Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Road 5k

• 10-12-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Is there or was there ever a national 5k road race in Ireland?

In the US, they have an established road scene with a national 12k road race held recently. A national 5k and a national road mile championships are big events every year too.

Would this work, if AAI invited the fastest senior athletes from the previous year based on an entry standard of say 16:00 for men and 17:50 for women? Then there could be heats with each age category, and maybe an open race for the masses. Held in April or May, venue changing every year. The idea might sound like a logistical nightmare but where there is a will there may be a way.

Would this work? I wasn't at the AAI AGM this year and I don't know the first thing about getting this off the ground. How does something like this get proposed or am I just an idealist with a crazy idea? It could be the connection between the road runners and the athletics that people always moan is lacking in Ireland.

Just think, a national road mile up Griffith Ave. Just copy the NYRR model from the 5th Ave. Mile. It could be like the Liffey swim, has a status, in the capital city, and people would enter different heats, ranked by their ability/age group.

Advertisement