serious I believe as a direct result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

tfak85 wrote: »
    Totally agree that all your questions should be answered and informed consent sought. While it may be scary you have the right to refuse consent, if you don't want someone to touch you, you can tell them no or wait etc. The majority of tears will be sutured with a continuous suture, so it's not possible to "count" them. The only time multiple sutures would be used is if you have something called button holing or grazes that are bleeding.

I was going to mention the continuous suture as well, that was what I was told when I queried it, that there wasn't a number of stitches as it was actually just one. But it was a junior doc that did the stitching and it went horribly wrong (you never want to hear the term 'gaping wound' applied to your nether regions!!)

I was fobbed off at first with some daft explanation that the reason the stitches came out was because of my fair skin. Now, I'm of typical irish colouring, pale and freckled, so not exactly outside the norm in an Irish hospital. I called shenanigans on that excuse when I spoke to the senior consultant and though she did not openly contradict the original doctor, she explained that the stitches were simply not deep enough to hold. So I would second making sure that your birth plan specifies that any suturing is done by someone experienced!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

tfak85 wrote: »
    Totally agree that all your questions should be answered and informed consent sought. While it may be scary you have the right to refuse consent, if you don't want someone to touch you, you can tell them no or wait etc. The majority of tears will be sutured with a continuous suture, so it's not possible to "count" them. The only time multiple sutures would be used is if you have something called button holing or grazes that are bleeding.

Or if you have layers of stitches? 3rd degree etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone know what used to happen in the past, before there was dissolving stitches? Did they have to go back after a week to have them removed or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

http://thejoyofthis.com/2013/03/15/birth-sensations-and-protecting-the-perineum-through-it-all/

This is quite a nice article about perineal care, the link about food to improve the skin integrity at the end is very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Should be in the habit of massaging it anyway. It's a erogenous zone with lots of lovely nerve endings for both partners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

qt3.14 wrote: »
    Should be in the habit of massaging it anyway. It's a erogenous zone with lots of lovely nerve endings for both partners.

nope.

NOPE.

Advertisement